The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sterling Audio mods? Condenser Microphones
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

Sterling Audio mods?

I've seen countless material on this forum regarding fantastic mods for Oktava and MXL mics... is there anyone that has info on mods for Sterling Audio mics, like the ST77 or ST55? These are pretty nice for the price point they are at, but are definitely lacking something. I know Michael Joly does great mods on mics, would this be something that could be tackled?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the kind words! I've worked an the ST51 and one other Sterling, but I can't remember which one. These are K67-type capsule mics driving FET and transformerless circuit with lots of surface mount components. It would be possible to swap in my MJE-K47 capsule but I just don't believe these mics offer a good modification value - certainly no where near as good as the classically elegant FET / Transformer MK-219 or 319. Even the MXL v67 is a better platform because of the reduced parts count, simpler circuit. I'd say love the Sterlings for what they are and try to find some uses for them in their stock condition.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Thanks for the kind words! I've worked an the ST51 and one other Sterling, but I can't remember which one. These are K67-type capsule mics driving FET and transformerless circuit with lots of surface mount components. It would be possible to swap in my MJE-K47 capsule but I just don't believe these mics offer a good modification value - certainly no where near as good as the classically elegant FET / Transformer MK-219 or 319. Even the MXL v67 is a better platform because of the reduced parts count, simpler circuit. I'd say love the Sterlings for what they are and try to find some uses for them in their stock condition.
Regarding ST77 and ST79 they are not SMD, the head-amp actually looks very good, completly discrete electronics, transformer balanced, HUGE film coupling capacitor..

have a look four yourself

*NEW* ST77 from Sterling Audio (PICS)

http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/...3029&mode=view
http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/...3028&mode=view
http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/...3027&mode=view

If the capsule on this mics is a K67 style one, and the head-amp on these mics doesn't have the corrective EQ for the 67, I guess a K47 capsule would be a good mod for them, and/or even a new output transformer.

I'd love to hear M. jolly opinion regading the electronics on those pics.

Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinddot View Post
Regarding ST77 and ST79 they are not SMD, the head-amp actually looks very good, completly discrete electronics, transformer balanced, HUGE film coupling capacitor..

have a look four yourself

*NEW* ST77 from Sterling Audio (PICS)

http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/...3029&mode=view
http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/...3028&mode=view
http://www.hispasonic.com/comunidad/...3027&mode=view

If the capsule on this mics is a K67 style one, and the head-amp on these mics doesn't have the corrective EQ for the 67, I guess a K47 capsule would be a good mod for them, and/or even a new output transformer.

I'd love to hear M. jolly opinion regading the electronics on those pics.

hmmm.. would be interested as well!
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

I haven't seen the capsule in the ST77 nor measured the circuit response, so I'll have to pass on the opportunity to comment.
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't seen the capsule in the ST77 nor measured the circuit response, so I'll have to pass on the opportunity to comment.
Hey Michael,

I think I mentioned this to you before, but if you would like to "experiment" on an ST77 and/or just have one for a while to test, I would gladly send you mine as a guinea pig.

let me know if you're interested,
Paul
Old 2nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ101 View Post
Hey Michael,

I think I mentioned this to you before, but if you would like to "experiment" on an ST77 and/or just have one for a while to test, I would gladly send you mine as a guinea pig.

let me know if you're interested,
Paul
I wonder if you could just take a picture of the capsule so we can know what kind it uses. Even if you don't dare to open your mic, you could take a picture thru the gril and put a light behind the mic, so we can se the hole pattern in the back-plate and identify the kind of back-plate it uses. Here you have picture with both back-plates so you can tell us which one the ST77 is using.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...ot-k47_k67.jpg

thanks in advance

Old 2nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinddot View Post
I wonder if you could just take a picture of the capsule so we can know what kind it uses. Even if you don't dare to open your mic, you could take a picture thru the gril and put a light behind the mic, so we can se the hole pattern in the back-plate and identify the kind of back-plate it uses. Here you have picture with both back-plates so you can tell us which one the ST77 is using.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...ot-k47_k67.jpg

thanks in advance

Hey, no problem.. I'll open it up tonight and take some pictures.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Sterling Audio mods?-sterling-st77-capsule-backplate-1.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks man!

