The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure Beta 52 vs Audix D-6 (Kick Drum) Dynamic Microphones
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

try searching for front end audio's tuesday testers link for dynamic mics you can hear pretty much every mic that's been suggested here on kick drum. Should give you a ballpark to the tonal differences.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Well the 868 isn't like the D6, but nothing really is. I would say the 868 is more like the 52 but with a little more umph. Its just a little bigger. Its got a nice round tone too it. I hear that people love it for bass too but haven't tried it there yet.

I had the opus99 also to try out and that thing was a huge let down. I might have been just me but it did nothing for me.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
Well the 868 isn't like the D6, but nothing really is. I would say the 868 is more like the 52 but with a little more umph. Its just a little bigger. Its got a nice round tone too it. I hear that people love it for bass too but haven't tried it there yet.

I had the opus99 also to try out and that thing was a huge let down. I might have been just me but it did nothing for me.
I like the sound of the Beyer Opus drum mics but I wouldn't do studio recording with them....for live sound and live recordings they are great....but there are mics I'd rather grab especially when tone is the key....but for convenience and all that without sacrificing tone they are great mics.

Every mic being looked at is very different and all are good in their own ways I'd really suggest at this point since you have so many options to look at (or even if you just revert back to the original two) to try out the mics on your own and to get some sound clips of the different mics in action (comparisons would be especially nice). I think understanding how the mics fit into a mix is going to help you a lot more to find what you are looking for. Because all the mics you've been suggested to check out are in fact good choices, it's just a matter of which flavor you prefer.
Old 24th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonwannabe View Post
ditch both of those and look at the Heil PR-40. If that doesn't work for you find an ATM-25, e602, or e902.
Im for the ATM-25,amazing for anything with high SPL, try using it on a guitar cab too.
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Addict

I own and regularly use several kick mics live and in the studio including the B52 and the D6. I agree with a lot of the tonal and placement assessments made in this thread, but I think there is a lot more to it than that. For example, I would never use the B52 on a drum that doesn't sound too great. The B52 does not flatter anything you put it on. If the drum sounds amazing the B52 will sound amazing. On the other hand, the D112 will make anything sound like a D112, which is great as long as your drum doesn't sound better than a D112 :P . I really do love the D6 though. It delivers a very pliable sound, but is never as round and bass heavy as the B52.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search