The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chameleon labs ts-1 tips and/or mods?
Old 17th November 2009
Chameleon labs ts-1 tips and/or mods?

I have a stock TS-1 that I don't really use much. I know many people like it but I'm not really in love with the mic, and wondering if anyone has had any luck with other capsules or tube Mods? I've used it mostly for acoustic instruments (acoustic bass, clarinet, guitar, cello etc). I was hoping it would sound somewhat like my friends Neumann M582, but it didn't.
I think I can use any 451 mic capsule with the ts-1 right?
If you have any recommendations let me know. If I can get it sounding great I'd pick up another one for a pair for drums and piano etc.

cheers,
joel
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

try a new tube.

this mic has a chinese version of what is used in the mojave 100, and the royer tube/ribbon..........

get the tube used in the royer and you will most likely hear a different tone...

i am planning on buying these now that they lowered the price to $395 direct... as i have three 451eb's and would love to swap capsules for different tones.....

bong,
nathan
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
get the tube used in the royer and you will most likely hear a different tone...
thanks! could u point me to where i can find a good tube?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Let Marik (Mark) revoice the capsules.
He might do the Chameleon Labs.
He did my 603s and they sound fantastic!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldadrummer View Post
I have a stock TS-1 that I don't really use much. I know many people like it but I'm not really in love with the mic, and wondering if anyone has had any luck with other capsules or tube Mods? I've used it mostly for acoustic instruments (acoustic bass, clarinet, guitar, cello etc). I was hoping it would sound somewhat like my friends Neumann M582, but it didn't.
I think I can use any 451 mic capsule with the ts-1 right?
If you have any recommendations let me know. If I can get it sounding great I'd pick up another one for a pair for drums and piano etc.

cheers,
joel
Joel,

You'll need the ring adapter to use AKG (or BLUE/RED/other 451 threaded) caps: if you didn't get it with your TS-1, you'll have to order it.

I use my TS-1's a bit - usually for darker sources - I find the card cap a bit bass shy (unless RIGHT up on the instrument) but the omni sounds very good. Darker than most SDC's I own, I use them for bright sources I want tamed a bit, or for an instrument I prefer sounding less strident.

I've used the AKG CK1 capsule, as well as the BLUE R6 capsule on the TS-1's micamp - both are different flavours to what I know (451 micamp is a standard for me) and usable, context dependent.

I don't think they're a bad mic, just another choice from what I have. No idea about re-tubing them - I've not pulled it apart - might be worth checking out, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it being a 'life changing' moment...

Hope this helps,
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldadrummer View Post
thanks! could u point me to where i can find a good tube?
I'm not even sure you can access the inner guts, but - you could try fellow GS BOWIE - here's his email address:

[email protected]
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead View Post
Joel,

You'll need the ring adapter to use AKG (or BLUE/RED/other 451 threaded) caps: if you didn't get it with your TS-1, you'll have to order it.

I use my TS-1's a bit - usually for darker sources - I find the card cap a bit bass shy (unless RIGHT up on the instrument) but the omni sounds very good. Darker than most SDC's I own, I use them for bright sources I want tamed a bit, or for an instrument I prefer sounding less strident.

I've used the AKG CK1 capsule, as well as the BLUE R6 capsule on the TS-1's micamp - both are different flavours to what I know (451 micamp is a standard for me) and usable, context dependent.

I don't think they're a bad mic, just another choice from what I have. No idea about re-tubing them - I've not pulled it apart - might be worth checking out, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it being a 'life changing' moment...

Hope this helps,
agreed the cardioid cap is bass shy. been scared of Omni as my room is not so good. But I just moved into a real space and am working on treating rooms so will definitely try the omni. I have the stock set (i bought the mic new) but I don't see any ring adaptor, I guess I would just get that from Chameleon labs? I appreciate everyone's suggestions!

ps- has anyone upgraded the tube? is it easy?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear