The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
original RME mulitface converters vs...
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Head

original RME mulitface converters vs...

is it worth buying the original multiface (mk1) for $400?
it is almost 9 years old and i was wondering how is it comparable to todays cards in similar price range?
i cant decide if i should grab it or something else with newer ad da chips
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear
The short answer is that you might get better conversion for 2 channels at that price but not for 8. It's a great investment at $400. If you want better, you'd have to go for the Multiface II or the Firefaces, with the corresponding price difference.

However, I bought a used RME ADI-Pro (max 48 kHz SR) in the last year which was really expensive 8 years ago and has better specs. I didn't expect there to be a great difference but when I A/Bed it against my Multiface I, I was honestly surprised to find a distinctly audible difference in favor of the ADI. There is clearly more clarity, detail and "air" in the ADI.

I imagine the difference between my ADI and say a high-end Lavry or Prism to be equally a step up. Hope to get there...
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Head

the problem is that the multiface comes with a pci card and since im using a laptop i would need to buy the expresscard which sells for $600+tax (approx 700 total) here in canada

so at this point im wondering if its worth to spend $1100 on a original multiface (i cannot find a used rme expresscard at a decent price in the last month)
📝 Reply