The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any one else getting pissed?
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

+1 for leaving it off the net. I have my DAW is never connected to the net, anything i need transfered to it is via flash drive. I just like to keep any and all distractions to a minimum.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I don't leave my studio daw connected live to the net or the router since it's rare that I need to go on the net from there anyway. When I do I "enable" the network card or switch wireless on I'm on the net in about 10 seconds. When I finish I disable it. No biggie. It's like a light switch, you can turn it on and off at will.... so I don't see the big deal.

Switch it off until you need it if you want it off. Computers can do that. heh

You probably put your daw system under a bigger threat from viruses from inserting data CD's / DVD's / Flash drives from clients or friends (if you don't have anti-virus running) than going on the internet through a fire-walled router.

Why anyone needs a live Internet connection during a tracking or mixing session is beyond me unless it's a remote. Of course, afterward you might want to email or upload an mp3 of a mix or something.
Old 18th November 2009
Here for the gear

connect your computer to the internet via a router.

install a program called little snitch.....little snitch allows you to tell your computer which messages to 'send out' and which message to 'come in'. for my DAW dedicated comp, i only allow the DAW software to 'send out' and 'come in' via the router.......
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

I guess my pet peeves are more with downloading software, and after trying to follow directions to the letter, end up spending hours trying to sort everything, files in the right folders, dingles, iloks, keys, activations codes etc. and everyone has to be different in their approach, and I find myself lost everytime. So then I decide I am going to order software from a vendor and get the cd, but they inform me it is a download, and they will email my activation codes, and I need to register online and get another code, geez!!!! And I'm always the first one who's ever had a problem like that, always!!! Seemingly it should be easier, and usually cheaper, but it isn't easier, and I really have to decide how bad I need or want any more software because of the copyright protection schemes. Personally I would rather just pay them a fee and then pay another small fee to a hack to get the thing up and running trouble-free,lol, if that was possible!!!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear