The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acoustic Guitar generalisations.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

These can be cool, for bugger all money:

Late 1960s Eko Ranger VI Acoustic Guitar Made in Italy on eBay (end time 17-Nov-09 21:40:03 GMT)

Tried a couple of those over the years, and can be rather nice actually, plus old wood is always more fun than new, at least in my reality. Not much character for sale in shops selling new only.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Head

Hav you checked out any Cole Clark guitars. Australian company. I own a Cole Clark Angel and I love it.
Cole Clark Guitars

Check out the Angel
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

This could be a good strummer too.....:

Vintage 1972 GIBSON/Epiphone FT-130, CBC, Good Cond.NR! on eBay (end time 17-Nov-09 02:00:06 GMT)

And so cheap, if you don't like it you will definitely make money selling it on in the UK. Buying guitars untried is a strange thing, I agree, but with small budget and a want for something that feels nice (= to me likely an old, not new guitar) it can work out like this. At worst you go through 3 until you like one enough to keep, and make money on each one.

Good luck either way
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoclerk View Post
Comping in Cubase with Multiple channels is just too much trouble so I seldom do it.
Don't want to derail the thread but multitrack comping in Cubase can be a nightmare; particularly with drums. I've got some macros which seriously help get with multitrack comping, I'll try and find a link for you if you are interested.

Tim.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

In fact, here it is;
All Downloads
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Budget / bedroom Studio - recording mostly my own material.

I'm about to loose my Acoustic Guitar (its borrowed and the owner wants it back). but i've become quite dependent on it so I'll have to buy one. but i've no idea what to get.

ie
1. How much Β£ to spend,
2. What size / shape is good?
3. Brands that are good value for money?
4. it will only really be for Studio / recording stuff - not giging

-
The borrowed one is quite large bodied I think and is a bit too 'boomy' I'm not that into the sound of it - so I was thinking a smaller bodied one would be more managable.

Please educate me. what generalisations can be mde about Acoustic guitars?

or What do you have and what is it particularly good for? (and yes obviously a lot of it is the player - but ignore that for now and humour me if you will ...)

I honestly know nothing about them.
No offense, but you need to get up off your carcass and head down to your local guitar shops.

Tell the people behind your counter your price range, and they'll show you what they have. Try 'em all, pick the one that sounds/plays the best to YOUR EARS/FINGERS - and then buy it.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosconpollo View Post
I would prefer a smaller-body guitar for recording (though of course it's nice to have a dreadnought around too). Especially if there is any finger-picking going on.

There is something to be said for mahogany tops on guitars for the studio. They sometimes seem to have a more even response, making them more versatile. Though if you have a specific sound you're after, that doesn't matter.
I'll +1 this... recently I got my 'dream' acoustic, a Martin 000-15S, which is a small-bodied, all-mahogany number that plays and records like a dream. Very balanced sounding, not middy or muffled as some people expect from mahogany. Has a wide string spacing which makes fingerstyle a joy, also sounds fantastic strummed as long as you don't belt it (I play with a pretty soft touch). Only thing that might turn you off is the 12-fret neck... anything above the 10th fret is an effort to hook. At around US$1200 street it is at the upper end of your budget but by golly is it worth it.

Someone mentioned Cole Clarks and I can +1 them too. Their Fat Lady dreadnoughts are exceptionally good sounding for the money (from AU$1000) and proper, solid wood guitars made by people rather than machines. The Angel is incredible but is priced similarly to the Martin.

As others have said... find a music store with an extensive collection of acoustics on offer, and spend an afternoon playing as many as possible until you find one that clicks for you. Bear in mind that the difference between a US$500 guitar and one that costs over US$1000 will be significant, but in terms of a long-term investment towards your music, can be easily justified.

Good luck with it.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Epiphone Masterbilt series, worth a listen...

Epiphone Musical Instruments - Masterbilt Collection

All solid woods, below $1k (some models well below).

There is no substitute for solid woods.

I also have a Seagull S6 (cedar version) and it sounds good as well, but not as good as the epiphone.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

+5,000,000 for trying out guitars in store...

I might've mentioned this in previous threads, but there have been times where I've played a few Martin D-28's in store, and out of the 2-3 I played, only one sounded like it was worth the $$$. The other two honestly felt horrendous (playability was appalling, and didn't sound as harmonically rich as I would have liked it to), and honestly felt the Epiphone hummingbird that was next to me felt better than the D-28's that were bad. With that said I've played awesome Jasmine's in the sub $100 range that I thought sounded amazing comparatively, under anything that was under $500. So go out and try to find "the one!"

I'm usually one to buy everything online to avoid paying extra in taxes (and many places offer free shipping), but in the case of something like an acoustic guitar, go out and have fun trying them out. Just don't go crazy and try out $3000+ guitars, only to come home and find out yours "isn't up to par" anymore. I hate trying out expensive gear for that reason, haha.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I also forgot to mention Art and Lutherie guitars are awesome too (very low prices!). They're in the vein of Seagull/Godin as well...I'm really eyeing a cedar dreadnought at the moment.

A&L Dreadnaught Series
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asplashofcitrus View Post
I also forgot to mention Art and Lutherie guitars are awesome too (very low prices!). They're in the vein of Seagull/Godin as well...I'm really eyeing a cedar dreadnought at the moment.

A&L Dreadnaught Series
I own one of them and dont like it at all. It sits in my living room as a piece of furniture.
Tastes vary of course tho.

In the "cheaper" league I only really like a few of the Yamahas.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
I own one of them and dont like it at all. It sits in my living room as a piece of furniture.
Tastes vary of course tho.

In the "cheaper" league I only really like a few of the Yamahas.
What exactly don't you like about them? and which model do you have? I remember playing some of the non-cedar ones and didn't find anything special, but the only model that resonated (no pun intended) with me were the cedar dreadnoughts. Though they do have nice finishes too so I guess it works as a pretty piece of furniture too if nothing else.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Addict

I found some Tanglewood's sounding pretty decent for their price.
I don't have one however (got a Taylor low-end entry-level one).
If you're looking for something smaller I would recommend the body sizes that Taylor calls 'Grand Auditorium' and 'Grand Concert'. Other brands have these body types too, but they're probably called different.
The one you had borrowed probably is a Dreadnought-shape guitar.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asplashofcitrus View Post
What exactly don't you like about them? and which model do you have? I remember playing some of the non-cedar ones and didn't find anything special, but the only model that resonated (no pun intended) with me were the cedar dreadnoughts. Though they do have nice finishes too so I guess it works as a pretty piece of furniture too if nothing else.
I just had a look. Model says "Wild Cherry". Looks the exact same as the ones in your link but obviously a different model then. I thought it was the same as it looked the same

The Wild Cherry sounds life less, plain and overall cheap. Its ok as a camp fire guitar but I'd rather use a sampled guitar then even trying to record this one.

Obviously this doesnt go for all Art Lutherie but only for the one I have.
Old 16th December 2009
Gear Addict

Lightbulb Thanks for the tips

Finally had to return my borrowed acoustic so might head on over to Denmark St. this weekend to play a few. See what I can pick up.

The main problem is that not being accustomed to playing / hearing acoustic much you don't really know what exactly you are listening for.
Old 16th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Finally had to return my borrowed acoustic so might head on over to Denmark St. this weekend to play a few. See what I can pick up.

The main problem is that not being accustomed to playing / hearing acoustic much you don't really know what exactly you are listening for.
Tis simple. Play loads, especially also much more expensive ones than you can afford and hone in on what YOU like about any of them and the way they respond/feel to YOU when playing the music you will be using it for. Then trust your gut and soak up the info...... There are a couple of places there which have nice old ones as well. If I was you I'd play some of those to, just to hammer home the different vibe of old/new guitar......have fun geezer!
Old 16th December 2009
Gear Addict

Another maker that's not been mentioned in this thread is Lakewood. They make a range of models, incl. I think some entry level intruments. I'll bet there's someone in London handling them?

I own 3 of them - all M32's (This is their OM sized model) and they record beautifully. I keep one permanently in Nashville tuning, one stays in standard, and the other covers open tunings.

As others here have already mentioned, I also find small bodied acoustics tend to give a more balanced sound when recorded, irrespective if whether it's fingerstyle or flat pick.

A mate of mine (Dave Ball, ex-Procol Harum, et al) recently bought a Lakewood A-model. This is their smallest model - a really tiny acoustic, and I was totally blown away by not only how great it sounded (rich, warm and balanced) but how loud the little bu**er was!

Studio-wise, I most often I record acoustic gtr in stereo with 2 x SDC's. If I want a more "organic" sound, I'll go for an LDC or even a good dynamic...

I would NEVER record using the on-board p/u, except maybe for quick demos or guide tracks.

However the best advice I can offer, repeated here numerous times is to simply trial as many different guitars of all price ranges (incl. some well above your max...) as you can. A real fun way to spend a couple of days, and at the end, you'll have learned LOTS about acoustic guitars.

Good luck!
Old 16th December 2009
Gear Addict

If you are on a budget, the Yamaha FG series are hard to beat. I have the FG750, but you can choose based on the tonewood you like. Lots of them on the used market. The good thing about Yamaha's is that they QC is very good and every single one of them plays well and sound better than their price would suggest.
Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear
+1 on the Yamaha FG series, as long as its an older model. I have a 20 year old one great tone.
BUT... i have to say it is fortunate that you are U.K. based, as the guitar i would get is the U.K. based Turner Guitars. I have tried these and for the price they are amazing, both tone and quality build. Someone mentioned the wood Ovangkol earlier in the thread. This is a South African wood and is strikingly beautiful. Turner have models with this wood.
Prices start at around Β£175. If you do not like the large Jumbo type, try out the "Grand Auditorium" its like a smaller jumbo.I dont know how they do it really.
Turner Guitars Online Catalogue

They also have an ebay shop
eBay UK Shop - turnerguitarsdirect:
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear