The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any one else getting pissed? Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 14th November 2009
  #1
Any one else getting pissed?

Anyone else getting pissed that you can't have a recording computer that doesn't connect to the internet. These software companies are making us rely WAYY to heavily on the internet to "activate" their products. My computer does not touch the internet for the same reason that a lot of you don't have yours connected. I've had to download numerous cracks for my legit software merely because I do not like to have my computer on the net. Now, I could connect for a few seconds to activate. The problem is, My copy of windows does not come with network capable software. It does not have .NET, TCP/IP, CLIENT, WORKSTATION, or NETWORKING. Hell it doesn't even come with defrag. It is a bare bones system with the windows base. That is it. The reason I have this is because if you look at your resource usage you will probably see around 200MB ram and somewhere around 5% on the processor, mine is at 62.4MB of ram and 0% idle. My windows does nothing but record and edit audio. So, software companies had better straighten up or I'm going to go to hardware. Meaning tape recorders. Not kidding!
Old 14th November 2009
  #2
Gear Addict
 
Jay Dee's Avatar
 

I'm assuming you have another computer that is connected to the net? Just transfer any challenge-response authorization files via USB thumb drive from your internet machine to the DAW. I've been able to keep my DAW un-connected in this manner for many years.
Old 14th November 2009
  #3
my daw computer is always on the net
Old 14th November 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Lifted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFX357 View Post
Anyone else getting pissed that you can't have a recording computer that doesn't connect to the internet. These software companies are making us rely WAYY to heavily on the internet to "activate" their products. My computer does not touch the internet for the same reason that a lot of you don't have yours connected. I've had to download numerous cracks for my legit software merely because I do not like to have my computer on the net. Now, I could connect for a few seconds to activate. The problem is, My copy of windows does not come with network capable software. It does not have .NET, TCP/IP, CLIENT, WORKSTATION, or NETWORKING. Hell it doesn't even come with defrag. It is a bare bones system with the windows base. That is it. The reason I have this is because if you look at your resource usage you will probably see around 200MB ram and somewhere around 5% on the processor, mine is at 62.4MB of ram and 0% idle. My windows does nothing but record and edit audio. So, software companies had better straighten up or I'm going to go to hardware. Meaning tape recorders. Not kidding!

It is kinda annoying. I just don't get why you need another code, for a code that is already given to you with the software you buy.

It's like a stealing proof, you BOUGHT the hardware with the licensed CD, now you need a licensed KEY ...check....BUT NOW...you need another key for your licensed KEY with a valid email address. LMFAO

Ridiculous. heh

I know going to the internet on my recording computer is a no-no, because it's Windows XP, I'm made up my mind to install 2 systems on my Hard Drive: Hackintosh and Windows XP, that way I can have the internet and the recording set-up going.

I have licensed Macintosh laptop and that **** is a ****ing iron curtain when it comes to viruses.
Old 14th November 2009
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee View Post
I'm assuming you have another computer that is connected to the net? Just transfer any challenge-response authorization files via USB thumb drive from your internet machine to the DAW. I've been able to keep my DAW un-connected in this manner for many years.
True, there are some that do this, but there are about three that don't. Including my Lexicon MX400.
Old 14th November 2009
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
It is kinda annoying. I just don't get why you need another code, for a code that is already given to you with the software you buy.

It's like a stealing proof, you BOUGHT the hardware with the licensed CD, now you need a licensed KEY ...check....BUT NOW...you need another key for your licensed KEY with a valid email address. LMFAO

Ridiculous. heh

I know going to the internet on my recording computer is a no-no, because it's Windows XP, I'm made up my mind to install 2 systems on my Hard Drive: Hackintosh and Windows XP, that way I can have the internet and the recording set-up going.

I have licensed Macintosh laptop and that **** is a ****ing iron curtain when it comes to viruses.
I have a linux machine next to my DAW right now. Just curious, what did you do to get your hackintosh to work?
Old 14th November 2009
  #7
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

My DAW computer is not connected to the internet, but my laptop is...
Old 15th November 2009
  #8
Actually, if you have a router, the computer is never 'connected to the net' unless it actively goes out and makes connections. It's not exposed in any way to the internet unless it chooses to make such a connection proactively. No one outside your router can make an incoming connection to any machine in your network unless you allow it by setting up a port forward in the router.

It will do some talking to other computers in your network, so there's a little possible danger there, if you allow other systems in your network to become infected, and then pull over stuff from those other systems and run it on your DAW.

But you can pretty easily just disable the TCP/IP connection when you don't want it to be able to connect to anything, without completely removing networking from the system. So that, if you do need to upgrade something, it's just a matter of reenabling the TCP/IP connection again for long enough to do that.

On the resource usage front, you can get the memory usage down significantly by just selectively turning off services, and importantly just dump the XP look and feel service. The machine will go back to a Windows 2000 type of look, but it hardly matters on a DAW, and the resource savings is substantial just from that one thing. There are various web sites that will give you a list of the services that are not really necessary if you don't feel comfortable selecting them yourself.
Old 15th November 2009
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
mistervenable's Avatar
 

I feel ya.

I can't wait until you have to register and connect your outboard gear to the Internet. It'll be a sad day in studioville.
Old 15th November 2009
  #10
Always connected. No Problems here.
Old 15th November 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
KRStudio's Avatar
 

I can't wait until you have to register and connect your outboard gear to the Internet. It'll be a sad day in studioville.tutttutt

God PLEASE don't give people ideas like that! You know someone will try it.dfegad
Old 15th November 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Lrmusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistervenable View Post
I feel ya.

I can't wait until you have to register and connect your outboard gear to the Internet. It'll be a sad day in studioville.
That will actually be a serious concern within the next 500 years with the advent of the "atom duplicator", allowing you to copy/paste physical materials. To circumvent this, you'll have to go to the company's headquarters and get the i-lok (they'll rule the world 500 years from now) planted in your brain!
Old 15th November 2009
  #13
Ever since I went to a MacBook Pro (last month) I've been able to be surfing on the net while recording. No registration issues, here (although I did pay for my software and hardware). I even get updates. 4 gigs of RAM Dual Core doesn't hurt, I suppose.

I went from PC to Mac....and I can't believe the difference.... I'm not used to having stuff work!
Old 15th November 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
dannygold's Avatar
 

I have not and will not ever use the internet.
Old 15th November 2009
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
AmongstTheLiving's Avatar
 

How much software are you regularly buying that this is actually a problem? It takes an extra 2 minutes to transfer the challenge and back.

Would you buy more if you didn't have to answer the challenge question? No

Would it be easier for people to steal if you didn't have to answer the challenge question? Yes
Old 15th November 2009
  #16
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
I have not and will not ever use the internet.
Agreed! The internet is for . . . wait, that's me.
Old 15th November 2009
  #17
Gear Addict
 
dub3000's Avatar
wait - so, people are STILL keeping their DAW machines isolated? this is 2009!

edit: point taken on the RAM usage but Windows is usually smart enough to keep most of that stuff paged out of main RAM. and my "running everything" bloat machine (core 2 duo) idles at less than 1% cpu usage, even with a browser open.
Old 15th November 2009
  #18
You will all roll your eyes, but I use MACs and I have no issues. I am on the internet all the time. In fact, my DAW computer is also my computer for most everything else. No issues. Plus RAM is really cheap anymore, so I have my machines maxed out. I never run out of power. On the other hand, I can appreciate that everyone has hardware they bought for their machines, so I am not advocating switching or anything like that, I am simply sharing my experiences with MACs. I have been using them for 13 years and I never have the problems my friends run into. Oh well, we all work it out, right?
Old 15th November 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Lifted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
You will all roll your eyes, but I use MACs and I have no issues. I am on the internet all the time. In fact, my DAW computer is also my computer for most everything else. No issues. Plus RAM is really cheap anymore, so I have my machines maxed out. I never run out of power. On the other hand, I can appreciate that everyone has hardware they bought for their machines, so I am not advocating switching or anything like that, I am simply sharing my experiences with MACs. I have been using them for 13 years and I never have the problems my friends run into. Oh well, we all work it out, right?

MACs are THE **** dude, I still use Windows XP, but I'm so used to "hot corners" feature on Mac, that every time I run my mouse to the right top corner to minimize all windows on XP, I start freaking out like: "WHAT A FFFFFFFFFU-CK....DUDE!?....oh....Windows....hahaha"
Old 16th November 2009
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
AmongstTheLiving's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
wait - so, people are STILL keeping their DAW machines isolated? this is 2009!

edit: point taken on the RAM usage but Windows is usually smart enough to keep most of that stuff paged out of main RAM. and my "running everything" bloat machine (core 2 duo) idles at less than 1% cpu usage, even with a browser open.
I keep my DAW isolated. Why take the chance? It would probably be ok, but I sure as hell don't want to risk it. I've got plenty of computers that cruise the net. I really don't mind setting my laptop right next to my DAW to transfer challenge questions or update plugs.

Rather be safe than sorry when dealing with my workstation.
Old 16th November 2009
  #21
Lives for gear
 
MrCrowbar's Avatar
 

- Buy software, unpack just the serial number thingie and the manual, put the box in a shelf or something.
- Download software from some other source with cracks and all, install that.
- Keep the manual where you usually spend your time waiting around for stuff to happen. Near the toilet is a good idea. Most things I learned by heart were learned while sitting on the John. Knowing your software by heart is good for your workflow.

Adobe is pissing me off for that reason, you can't get official products to work right, whereas the pirated copies work like a charm. Apple kind of doesn't care, some of their apps don't even want a serial number, just copy to the Applications folder and enjoy.
Old 16th November 2009
  #22
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

I am on my "studio computer" right now. Honestly, I really want to just take it off the net. Or more so, upgrade and keep my new machine off the net. I just don't see it happening. Being PC based, I feel some windows updates are really worthwhile (most arn't). Most of my software has worthwhile updates that I don't see myself spending the time to download to my laptop, just to transfer it over. I just can't see myself off the net and it seems like it's only going to get worse. Don't get me wrong, I love software updating when new products come out and having great support, I just don't see it happening for me.
Old 16th November 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 
noah330's Avatar
My DAW is a Mac Pro with no internet connection. Runs great, so I never even do the Apple upgrades.

I have some IK Multimedia, Native Instruments and a UAD and Duende that I needed to register.

I have a Mac Book Pro and a PC that are online. I just use a USB drive to share the authorization files - or to move a text file with the info I need to register.

Since I only have to register everything once it's not that big a deal.

I could put the machine online wireless (like the PC next to it and my laptop) but why bother?

One big reason I don't have it online is not so much to avoid viruses but to avoid going online and surfing the net instead of working on my music.
Old 17th November 2009
  #24
Lives for gear
 
carllock's Avatar
 

I stay on the net 24/7 due to the nature of my workstation (Open Labs), I even to the "evil" music DAW thing and have anti-virus software running while running productions...no problem other than getting rid of the odd malware or trojan or two.
Old 17th November 2009
  #25
Gear Head
 
saguinus_gr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
MACs are THE **** dude, I still use Windows XP, but I'm so used to "hot corners" feature on Mac, that every time I run my mouse to the right top corner to minimize all windows on XP, I start freaking out like: "WHAT A FFFFFFFFFU-CK....DUDE!?....oh....Windows....hahaha"

You can Minimize all in windowz too


I'm not getting pissed with the authorizations though....
Old 17th November 2009
  #26
soulstudios
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFX357 View Post
Anyone else getting pissed that you can't have a recording computer that doesn't connect to the internet. These software companies are making us rely WAYY to heavily on the internet to "activate" their products. My computer does not touch the internet for the same reason that a lot of you don't have yours connected. I've had to download numerous cracks for my legit software merely because I do not like to have my computer on the net. Now, I could connect for a few seconds to activate. The problem is, My copy of windows does not come with network capable software. It does not have .NET, TCP/IP, CLIENT, WORKSTATION, or NETWORKING. Hell it doesn't even come with defrag. It is a bare bones system with the windows base. That is it. The reason I have this is because if you look at your resource usage you will probably see around 200MB ram and somewhere around 5% on the processor, mine is at 62.4MB of ram and 0% idle. My windows does nothing but record and edit audio. So, software companies had better straighten up or I'm going to go to hardware. Meaning tape recorders. Not kidding!
Meh. **** it, companies have a right and a need to protect their IP because ****s steal it all over the net. It's atrocious.
Even the smallest amounts of copy protection deter lazy criminals.

The situation is this way because the public is greedy and lazy. If you want the situation to change, start discouraging piracy.

And all the arguments about stuff like this causing piracy are complete bunk. All the data shows that stuff which is protected gets pirated less.
Most of the smaller companies who've put out stuff on the net without any forms of copy protection have gone under as a result.

Adding basic internet connectivity back into an nLite/vlite setup is a no-brainer, and doesn't take significantly more computer resources.
No activation software I know of requires .NET, which I recognise is huge and bloated and annoying (but necessary for a lot of software).

I sympathise with you wanting to have a more streamlined setup, but removing internet support is a bit silly IMHO.

I wrote the XP tweak guide on xpfree.org, run an nlite'd setup so I get the whole shtick.
[email protected]
Old 17th November 2009
  #27
soulstudios
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
You will all roll your eyes, but I use MACs and I have no issues. I am on the internet all the time. In fact, my DAW computer is also my computer for most everything else. No issues. Plus RAM is really cheap anymore, so I have my machines maxed out. I never run out of power. On the other hand, I can appreciate that everyone has hardware they bought for their machines, so I am not advocating switching or anything like that, I am simply sharing my experiences with MACs. I have been using them for 13 years and I never have the problems my friends run into. Oh well, we all work it out, right?
I've run windows all my life, but I'm not an idiot, so I haven't had any viruses in that time. If you run internet explorer and/or download stupid **** without viruse-scanning it, then yeah, of course you will get viruses.
But it's Internet Explorer, and users, not Windows, that's the problem.

If Mac had more than the lousy 3-5% market share it has, that's what the crims would be writing the viruses for.

Even linus torvalds said the OSX kernel was terrible. (it's probably improved since then though).
Old 17th November 2009
  #28
Gear Head
 
odavy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongstTheLiving View Post
I keep my DAW isolated. Why take the chance? It would probably be ok, but I sure as hell don't want to risk it. I've got plenty of computers that cruise the net. I really don't mind setting my laptop right next to my DAW to transfer challenge questions or update plugs.

Rather be safe than sorry when dealing with my workstation.
+1

I use my trusty old XP laptop for auth / upgrades / patches etc, with my shiny new win 7 machine sitting there going "what's all this I hear about them internets?"

I just can't see a decent reason to put it online.
Old 17th November 2009
  #29
Gear Addict
I have not had this problem and I'm on PT8, but I'm on a Mac.
Old 17th November 2009
  #30
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstudios View Post
I've run windows all my life, but I'm not an idiot, so I haven't had any viruses in that time. If you run internet explorer and/or download stupid **** without viruse-scanning it, then yeah, of course you will get viruses.
But it's Internet Explorer, and users, not Windows, that's the problem.

If Mac had more than the lousy 3-5% market share it has, that's what the crims would be writing the viruses for.

Even linus torvalds said the OSX kernel was terrible. (it's probably improved since then though).
The first OSX worth having was Panther. Leopard is great and Snow Leopard rocks, but PT has not caught up to Snow Leopard.

However, I do not take ANYTHING Linus Torvalds says seriously. He WISHES he could make money the way Apple does.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
hepcat / The Moan Zone
40
gearaddict / The Moan Zone
5
ultima / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
13

Forum Jump
Forum Jump