Looks like a K67 style capsule to me.

Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

I wonder if modding the circuit would really make that much sense then - seems like, if the U67-type high freq compensation/attenuation circuitry isn't already part of the design, a K47 capsule would be the mod to try, but what the stike do I know?
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

This is the back of the capsule you are showing,
take a picture of the other side.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

I will say now that I've lived with the mic for about 6 months or so, there is a bit of stridency in the upper mids that protrudes itself on some sources, certain vocals - particularly. Alto-ish voices sound nice through this mic though.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer1 View Post
This is the back of the capsule you are showing,
take a picture of the other side.
I thought we just wanted to determine if the backplate matrix (you know, the diffusion/diffraction scheme) was K47 or K67 type..? The other side looks similar to every LDC capsule I've ever seen - two wires and a round, smooth, shiny plate.

Last edited by CZ101; 3rd January 2010 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: not refraction, diffraction
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought we just wanted to determine if the backplate matrix (you know, the diffusion/diffraction scheme) was K47 or K67 type..? The other side looks similar to every LDC capsule I've ever seen - two wires and a round, smooth, shiny plate.
That's correct. That is a K67-type capsule you've shown. The active diaphragm side makes it harder to see the characteristic 4-then-6 hole pattern near the retaining ring that is clearly visible in your shot of the back side.

Quote:
I will say now that I've lived with the mic for about 6 months or so, there is a bit of stridency in the upper mids that protrudes itself on some sources, certain vocals - particularly. Alto-ish voices sound nice through this mic though.
Sounds like a description of K67-type capsule driving a circuit without HF de-emphasis.

If you'd like me to analyze the circuit I've be happy to look into and post the results here. Just email (not PM) to arrange for a time to send it.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Ok Michael, I'll email you. Thanks btw!
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

thumbsup thumbsup
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Looking at the U87i schematics and If I'm not mistaking I believe the ST77 has the same number of caps, resistors and transistors, so the ST77 head-amp could be a u87i type of amp. Which makes me think the K67 capsule could be the right one for that mic.

Looking forward to know about what Michael Jolly finds out.

Old 18th January 2010
Lives for gear

Any news on this?

Old 18th January 2010
Lives for gear

I have not seen an ST77 yet to evaluate.
Old 18th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have not seen an ST77 yet to evaluate.
I haven't gotten around to sending it yet.. Will do so this week..
Old 18th January 2010
Lives for gear

Oh! I just thought that CZ101 was going to send his ST77 to you for evaluation. I must have gotten all wrong.

I'd love to have one myself, I could easily trace down the schematics and upload them to this thread

No problems anyway, it's just curiosity!!
Old 18th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't gotten around to sending it yet.. Will do so this week..
Oh! we post almost at the same time!

glad to hear you'll be eventually sending it to michael! GREAT!

I'll wait, no problem!

thanks!!
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Nut

Is the ST-55 a good upgrade canditate? gut pics

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...1&d=1264022619

Looks like good components, and I like the build quality. Was surprised to discover the transformer.
Attached Thumbnails
Sterling Audio mods?-p1040097.jpg   Sterling Audio mods?-p1040099.jpg   Sterling Audio mods?-p1040102.jpg   Sterling Audio mods?-p1040103.jpg   Sterling Audio mods?-p1040105.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2010
Gear Maniac

Well, have we figued out anything? I have the ST77 and im really interested. I wonder if its worth upgrading the tranny or the capsule?
Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Putting it in the mail tomorrow..
Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear

You could ask yourself this - do you think the your Sterling mic is too bright or edgy in the 8kHz range? If so, a capsule change to a K47 type would shift its timbre balance to a more midrange-focused sound.
Old 23rd January 2010
Gear Maniac

I honestly think its flatter than my TLM103 but not as bright as my Blue Dragonfly
Old 28th January 2010
Lives for gear

any news?

have you got the mic already michael?

thanks!!
Old 28th January 2010
Lives for gear

No Sterling mic received yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search