The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summit 2ba-221 mod?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Summit 2ba-221 mod?

Does anyone know of a mod that can be done to a Summit 2ba-221 to reduce the hiss? Such potential in this unit - alas da NOIZ. I've changed the tube, but the noise is still present. What would need upgrading?

Thanks!

Stuart
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

How about contacting the designer/Summit audio and let them know what kind of noise specs you want from the unit and if they can help you achive them.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Nut

I sent mine back to Summit when I first got it due to a hum, but the hiss was still there when i got it back, same as my buddy's. Gain staging helps somewhat, but it never completely goes away. Great sounding, though.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I used to have a couple of these, and I don't ever remember a hiss. I wish now I had kept one. It was a nice compliment to my Millennia.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Just seems with all the mods that have been done to other units that SOMEONE brilliant would have found what needs upgrading in this thing. I put a NOS Valvo tube in which has added some wonderfl character, but OOO that hiss.

Jim Williams? Somebody? Any ideas?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds like a tube issue. I had one sent to me that was a little hissie. I use the 2ba also.
Talk to BOWIE on this, he is a great guy to get tubes from.

Hope that helps.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

nope, not the tube. In fact I GOT my Valvo from Bowie - great guy, great tube. You hear the distortion if you pump the preamp, like on a dynamic or ribbon mic.
Old 21st November 2009
Here for the gear

the 2ba 221 has a couple of ways of gain staging, try using the mic gain to get near the level you need and then apply the tube output to flavor for taste. The mic impedance knob can greatly change the way each mic reacts with this preamp. Remember NOS tubes may offer different and increased tonal capabilities, but can also be quite a bit noiser than the Summit spec'd tubes.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks, MT - actually, the Valvo tube brought down the noise a bit - an overall improvement in warmth and clarity too. Anyone out there using the 2ba, contact BOWIE and ask about the Valvo tubes.

I've used another, pricier Summit before and noise there isn't an issue, so there was definitely some cost-cutting that went into the 2ba-221 - I just wonder if it's possible to swap out the parts that made this little unit affordable - it's a neato-keen tool otherwise.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

You should really contact summit, Most pro audio companies are more then willing to go the extra step to satisfy their clients.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogger59 View Post
I sent mine back to Summit when I first got it due to a hum, but the hiss was still there when i got it back, same as my buddy's. Gain staging helps somewhat, but it never completely goes away. Great sounding, though.
It shouldn't be buzzing or humming at all. Is the unit plugged into a good ground?

Orlando
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlykeys View Post
It shouldn't be buzzing or humming at all. Is the unit plugged into a good ground?

Orlando
I have good grounding, and the hum went away when I got it back from Summit, but it still hisses.
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Head

I had not good grounding to my previous house...now ,good grounding,very good quality balanced cables and very little hiss(but that its not a problem).
the sound is really tubey and warm ,even in 12-1 oclock tube output knob.Maybe after 2 or 3 o'clock,the noise gets higher but that is normal.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear