The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Home Studio Shopping List
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

Home Studio Shopping List

So me and my band mates plan on dropping a few grand on recording equipment for ourselves this christmas. We'll be recording Bass, Vocals, Acoustic and Electric Guitars, and Drums. The way we plan on doing it is as follows. Please let me know if im missing anything important, or if you know of better gear, etc.

- MSI GX630 Laptop running MOTU Digital Performer 7 and the Waves Renaissance Maxx Plug-In Bundle

- An Aphex 207d Stereo Tube Preamp running out through S/PDIF into an M-Audio Profire 2626 for 10 channels of live recording.

- As far as mics go, im getting in addition to the 2 SM57s i already have, 4 SM57s, an AKG D112, and two M-Audio Solaris Microphones. Vocals would be recorded with a solaris. 5 of the sm57s would be for each of our drummer's 5 toms. 1 SM57 would cover the snare. I'm still not sure what i want to use for the hi hat but for now . And we'd combine the 2 solaris's for overheads. And the d112 obviously would be for the kick drum.

Please let me know what you think. thanks!
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

search

"THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR NEW MEMBERS OF THE FORUM

Before you create a new post please help yourself and other forum members by trying to SEARCH for an existing thread before making a post. SEARCH FIRST, then post if you cant find what you are looking for!"
Old 14th November 2009
Here for the gear

there's been similar topics but none with the exact gear im asking about.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCHNIK View Post
Please let me know if im missing anything important, or if you know of better gear, etc.
Lot's of "better" gear. I wouldn't worry too much about a hi-hat mic.

You forgot cables, not being an ass, serious.
Old 14th November 2009
Here for the gear

cables of course. haha
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac
Equally as important as the gear you're looking to invest in, is the way your home "live room" will be treated acoustically.

You will need a lot of absorbtion/bass traps and if you can afford to buy some diffusion that too.

Look into GIK acoustics for a room evaluation, they're great.

Dont forget stands and more stands and tons of cables.

Two decent pairs of headphones are usually necessary, for drummers while they track and another for yourself or the guitar player.

A book called "The Art of Mixing" by David Gibson.

Some form of external harddrive.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

- MSI GX630 Laptop running MOTU Digital Performer 7

-

Please let me know what you think. thanks!
Motu DP is Mac only,you know that,doncha?
Old 14th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_z View Post
"THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR NEW MEMBERS OF THE FORUM

Before you create a new post please help yourself and other forum members by trying to SEARCH for an existing thread before making a post. SEARCH FIRST, then post if you cant find what you are looking for!"
Did you FINALLY sing up at GS just to waste space? This response is getting old and is only used to be an a*s hole...I think every one knows about the search function, we don't need you to point it out!
Old 14th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
Motu DP is Mac only,you know that,doncha?
oh....damn. that sucks haha.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cubase 5 maybe ?
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I've got a pair of 57's I'm selling for cheap. Find my thread in the classifieds or PM me.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Nut

treat the space 1st, alot of us don't care about it (like I did before), but honestly, it makes everything sound better once you get it treated. Then worry about the other stuff.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
treat the space 1st, alot of us don't care about it (like I did before), but honestly, it makes everything sound better once you get it treated. Then worry about the other stuff.
You can't very well record anything with a few grand worth of studio foam, diffusers, and bass traps now can you? Get the bare essentials first then worry about acoustic treatment.
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

we plan on recording in the small theater of my school for it's acoustics. we've worked it out with the principal and everything.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

There are two major aspects of a good drum sound (assuming of course, a great drummer and a great drumset) 1) is a great sounding room and 2) is quality overhead mics.

If you can get your room to sound good, I wouldn't rule out ribbons or omnis.

The best drum sound comes from quality overheads. Mic'ing the individual parts of the kit should come secondary.

I personally think you should get far fewer 57s. You should try getting different mics to give yourself more options. Audix D2s on toms is a good idea to have around and cost about the same as a 57.

But the most important thing you should do is get your room to sound good. If you have a low ceiling (say less than 12 feet) then you're going to need a lot of treatment.

A general good rule of thumb is a hard floor and a soft ceiling. Look around here on GS and look into making plenty of bass traps and you're probably want a decent amount of diffusion too. You'll want bass traps on the corners, on the floor to wall corners, on the ceiling to wall corners, on the ceiling and on the walls. If you have carpet on the floor you're gonna have to get that stuff up. Bare concrete is better than carpet on the floor. A wood floor is ideal.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
we plan on recording in the small theater of my school for it's acoustics. we've worked it out with the principal and everything.
That should work well on drums. But not for much of anything else. For guitar, bass, vox, you'll want acoustic isolation. Check out the Real Traps portable vocal booth.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

my bad + some actual contribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
Did you FINALLY sing up at GS just to waste space? This response is getting old and is only used to be an a*s hole...I think every one knows about the search function, we don't need you to point it out!
My bad. (and no, I actually meant to encourage searching)

Quote:
If you can get your room to sound good, I wouldn't rule out ribbons or omnis.

The best drum sound comes from quality overheads. Mic'ing the individual parts of the kit should come secondary.
+1 I've had rockin' success with just one nice LDC and a d112. Makes phase alignment a piece of cake. Fathead stereo pair with Blumlein bar on the way though!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCHNIK
Cubase 5 maybe ?
Reaper is pretty sweet (demoing mac version) and even better on PC. You can find exhaustive GS posts on this DAW. The license is only $60 for your use and you can try before you buy! That should free up some cash for nice mics / cords, stands etc...

What genre/style are you guys playing?
Old 23rd November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Its hard rock with a light progressive edge.
Old 23rd November 2009
Here for the gear

The easiest thing might be to just go find a good sounding, reasonably big space and ask if you can track drums there. Given your style of music you will be better served by borrowing a largish room, rather than spending a lot of money treating a small room that just won't allow you to get any air into the drum sound.

Vocals you'll want to track as dry as possible in a pretty dead space, as you'll be processing vocals later. Pretty tough to deal with room tone in a vocal after the fact. You can mask it, EQ it in context, but if it's there, you're stuck with it. The other instruments you'll go direct or close mic anyway so room treatment won't be quite as critical. Incidentally, often a decent sized living room with lots of overstuffed furniture, draperies book shelves and other knick-nacks often makes a better tracking room than many realize. There's lots of diffusion and the big soft funiture and picture window make good bass traps. Some of the long waves get sucked up by the sofa and some of them just leave the room through the window glass (but you want to cover the window with the drapes to avoid the high-frequency reflectivity of the glass.)
Old 24th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
My bad. (and no, I actually meant to encourage searching)

+1 I've had rockin' success with just one nice LDC and a d112. Makes phase alignment a piece of cake. Fathead stereo pair with Blumlein bar on the way though!

Reaper is pretty sweet (demoing mac version) and even better on PC. You can find exhaustive GS posts on this DAW. The license is only $60 for your use and you can try before you buy! That should free up some cash for nice mics / cords, stands etc...

+1000..Reaper is a very good program, I used it on a laptop and never really had any problems with it...OH ya, and it's cheap!!!
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Head

I would put a premium on Drum OH, in fact i would spend the cash on a small SDC for the Cheap a MXL 603 and them buy a $99 CAD 4 pc set for close mic toms. A good kick mic D112/d6/52 etc is a must. You are basically throwing away $100 if you stay in this you will eventually want to get better mics than the Cad, but they will take you a long way. I used them for quite a while.
also you can have the 603 modded as you grow.
Recording is like learning guitar you kinda start out with a usable squire then as skill and taste grows you progress up the food chain. The good thing is there are some cheap mics that down the road if you stay in the game can be modded to be on the "pro" level so your not out.
for my money starting out

you have 2 57's
Cad pac $99
Mxl 603's $200 i think they are on sale as a 2 pack right now
MXL V67 $99 or less check the bay
MK 219/319 $100 again chek the bay as low $75
Reaper - GREAT to learn with $60
I personally like the ART tube MPA gold with tube upgrade.
and rigid fiberglass budget $300 -$500

AND monitors shoot take your pick there

Ryan
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Fathead stereo pair with Blumlein bar on the way though!

Enjoy thumbsup

I bought mine earlier this year with Lundahls. All I can say is they're Pretty darn good.

Zipps
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Addict

You seem to be lacking a pair of monitors on your list.
Old 26th November 2009
Here for the gear

Yeah i forgot to mention monitors. I was thinking a pair of M-Audio BX8As with the BX10 subwoofer.
Old 27th November 2009
Here for the gear

stupid question: where would i connect the monitors in this setup?
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear