The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts? Mackie1640i- or 2 profire 2626 or
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

Thoughts? Mackie1640i- or 2 profire 2626 or

i know there a lot of other options but I have it narrowed down to these two with where I'm at $ and what I think will work for my current needs.

2 profires or mackie 1640i. I can get the 2 profire's for 250.00 less then the mackie. gives me 16 channels with pre's

or

1 profire + some pre's and a hardware comp. could prob swing 2 profires and a comp.

i need at least 12 channels at once

obviously would have to be lower end pre's and comp. ie. FMR, ART

i am in the box right now(mbox), have good plugs, but would prefer a hybrid set-up to build upon. Mics are covered but i have no outboard pre's or comps.

btw: my first post! thanks to all the positive contributer's on this site. i've learned so much and it is appreciated.
Old 19th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony Mac View Post
i know there a lot of other options but I have it narrowed down to these two with where I'm at $ and what I think will work for my current needs.

2 profires or mackie 1640i. I can get the 2 profire's for 250.00 less then the mackie. gives me 16 channels with pre's

or

1 profire + some pre's and a hardware comp. could prob swing 2 profires and a comp.

i need at least 12 channels at once

obviously would have to be lower end pre's and comp. ie. FMR, ART

i am in the box right now(mbox), have good plugs, but would prefer a hybrid set-up to build upon. Mics are covered but i have no outboard pre's or comps.

btw: my first post! thanks to all the positive contributer's on this site. i've learned so much and it is appreciated.
I would get the 2626..I have the 610 (less i/o) and it put my POS mbox 2 to shame..sold the mbox 2 days after I bought it and took a loss..and was happy to do it to get the 610..a world of difference IMO..It's like lifting the blankets off your speakers, thats the only way I can describe it!! I use mpoweres nopw and nothing is different, the only thing is that you cant use the "complete production tool kit" with it but I dont need it...I have the MPT and it works great
Old 23rd November 2009
Sorry guys, but how many Mbox died so far? It seems a lot to me...

or am I plain wrong?

Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by i604 View Post
Sorry guys, but how many Mbox died so far? It seems a lot to me...

or am I plain wrong?

Kill 'em all!

Are you familiar with using a mixer? that would be the major determining factor here, either of these devices are going to provide you would a quality sound. I've heard a lot of great things about the onyx preamps. But will you be able to use this with pro tools? I don't believe so, therefore will you be willing to change daws?
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

The Onyx pre's are nice. And if you believe the word of Mackie, the new Onyx mixers have better specs and a driver support team in house. Also, supposed to be PT compatible with $69 driver purchase. I keep eyeing these, curious to see if the hype pans out.
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
The Onyx pre's are nice. And if you believe the word of Mackie, the new Onyx mixers have better specs and a driver support team in house. Also, supposed to be PT compatible with $69 driver purchase. I keep eyeing these, curious to see if the hype pans out.
If they have their own driver team I hope they get fired soon because they haven't done a damn thing about the 1640 drivers for aaaages.

that said, it's a great unit.

:(

Kind regards

Dave Rich
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Addict

new in house team is for the 1640i not the 1640. I think Echo designed the 1640.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear