The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MXL Genesis or V67 Mod?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Head

MXL Genesis or V67 Mod?

I was recently offered a brand new MXL Genesis mic for $267, an MXL v67g mic for $65, an MXL R44 for $35, an MXL V89 for $140 and an MXL V88 for $89 for the studio and was wondering what my benefits here would be for the studio. Also, what mods are available for the price that may be a good determining factor.

I have a buddy that works for Blue and we've found that the Bottle Rocket Stage 1 w/B6 cap and the Blue mouse work well for my voice.

Just wondering what would be suitable for my voice which has been described as Sounding very Mike Patton-eque. I already have both the Sterling ST51 and SM7b for vocals. It would be going through a Chameleon Labs 7602 MK1 (Non Modded) pre into an M-Audio DUO A/D spdif into the MBOX 1, out of the MBOX into the KRK Ergo system into my M AUDIO DSM2 monitors.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers85 View Post
I was recently offered a brand new MXL Genesis mic for $267, an MXL v67g mic for $65,
get them both!

see if you like either one, if you don't, turn around and sell the ones you don't like. for that price, the question is: WHY NOT?!?!?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Cool

[QUOTE=nrogers85;4782460]I was recently offered a brand new MXL Genesis mic for $267, an MXL v67g mic for $65, an MXL R44 for $35, an MXL V89 for $140 and an MXL V88 for $89 for the studio and was wondering what my benefits here would be for the studio. QUOTE]

Any chance that R44 is still available?!?! I'm looking to get a second one.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

The Blue B6 is a 67 type dual backplate design which means that the MXL 67g should be rather close to it.
Upgrading the electronics and perhaps changing the transformer might result in a winner.
Old 15th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers85 View Post
I was recently offered a brand new MXL Genesis mic for $267, an MXL v67g mic for $65, an MXL R44 for $35, an MXL V89 for $140 and an MXL V88 for $89 for the studio and was wondering what my benefits here would be for the studio. Also, what mods are available for the price that may be a good determining factor.

I have a buddy that works for Blue and we've found that the Bottle Rocket Stage 1 w/B6 cap and the Blue mouse work well for my voice.

Just wondering what would be suitable for my voice which has been described as Sounding very Mike Patton-eque. I already have both the Sterling ST51 and SM7b for vocals. It would be going through a Chameleon Labs 7602 MK1 (Non Modded) pre into an M-Audio DUO A/D spdif into the MBOX 1, out of the MBOX into the KRK Ergo system into my M AUDIO DSM2 monitors.
Doesn't Mike Patton use the Sm7b?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear