The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
knockoff jazzmaster vs squier telecaster
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

knockoff jazzmaster vs squier telecaster

A friend gave me a Lotus electric guitar (made in India) that copies the body shape of the Fender Jazzmaster. I know next to nothing about electric guitars (I'm an acoustic guy) , but I can say that the electronics are shot and the pickups are no good. Would it be cheaper to replace the electronics and pickups or buy one of the Squier telecasters for $230? I want to use it to add some ambient soundscapes to my largely acoustic songs. I'll also be using Logic 9 Express, upgrading from Garageband 2. Thanks for the feedback all you electric guitar guys.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

well how does the guitar sound and feel acoustically (unplugged).

If it plays well, is setup and intonated well, has a nice feel, good resonance, etc.

I'd say just replace the pickups and the electronics.

Over buying another cheapo guitar. No offense but stock squiers kinda suck.

If possible send me a pic and I'll take a look at what parts would run you and the types of things I'd suggest.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

I agree on the previous one. If the guitar sounds nice unplugged the pickup change could help. Otherwise it is a waste of money.

If the guitar does not sound good unplugged, I would recommend looking on Ibanez instead of squire. Some squires are good, but it is kind'a hard to find one. In general case Ibanez will out perform Squire

Ibanez GRG170DX Electric Guitar

Cheerz!!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Jazzmasters don't usually sustain all that well (but maybe this knockoff has a different bridge setup). I love my Costello Jazzmaster, but the stock bridge pickup was kinda thin and weak (and this guitar was fairly expensive!)

Curtis Novak sells some great replacement choices for relatively cheap!
P-90, Humbuckers, Tele pickups, Strat pickups all made to fit a jazzmaster body.

but yeah, you can always compare it to a squier tele on how it feels. if you like playing the JM knockoff more, go for it.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was ill yesterday and didn't get a chance to check in. I'll go ahead and post a picture or two of the guitar for your perusal. It actually feels pretty solid and plays well. Maybe you'll have some suggestions for replacement pickups. I don't necessarily want a jazzmaster tone (wouldn't even recognize it). I've always been partial to the tele sound over the strat sound. As I may have said in my original post, I'm using this guitar to fit into an acoustic, relatively folksy set of songs.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

cheap guitar

If your gonna buy a cheapie buy one of these
Xaviere Guitars
as good as the mexican standard version.

Ryan
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspecial View Post
Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was ill yesterday and didn't get a chance to check in. I'll go ahead and post a picture or two of the guitar for your perusal. It actually feels pretty solid and plays well. Maybe you'll have some suggestions for replacement pickups. I don't necessarily want a jazzmaster tone (wouldn't even recognize it). I've always been partial to the tele sound over the strat sound. As I may have said in my original post, I'm using this guitar to fit into an acoustic, relatively folksy set of songs.
"Curtis Novak sells some great replacement choices for relatively cheap!
P-90, Humbuckers, Tele pickups, Strat pickups all made to fit a jazzmaster body."
CurtisNovak.com - Pickups and Guitars | 828 396-3626

go to the "offset guitars" section of his site, there is a whole list of different replacements, even tele pickups.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have a Mexican Telecaster, and while it is thin sounding, replacing the pickup for a humbucker did help. It isn't a Les Paul, but still plays and sounds nice. Put a stacked JB in the bridge and you'll be set.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Here is a pic of the guitar's body, if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
knockoff jazzmaster vs squier telecaster-p1020063.jpg  
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

looks like a pretty straight forward guitar to setup. If possible I'd suggest you set the intonation (should be a small hex key to set string height on the bridge, a phillips screwdriver to move the saddles forward and back to set the intonation). I would also suggest either adjusting the truss rod yourself or taking it to someone EXPERIENCED so that your neck isn't all funky. Clean the fingerboard and make sure your frets are in good shape (you can do a level and crown yourself) but I'd suggest having an experienced tech doing it if you have no experience with it. The Taylor guitar site has a great PDF file for doing truss rod adjustments. A simple google search should clear up any other setup, fretwork, and intonation work. BTW I'd probably also suggest getting a bone nut and having it polished, cut, and sanded by someone with experience. A good nut makes a huge impact on your sound and I've yet to find a material that sounds better than some form of bone. My strings of choice are DR I'd strongly suggest finding the gauge you are comfortable with and trying some DR Hi Beams or Tite Fits (or one of their other models depending on the type of tone you are after) those just happen to be my favorites.

You have a traditional strat style tremolo, one volume, one tone, a pickup selector switch, a single coil in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge.

I'd replace the two pots with CTS pots, depending on the p/u's you get you'll want to also replace the capacitors of course the pickup selection will influence which grades you go with. I'd replace the output jack with a Neutrik or Switchcraft. I'd probably also suggest switching to a higher quality pickup selector.

Pickups are all up to you.

I like Lindy Fralins, DiMarzios, and Seymour Duncans best myself as far as replacements go.

If it were me going for pickups I'd probably try a DiMarzio '54 Pro in the neck it's got a nice woody sound (it'd give you a nice single coil vibe with a bit of bite so it can hang with the hotter humbucker in the bridge) and a DiMarzio Air Classic or EJ bridge humbucker (both are great sounding pickups with lower output than most humbuckers which I prefer because they are more dynamic and responsive to my playing but they also pair better with lower output neck/middle pickups like single coils).

If I were doing Duncans and you want a bright (more Tele-ish sound) I'd go with a Twang Banger single coil in the neck if you want a more traditional stratty sound in that position I'd try a Five-Two single coil and a '59 humbucker in the bridge. If you aren't afraid to really mod a set of Duncan P-Rails would give you infinite tonal options I'd suggest doing a 3 way switch for pickup selection bridge-both-neck wiring, then a 3-way switch to choose both coils, P90 tone, Rail tone I'd also suggest doing a push pull tone pot (so you can switch from series to parallel wiring for your humbucker mode). I'm about to install P-Rails in at least one of my 9 guitars setup with all the fixins I described.

If you go the boutique route Lindy Fralin is great to work with he pretty much will build you whatever you want, in this case I think buying pickups like that would be overkill since the guitar probably isn't worth what the pickups would cost.

Buying better tuning machines and possibly a new tremolo bridge might not be too far off as future upgrades either.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Nut

OH man I've heard good things about the Xaviere guitars. Their jazzmaster copy seems legit too. I may check it out.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubb View Post
OH man I've heard good things about the Xaviere guitars. Their jazzmaster copy seems legit too. I may check it out.
they have excellent instruments if I wasn't broke as a joke I'd probably be picking up a surf green or vintage white jazzmaster clone with P90s, one of their ES-335 clones in the flamed cherry red, XV-500 in tobacco sunburst (LP knockoff), and probably one of their strat clones or two to compliment my Fender US Deluxe. I guess lately I've been day dreaming about their guitars cuz it's realistic for me to be able to get one sooner than a custom G&L, a nice Washburn, or a US PRS.

A friend of mine has a couple they are incredible for the money and compete with some of the nicer guitars out there. After a few mods/tweaks they are even better. Like for me I'd probably install a bone nut, tweak the setup and intonation, upgrade to Grover or Sperzel tuners, and then possibly switch pickups (to something like a Fralin).

But honestly I have 9 guitars now I need to get myself a 335 style (looking at Xaviere, Washburn, and Ibanez) and a 12 string electric (red pearloid Italia has caught my eye). Hoping next year treats me well so I can splurge on one or both
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear