The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
blue robbie?
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

blue robbie?

whats your guys take on the blue robbie for soley vocal tracking? i did a search and from what i dug up it sounds like a 737? can you over drive this pre? or is it just super clean?it has low noise floor i take it too right?
Old 15th November 2009

im not sure on vocals but i have ran bass through it and it sounded pretty clean, and there was little noise.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Since no one posts blue robbie samples, I'l lose some shame and post one.

I did some bars in spanish to I can transform ya. The first part has the music in the background, the other half is just the vocal track with no music or effects added. This was recorded in an untreated room.

Chain

SM7b > Blue Robbie > RME ADI-2 > via SPDIF > Mbox2

Robbie was at max gain. I also engaged both switches behind the SM7b to ON.

http://kesslerjesus.tumblr.com/
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
Since no one posts blue robbie samples, I'l lose some shame and post one.

I did some bars in spanish to I can transform ya. The first part has the music in the background, the other half is just the vocal track with no music or effects added. This was recorded in an untreated room.

Chain

SM7b > Blue Robbie > RME ADI-2 > via SPDIF > Mbox2

Robbie was at max gain. I also engaged both switches behind the SM7b to ON.

http://kesslerjesus.tumblr.com/

thanks! i dont speak spanish (vietnamese is my second language) but i do speak hip hop and dat sample was mad nice. i think its cool that you used a sm7b which i used to own and love btw! from the second half of the sample i get the impression you can really push this pre hard in a nice way! FYI i will be using this pre with a ksm32 if i do end up purchasing one. i can get one for 550 i think i better jump on it. my last boutique pre i owned was a ua la 610 and it will be missed but i hope this will take her place just fine. thanks again for the sample cool track!! i loved it!
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

I have a robbie i use with the Blueberry and 4060 its a great vox pre . nice when layering rnb type vox. you can juice up a vox by driving it a bit harder some times i switch the pad on so i can drive it harder without clipping my converters. really nice sound
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

The robbie is essentially a very transparent mic pre,
Its transformless and the tube plays a really minor role.
You can google and see the schematics.
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

today is purchasing day! im torn between the robbie or bla auteur for soley vocal tracking applications. i can get either of them for about the same price point. hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I know the auteur has more of a character to it with a tight beefy low end and smooth highs.

The blue robbie is a very clean transparent pre, Call it colorless but pro sounding.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Milennia is also colorless but pro
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear