The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Two-mic set-up for guitar (LDC+SDC), eventually using the LDC for vocals.
Old 17th November 2009
I'll stick with the 319 anyway, for the mod capabilities.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ101 View Post
The additional capsules are definitely a good deal for an extra €64 ($96)... They will be waaay more useful than a $45 shockmount, I can promise you that..
+1 on that deal. The omni alone IMO is worth $96.

I like the mic clip that comes stock with the 012. It also works fantastic as a mount for AT LDC like the 4033.
Old 18th November 2009
So what does one use an omni cap for?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Personally I use the omni cap for mono acoustic applications and vocals.
Old 18th November 2009
I found a nice application guide on various Oktava microphones.
I think this would be a great place to go from.
Oktava Application Notes [PDF]
Old 19th November 2009
Once again I'm gonna ask this question...
How is the build quality on the Oktavas?
I read somewhere they feel cheap but sound expensive, the latter being the only thing of value to me.
Do they hold up well after a couple of years (I assume they do, but you never know...)?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Poor Oktava build quality is one of those Internet legends that doesn't have much basis in reality these days. These are well designed and well built mics made by craftspeople with an 80 year heritage of making microphones. Don't worry about it. Besides, all the dealers offer generous warrantee periods.

If you like the sound, go for it.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Poor Oktava build quality is one of those Internet legends that doesn't have much basis in reality these days. These are well designed and well built mics made by craftspeople with an 80 year heritage of making microphones. Don't worry about it. Besides, all the dealers offer generous warrantee periods.

my 319 is a rock. even though it doesn't get a ton of usage, it does sound really good. the build is robust and it is a versatile mic regardless of multiple patterns.
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post

80... WHA...?!
Oh my, I didn't know that, I was a bit puzzled, because I'd never heard of or seen the brand before.
My cousin also was a bit skeptical about the Russian thing and that he knew nobody using one. Then I mentioned RΓΈde and he still didn't know anyone who used one. Well I know loads and LOADS of people use RΓΈdes, because they appear to be selling pretty well at both Thomann and Music Store.

I'm glad they're built well. I hope to order the Mk-012 either tomorrow or some other time during the weekend. I'll keep the LDC for a bit later, not sure if my budget allows it.

Is 2 years really a generous warranty period? I saw in a RΓΈde NT2-A description that they pass out 10 years of warranty.
Anyways, that doesn't matter, I see they also service original mics that are over their warranty.

Thanks for your replies.

EDIT: Checked Wiki for Oktava (silly me should have done that a bit sooner!), it's even 82 years!
Old 19th November 2009
So the quality is OK, then how is the quality control on them nowadays?
I read something about each mic (319 in this case), all sounding different, is this still the case?
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

As another Oktava enthusiast of owning both the MK012 and MK219, I can say the quality on them in EXCELLENT and not just OK for mics that are on the lower end of the price spectrum. Rugged, powder coated (the 219 anyhow), and feels like it could take a mass beating. I'd take these any day over any cheap Chinese microphone if you were worried about the finish/quality. But I really don't think you'll be disappointed by both build and sound quality, assuming you don't work with Neumann KM84's all day
Old 21st November 2009
Alright, thank you for your reply.
I e-mailed Oktava Online to get some information.

1. The Oktava Mod versions of the 219 and 319 are not available for sale anymore.
2. The MK-319 is more expensive than the 220 because it's a newer version.

And hell no I'm not working with Neumanns. :P
Old 22nd November 2009
Does anyone know what kind of mic stand I need in order to fit the MK-012's mic clip on it?
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
Does anyone know what kind of mic stand I need in order to fit the MK-012's mic clip on it?
Any stand should work if the threads don't match up you just need an adapter to change it from Euro/Standard threads to the other. Usually mic clips come in standard (5/8" thread) and include a Euro adapter. At least in the states.
Old 23rd November 2009
Alright, thank you!
I'd better go off and get myself a stand (and a popscreen too).
I can't WAIT to get my MK-012, just paid the smack of money, hopefully it's here before the weekend.
Old 28th November 2009
I LOVE my MK-012.
When I got it I hurried off to the music store to get me a boom stand and a pop screen, and a 5m XLR cable (damn me forgot to order it with the mic itself).
At first I was like hmm, this thing sounds damn good.
Then I started messing with the mic placement on the guitar, and that's so cool. I have found a sweet spot, the mic at about neck (my neck)-height, about 30 cm away from me, tilted about 30 to 45 degrees down towards the 14th fret area. I can't believe how neutral it sounds!

Thanks to everyone who advised the 012 and thanks to the people at Oktava for building such a great piece of gear for a relatively low price (hell I don't need no KM184).
I'm digging the omni capsule, I managed to record my vocals and guitar at the same time, with a pretty decent balance.

Still wondering about in the LDC jungle though.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
I LOVE my MK-012.
When I got it I hurried off to the music store to get me a boom stand and a pop screen, and a 5m XLR cable (damn me forgot to order it with the mic itself).
At first I was like hmm, this thing sounds damn good.
Then I started messing with the mic placement on the guitar, and that's so cool. I have found a sweet spot, the mic at about neck (my neck)-height, about 30 cm away from me, tilted about 30 to 45 degrees down towards the 14th fret area. I can't believe how neutral it sounds!

Thanks to everyone who advised the 012 and thanks to the people at Oktava for building such a great piece of gear for a relatively low price (hell I don't need no KM184).
I'm digging the omni capsule, I managed to record my vocals and guitar at the same time, with a pretty decent balance.

Still wondering about in the LDC jungle though.
Glad that you like it! Now, just get together another $90 or so and get it modded. It will make you smile, guaranteed.

You know what, why not just get another 012 and then get that one modded too? You'll save money, you'll have a flexible platform to add a LOMO capsule or any other capsule(s) you might want later for specific purposes, you'll have a stereo pair (as you start collecting mics you'll find more and more that you wish you had a stereo pair of everything), maybe not "matched" but I think that's a bit overrated/unnecessary with a helping of marketing B.S. thrown in.

If you feel you must have a big thick LCD to go with your skinny 012, then the advice already lent is now at least proven to be trustworthy!
Old 28th November 2009
Yeah, your advices here are indeed proven trustworthy now!
Before, I hadn't even heard of Oktava, like many, many others.

I think sending it off for modding will be a bit moreexpensive than I'd expect, because I live outside the US (that's where Oktava Mod is, isn't it?).

I think I want the flexibility now. =P
Since everyone seems to like the 319, I though hey I could get a 220 instead (319 capsule, multi-pattern, and cheaper than the 319).
I can't really afford something that's €250+. The only mics that are below 300 are the sE Electronics Titan and the Rode NT2-A (besides the Oktava MK-219, 220 and 319).
Even a stand costs €25 and a 5m cable costs €17.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Maybe I missed this, but what kind of acoustic guitar are you playing, CZ?
Old 28th November 2009
A Taylor 110 CE.
Old 29th November 2009
What's the logic behind this?!

Oktava MK-220:
(some store in US): $435
Oktava-Shop: $312
Oktava MK-319:
(some store in US) : $325
Oktava-Shop: $372
Old 15th December 2009
Here for the gear

This is a russian weird pricing....

I think they miss the introduction of the MK220 and have it take out of production for a moment... this may have a bad effect on the MK220 sells. I'm not sure of it but i think the price of the MK220 is lower in order to boost the sales.

If you go for the MK220 you can do MS stereo takes with your MK012

Again, the omni caps for the MK012 is wonderful, I prefer it over the cardio caps with acoustic guitars, its a lot more open sound.
Old 21st December 2009
I used the cardioid cap for recording with two mics, guitar and vocals simultaneously.
What's that second mic? Yeah, it's the MK-319, the price was awfully low compared to the Oktava-Shop price.
With shipping costs and shock mount included I was still €60 shy of the Oktava-Shop price (shipping costs NOT included!).
I might pick up a 220 sometime though!
Anyway, according to Michael Joly, the thing loses some quality through the multi-pattern circuitery.
Old 25th December 2009
Gear Head

Smile No more jolly?

The whole recent Oktava saga has been a VERY weird story and now seems to be sorting itself out....thank god.

However, there has been a MAJOR price hike for all mics at the Oktava shop, obviously to make up for lost earnings due to the Fake MacKay noodle versions.

Weird thing is that there have NO 219's in stock, strange considering that was always their best seller.
Now I find out that they are no longer selling Micheal Jolly modded versions.
Can you shed some light on this please Mr Jolly?

I presume its because Oktava no longer want any contact with the west after what MacKay did.

Here in the UK no one carries Oktava anymore and according to the Russian site, the only place to get them is at the Tula store, or the U.S. one. However, Oktava have neglected to mention that Thomman also carry their mics, so now it looks lijke Thomann are still knocking out Fakes when I'm sure they are not.

In future, Oktave REALLY need to tighten up whats what and who's who in regards their products. They have a legacy to maintain and having people question what they're buying and from whom can only damage that legacy.

On the other hand, it could all turn out to be good publicity.
Old 25th December 2009
I personally contacted Oktava (Germany) about the Joly mods.
I didn't get a clear reply as far as I can remember, but it came down to them not carrying them anymore.
I did see them being sold from a dealer here in the Netherlands, but the prices were kinda mad (€300-€500).

I got my MK-012 from Thomann and it's great. I also asked Oktava (Germany) for a list of dealers, got one in the Netherlands (the one mentioned earlier), and three in France (did not pay attention to those), I explicitly said 'I know Thomann is one' but this wasn't confirmed.

I also find it a bit weird, I asked Thomann if they imported the MK-105, which I got a reply from confirming that they would, but when I asked for the 319, I got no reply.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear