The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
cheap headphones amp with a "mix" knob?
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

cheap headphones amp with a "mix" knob?

So here's my problem:

Until recently, I was recording my home stuff with a Tascam FireOne. Not the greatest of interfaces, but the preamps are quite nice, the jog wheel is awesome (although it makes Logic crash a lot...) and what I love most is that there's a analog knob for monitors output, 2 headphone outs with knobs and one "mix" knob where you can mix the signal from the inputs (latency free) and the DAW output. Even at the lowest buffer settings, the latency when recording vocals annoys the hell out of me so I stick to analogue monitoring.

Now I wanna upgrade my rig a little, I already have an ECHO AudioFire 4 (much, much better DAC and ADC, also 2 more ins and outs) and just got an ART MPA Gold (2 channel tube preamp) on eBay.

Now here's my problem: The Audiofire has no hardware knob for monitor output and only one headphones out (which is routed after the main bus in the software mixer). So there's no convenient way to hear just on the headphones. There's also no easy way to adjust the balance between direct monitoring and playback (the "mix" control on the Tascam). But there are 2 stereo output pairs on the audiofire.

What I'm looking for is something where I can mix 2 stereo signals together, get that to two or more headphones and a volume control for the monitors.

I already found the SM Pro Nano Patch as a passive knob for the speakers (does it really not influence the sound?) but that doesn't solve my monitor mix problem. Any ideas? I don't care that much about sound quality when monitoring.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear