The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tubes for ART Pro MP II
Old 17th November 2009
Tubes for ART Pro MP II

Hey all;

I am really enjoying my new ART Pro MPA II pre-amp.

Now in true Gearslutz fashion, I am already looking ahead to the inevitable 12AX7 replacement.

Any recommendations? I like the stock tubes....but I'm sure there's better.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear
Almost anything would be an improvement on the stock Chinese tubes that come in the Pro MPA 2. I put a nicely matched pair of NOS Telefunkens in mine (seems to be the tube of choice here for the MPA line) and I'm loving it. Much more detailed and super low noise. If your budget won't allow the Telefunkens (I paid $80 for my pair and only paid $235 for the Pro MPA 2), search through all the threads here on the MPA Gold. You'll find a lot of recommendations. Or get ahold of BOWIE (he's on here all the time). This guy sells vintage tubes and really knows his stuff. He will make some great recommendations based on your budget and what you're looking for soundwise. Hope this helps.

Larry
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Not trying to be a prick here, but have you tried the search function?

ART Tube Swap
ART Tube mod
Tube Swap
Any post from Bowie

Seriously, there are so many threads about tube swaps for ART stuff.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike View Post
Hey all;

I am really enjoying my new ART Pro MPA II pre-amp.

Now in true Gearslutz fashion, I am already looking ahead to the inevitable 12AX7 replacement.

Any recommendations? I like the stock tubes....but I'm sure there's better.

Private Message Bowie on these forums for all tube purchases, great guy, def not going to scam you for money or quality
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

If you're not looking to spend much, but still want a viable upgrade (anything - literally anything, is better than the tubes that come stock in ART gear) take a look at the new Mullard/New Sensor 12ax7's .... they're only ~$16 , but they're very nice...

I know there are vintage tubes that blow 'em away, but for $16 they cant be beat
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah View Post
Not trying to be a prick here, but have you tried the search function?

ART Tube Swap
ART Tube mod
Tube Swap
Any post from Bowie

Seriously, there are so many threads about tube swaps for ART stuff.
I did use the search function and indeed, when I previewed my thread, I read through the list of possible matches that popped up.
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by adathead 53 View Post
Almost anything would be an improvement on the stock Chinese tubes that come in the Pro MPA 2. I put a nicely matched pair of NOS Telefunkens in mine (seems to be the tube of choice here for the MPA line) and I'm loving it. Much more detailed and super low noise. If your budget won't allow the Telefunkens (I paid $80 for my pair and only paid $235 for the Pro MPA 2), search through all the threads here on the MPA Gold. You'll find a lot of recommendations. Or get ahold of BOWIE (he's on here all the time). This guy sells vintage tubes and really knows his stuff. He will make some great recommendations based on your budget and what you're looking for soundwise. Hope this helps.

Larry
This helps a great deal; thank-you! I'll look into the Telefunkens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
Private Message Bowie on these forums for all tube purchases, great guy, def not going to scam you for money or quality
As does this; thank-you as well!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

JJecc803s - very good, and new.

and use the high plate voltage.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrovolt View Post
JJecc803s - very good, and new.

and use the high plate voltage.
Also great advice - that switch is permanently in the "on" position.

Dank u wel
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

If you can find them, NOS Westinghouse 12DF7's. They're darker than a 12AX7, but in a delightful way, also very low noise.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Any suggestions for affordable tubes for the older MPA gold? I'm using lots of Rode mics (lots of treble) and don't wanna spend more than 60 EUR on a pair of tubes. Any store recommendations for Germany? Thomann doesn't really have a lot of choice in tubes.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowbar View Post
Any suggestions for affordable tubes for the older MPA gold? I'm using lots of Rode mics (lots of treble) and don't wanna spend more than 60 EUR on a pair of tubes. Any store recommendations for Germany? Thomann doesn't really have a lot of choice in tubes.
Don't know any stores in Germany, but Bowie ships worldwide.

You should look for people who build their own pre-amps and fix gear like this, they always know where to get tubes and may actually have them on hands.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Nut

Tung Sol 12ax7 Reissues are generally considered pretty good. Although not on par with the best NOS tubes. But they are inexpensive anyway!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear