The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oktava MK-220 Multi-pattern condneser, anyone have (tried) it?
Old 16th November 2009
Oktava MK-220 Multi-pattern condneser, anyone have (tried) it?

Hey folks!
As some of you might have read (don't think so) I'm considering an Oktava MK-319 (or MK-219 for that matter).
However I found another attractive deal (€209 = ~$310), it's an Oktava MK-220, dual diaphragm multi-pattern condenser microphone based on the MK-319. I can't find much about it (reviews), and I would like to hear some samples.
If anyone happens to have it, would that person be kind enough to record me one or two short soundclips?

Thanks!
CZ
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thats a great deal, can we enjoy it too?

Essentially its a multi pattern version of the mk319. Same electronics and capsule design. Will also benifit from resonance disk removal and FET upgrade.

Its not too popular since its not priced as low as the 319 and 219, you got a good deal on it. about 30-35% less then the usual MSP.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

here's an idea buy it and try it out for yourself.

Be the one to post some samples on here. Honestly what is the worst that happens you end up disliking it, selling/trading it for something else.

At the end of the day its a process of learning and discovery. You won't know what you like until you figure out what you don't.

Unfortunately buying any mic is a risk, just jump in and get it over with. I'm betting the 220 is an awesome mic.
Old 29th November 2009
*bump*
Is it a good idea to spend €209,- on the MK-220, or is the quality-loss so significant due to the multi-pattern circuitery that I'd be better off spending €40,- more on the MK-319?
Thanks.
CZ
Old 15th December 2009
Here for the gear

I had a MK220 for a trial recently, before this I had use MK012, MK101 (same capsule) ML53 (yes I'm an Oktava lover) I also use C414B-ULS, KSM141, ATM450, sE2200A.
I had use it for drum FOK, MS, guitar amp (had try each polar patern for this) and as an ambient mic in a very bright bath room for guitar and also vocals. After two days aof trial I give back the mic to the shop... 2 month later I bought it (the one I tried , same serial number)

There was two MK220 in this shop, the frequency charts were different mine is "in spec" when compared to the data on oktava web site the other was very irregular when looking at the frequency response sheet.

The mic is smooth and its sound is full but not dull. its not glassy as my 2200 (se electronics) and the proximity effect is usable (more than the C414 which I prefer for distant miking or thin sounding source)

My voice sound wonderful through this mic, really I had always hated my voice when recorded, that is not the case with this mike.

The comparison with the MK101 (same capsule) is surprising me. The MK101 is my "colored" mic, the one I use for dumb sounding harsh guitar amp, it roll of the highs in this application, but sound weird on voice / acoustic guitars (kind of a metal sound , may be a bad resonnance), with the MK220 it still a mellow sound but the highs are present but smooth and really pleasant to my hears.

On the guitar amp it sound very good (cleaner than a MK101) with more musicality than a C414, as expected figure of eight emphasised the low end but even when position closed to the speaker the sound wasn't dull or too bassy, it just sounded like a good ribbon microphone. Other patern sounds good too omni is lighter with more room and cardioid is in between (for the proximity effect only).

In bright harsh room this mike sounds good and still get a warm sound.

In front of a drum kit the whole spectrum is covered, even if I tend to prefer the C414 (which is an ace in this application) I have to say its a perfectly desirable sound. this microphone is perfect for drum room miking in FOK or MS

At 209 you can't go wrong IMO, but ask Natalia for the Omni (this will tell you about both capsules quality and matching), frequency charts and choose from it (keep an eye on the sensivity too, if you hesitate between two get the one that have the highest sensivity).

Don't hesitate to PM me with your email adress, I'll be glad to send you a picture of my frequency specs.
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Would you mind giving us a look on whats inside?
The capsule is the same design as the 219/319 just dual diaphram but I wonder if
they changed anything in the electronics.
Old 15th December 2009
Here for the gear

I don't know if it's a change in the electronics, Oktava web site say it share the same capsule and electronics contained in 219/319.
I wonder how they achieve a 140dB capability... may be an unwanted but usefull effect of the multipatern circuitry....
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear

Same electornics could mean same design, not same exact parts.
Extended SPL handling is also suspicious if they claim not to change anything.
Dual diaphram shouldnt be able "to take" more spl then single diaphram just because of the add diaphram.

Come on, just a simple screw and we get to see it naked.heh
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear

Isn't it weird that the multipattern version of a mic is cheaper than single pattern version?

BTW, vetter, Does you're 101 frequency responce look similar to one in Oktava site? Mine is quite similar, I think. Haven't
found it to sound metallic, little resonant though, reminds me bit of a U87. Haven't played too much with it yet, so I'm not sure if like that sound or not. Maybe some damping inside the capsule head would help make it sound cleaner..
Old 21st December 2009
I have my 319.
It's one checked in 2005, guessing it's from an old stock.
The frequency graph is nowhere near similar to the one on the Oktava website.
I was done for €190 with SM-319 shockmount and shipping costs. What a bargain.
Here's the plot:

I would like to pick up an MK-220 or two someday though.
📝 Reply