The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
stereo pre question
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

stereo pre question

i am about to upgrade my setup and get a pair of ribbons like the fatheads or karma k6s and a 2 channel pre for around 1,000usd. as far as mics go i have a gt55, sm58, and a blue kickball. i like to buy things that will last as i upgrade, the gt55 and kickball were free.
would two groove tube bricks be better than most pre's around their price range? or could someone recommend a 2 channel pre that would suit my purpose?
Old 12th November 2009
There are a couple of obvious choices here, but my vote goes to the DAV bg1.

D.A.V. electronics - The Broadhurst Gardens No. 1 Mic Amp
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

Hi

My vote will go to

Joemeek TwinQ Studio Channel Strip
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

A FMR Audio RNP will do what you need for half your budget. It has boat loads of gain, noticeably more than my Avalon or Grace.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hmm for $1000 you could get 2x True Sustems P-Solo's!

Others worth checking out are the DAV mentioned above, Audient Mico or 2x GAP Pre73.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Forgot to mention the Sytek MPX-4Aii though this is 4 channels but great sounding!
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

thanks, alot of stuff i haven't heard of which is what i wanted, do any of you have the audient micro, or the other pre's you suggested? also any opinions on the brick?
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

+1 on the RNP. The only reason you're not paying $1000-$1500 for it is because it's not in a nice box.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

AEA "The Ribbon Pre" has a mess load of clean gain, 2 channels - perfect for your pair of ribbon mics (believe it or not!). Also works great with dynamic and tube mics.

The only downside is no phantom (which protects ribbons) so if you had solid state condensers you would just use and external phantom supply or use a different pre.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

+1 for the RNP, P-Solo and BG-1 suggestions...all fantastic preamps. I think the RNP is probably the best value of the bunch though. I think I actually like the BG-1 best, but it would be quite a bit more expensive after shipping, duties, taxes, etc.

Frank
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

ok so instead of creating another thread i thought i could just ask on this one that i already started.
i can afford a peluso r14 and a p solo or ua solo 610 and i think that they will be gear that i will be able to use forever. However i have been told that since i do not currently have a stereo pair of mics i should get one. Would a cheap stereo pair of ribbons like the fathead 2 w/ upgraded transformers and a lesser pre like the rnp, be a better choice? or how important is a stereo pair of microphones? the mics i have are listed in the original post of this thread.
help?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Stereo set of Fatheads are fantastic, and they pair with the RNP quite nicely. I use them for drum OH or stereo room quite frequently. After that, they get used as electric guitar mics which, when put up with a 57, blend for a very nice tone.

As you can tell, I'm a pretty big believer in the Fatheads, and I even own a Royer 121, RCA 44, and RCA 77DX.

Not to say that the Peluso is a bad choice. I'm just saying that the FHs can be fairly utilitarian mics. I've even used them on kick drums and vocals.

And for the record, I'm not so hot on the 610. I've used them a lot and find them rather blah.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by close/far View Post
As you can tell, I'm a pretty big believer in the Fatheads, and I even own a Royer 121, RCA 44, and RCA 77DX.
Yes sir...so am I. They're one of the best values out there. I've also put them up against a 121, and while the 121 won the shoot-out unanimously, the FH's made a very good showing. They don't sound like a mic that costs less than $200, that's for sure. Suffice it to say that I own a stereo pair of them, and not a pair of 121's if that says anything.

Frank
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentends View Post
There are a couple of obvious choices here, but my vote goes to the DAV bg1.

D.A.V. electronics - The Broadhurst Gardens No. 1 Mic Amp

+1 ...
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hmm for $1000 you could get 2x True Sustems P-Solo's!

Others worth checking out are the DAV mentioned above, Audient Mico or 2x GAP Pre73.
Or even better - 2 P-Solo ribbon pre's! TRUE Systems

I just ordered a RNP after speaking with Mark McQuilken (who own's FMR audio with his wife, Beth). I was going to go for the BG-1, but $800 is wayyy out of my price range. (I'm sure I'll pick up one later on down the line though) The RNP has phantom switchable per channel for condenser/ribbon operation (I believe only the BG-1U rack unit has per channel phantom switch) and a hefty 5k ohm impedance that ribbons like.thumbsup Mark told me he uses the the RNP with the Fathead mics himself! The FMR producst are all hand-built and tested in Austin TX so made in the USA baby! Not a lot of people know about them because they don't go to the big trade shows. Can't wait to try it out with the Fatheads! I'll post the results, maybe on this thread! I should get it before turkey day!!
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

i like a sytek for ribbons. tons of gain on tap and clean as hell. doesn't punch like neve, but sweet and open with my fatheads. if you get the BB option, then you'll have 2 flavors. all for less than a 1k!
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
i like a sytek for ribbons. tons of gain on tap and clean as hell. doesn't punch like neve, but sweet and open with my fatheads. if you get the BB option, then you'll have 2 flavors. all for less than a 1k!
Sytek MPX-4Aii Quad Microphone Preamp 4 Channel Mic Pre - eBay (item 300369608947 end time Nov-28-09 11:44:50 PST)

Wish I'd seen that sooner! But no regrets on the RNP.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear