The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which multi FX processor????
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

Which multi FX processor????

Here are a few multiple effects processors i found. I will be using them for live shows for our lead vocals.

Alesis quadraverb and quadraverb GT
yamaha spx90
sony dps-V55

And last i was really thinking of the DBX provocal.

I read a bunch about it and as for being well built and sounding good i know it does. But i did read the downfall is not much visual displaying, no meters for compression or sound level etc... I have the manual.pdf and tiem to screw with it so i was thinking it would be a good buy. Once set it wouldnt really need changing.

Any other unit suggestion would be great.

Thanks
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

Unfortunately I haven't used any of the items you've listed, but I can recommend the t.c. electronic M-One XL as a great affordable multi-effects unit. It's a fairly often-used unit for its delays and reverbs in the live sound world. I'm not as familiar with its modulation effects however; not sure if that's a part of what you need or not.

For something that IS a killer for its modulation effects, with somewhat less professional sounding reverbs, the Boss VF-1 (older model) is a beast.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

I remeber using TC Electronics a couple of times. Sonds well and controls are convinient.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TCEMONEXL

Cheerz!!!
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

Im also considering getting the lexicon mpx500??? i here really good things.

Thanks
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

This is so bizarre, and I've seen it time and time again: multi-effects discussions in Low End Theory never gain any momentum.

Come on people, we can't all afford H8000's, M3000's, and PCM96's.

Let's talk about affordable units that can give the OP good bang for buck for live vocal effects!
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFSound View Post
Im also considering getting the lexicon mpx500??? i here really good things.

Thanks
I love that box for vocals. A little verb and delay, sounds really nice.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think the TC M-One XL would be one of the better choices for live usage. It's a very common machine, easy to set-up, decent/good presets and the user interface is more clear than that of the Sony DPS-V55 (I have both).
Now the thing is, that TC usually goes for the more realistic reverb approach and Lexicon (in the budget series probably more than in the high-end stuff) goes more in a warm/lush/larger than life way for reverbs.
You could get a Lexicon LXP-1 (half 19" unit) for the Lexicon sound and maybe put a Boss VF-1 or SE-50 (or SE-70) in the other half-space for the more outlandish vocal effects.
Say $275-300 for the M-One XL (used), $100 for the LXP-1 and $100-125 for the SE-50 and you have 3 nice machines for $500!
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I love that box for vocals. A little verb and delay, sounds really nice.
+1 on the MPX550! I still use the marble foyer, number 47, all the time. And nothing anywhere does the forever reverb like 105. It's kind of a cornerstone of my world. And it's cheap!
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

LXP 1 or 5 is hard to beat at around $50 --- TC is by far the easiest to use --- and a true stereo or two-engine approach >> about $100+ for a used TC M-ONE
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

The used MPX500 i found was 199.99 USD. It has two engines and i believe some fx are stereo.

So would it be better to get the LPX1 or 5.

Would the MPX500 be good in combination with some of the other suggestions?

The only thing i found used from TC is TC M350? Dont know much about it.

Thanks
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The used MPX500 i found was 199.99 USD. It has two engines and i believe some fx are stereo.

The MPX500 is very stereo.

As for the LXP-1 and -5, make sure to get the remote with them. They are pretty hard to program without.

As the MPX is about 5 years newer, I would imagine it is fairly more advance. I think there may be a 16 vs. 24 bit difference as well.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

I still think there is warmth of fatness ~~ in the LXP 1 or 5 even better than our TC 3000 or PCM 70 -- it weighs much more than two full rack units --heavy and solid--

I believe the MPX500 is finally dual engine -- the early Lexi were stereo but, only certain patches > not as editable as TC's - -the TC units you can tweak any patch dual-mono, stereo , etc. ~!!
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Here is was i really need is one unit for his monitors. I know some do it some dont im gonna need a unit i can just add some subtle effects nothing much. Need to be able to possible edit effects? Im thinking LPX-5 ?

The second unit is for FOH im thinking the MPX500.

Thanks good to see an Effects thread keep some momentum Keep em coming
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Would the MPX500 be good in combination with some of the other suggestions?

The only thing i found used from TC is TC M350? Dont know much about it.

Thanks
Yes, the MPX500 is newer, it's the direct competitor of the TC M-One and the MPX550 vs. TC M-One XL.
The LXP-1 is very basic, but do a search on these forums and you'll notice a lot of love for it. LXP-5 is more delay/fx oriented, whereas the LXP-1 is more verb-oriented (it does have some chorusses and delays too).
Oh, and don't forget the Kurzweil Rumour; it's similarly priced as the M-One XL, but apparently in a (slightly) higher league.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Addict

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im checking with the store to see if the LPX-5 has the remote. Will it be worth the $70 bucks if it has no remote?

Thanks
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

No Remote With the LPX-5...

Watching 1 TC M one on ebay, otherwise i cant find too many of them.

I think for $200 the MPX500 is a great buy.

Cant find any of the suggested Boss ones.

What about an MPX 100 or something else from TC>

Thanks
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

What about the MX400 by lexicon? What about the TC M350?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Found a good deal on the MPX 500 and also found the LPX5 for $50 and the remote for $40. Whats the advantage of the remote? Can it be used with the LPX1? If so would either be good to add subtle effects to the singers monitor?

Thanks
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Sorry for so many post in a row. But i am going to be ordering these units tomorrow night with the singer.

I found a few of the LXP-5's and a few of the LXP-1's and LXP15's

Which would be better LXP-1 for a subtle reverb in his monitor (which is what im thinking) Or the LXP-5 delay's and Fx
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Nut

Would consider the TC M2000 from time to time its for decent prices on the used market available. The M-one isn't bad, but the M2000 is really a lot better. The MPX500 is also a useful unit, would say its the same league as the M-one.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
for a subtle reverb in his monitor
To be fair, practically anything would do for that application
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Found a good deal on the MPX 500 and also found the LPX5 for $50 and the remote for $40. Whats the advantage of the remote? Can it be used with the LPX1? If so would either be good to add subtle effects to the singers monitor?

Thanks
The MRC (remote) can be used with the LXP-1, LXP-1, LXP-15 and PCM70.
You can hook up 2 units directly at it (has 2 sets of MIDI I/O).

I do urge you to look closer to the TC M-One (XL) than the Lex MPX500/550, as the TC is easier to navigate and use, which is mandatory for live-usage IMO. And as far as a simple monitor-verb goes, the LXP-1 would be more than adequate for that, and just for such simple reverbs you don't need the remote.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Downloaded the manual for the M one xl to read through and i really like this machine. Seems very simple and i love how you can override default routing And the display is nice. I think we should order this one for FOH.

All the LXP-1's i found are around $200? a found 1 for half im checking out.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ill still probably end up getting the MPX500 for that lexi sound. I will let you guys know what i order.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

I was thinking if we just got the M ONE Xl for now i should be able the just use the two engines, 1 for FOH and one for himself.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

$200 is too much for an LXP-1 (maybe including the MRC remote, but that's it).
Normally, you should be able to find an LXP-1 for around $100 or sometimes even less.

An M-One XL + an MPX-500 (or 550) will cover a lot of ground too and you'll have both tastes of TC and Lexicon verbs.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Yea for $200 none have remotes?

Im thinking for sure the TCM1-XL and possibly in combo with either MPX500 or 550.

I would still like to get both the LXP1 and 5 with the remote.

Thanks
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
I was thinking if we just got the M ONE Xl for now i should be able the just use the two engines, 1 for FOH and one for himself.
Smashing idea! It will likely be fairly infrequently that you'd need to use a dual effect for FOH as the single effects are so great, so this is great plan.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
sometimes it's a question of what is available for pocket change.

I own:
-lexicon alex ($10 without power supply (9vac wallwart, had one at home)
-spx90 ($10 with "sometimes it gets quiet" issue... volume pot needed cleaning ;-)
-ibanez sdr-1000 ($100 I think more or less, a steal at that price, incredible smooth pro sounding studio reverbs suitable for vocals et al in my low budget opinion).

so for my outboard verbs, all told, $120 for 3 useful rack units. one of which is great on vocals, another has some useful vocal settings (alex: gold plate) and some other really amazing delay settings. The third of which has great symphonic modulations and several useful delays and utility verbs (spx).

that combined with my 2 outboard delay boxes (hd1000 (yea I know, uber cool/crazy harmonics delay/sampling box, I think it was something like $20), and the ibanez dd700 or whatever it is, basically a mono digital delay stomp box mounted into a rack module). Voila - very fun toys.

I do wish I'd kept my quadraverb though, I only paid $10 for it way back when, needed a wallwart psu as well (happens often it seems... prices drop like mad then :-). I must have sold it and don't remember doing it. dumbass.... some of the best ping pong delays you can get. on the lookout for one now but I doubt I'll ever get a deal like that.

So I kind of weigh it out. a meal out or a new box.

Then I just learn to make the most out of the gear I own (or have available to buy cheaply) rather than choosing the gear based on what everyone else says is best.

I DO research thoroughly before buying anything if I can though, like I researched before buying the alex, sdr1000 and hd1000. but the other two were spur of the moment things.

and honestly, any of those 3 verb boxes would be fine for your needs. the mpx500 is way overkill but also would be great for your needs. the mpx500 is, imho, quite a superior box (maybe not superior to my sdr1000 though...), bringing that magical lexicon shimmer to the average project studio for reasonable prices. but much below that model and I prefer the older boxes. the alex is a little weak, but still fun. doesn't have the shimmer of the mpx500 though... which would be nice.

I don't have anything that shimmers actually. But mostly that's because I needed quality reverbs that sit in a mix first and foremost. shimmer doesn't sit well 95% of the time.

My next verb purchase will be something like a lex 500 though... I really want that sound for female vocal ballads!

cheers,
Don
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Fi View Post
Smashing idea! It will likely be fairly infrequently that you'd need to use a dual effect for FOH as the single effects are so great, so this is great plan.
Thanks im sitting in the studio and the engineer has the M1-XL so i was able to hear it on his voice and i like it.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Just ordered the M1-Xl for 285.00 USD shipped to my door.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear