The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the 'nashville' sound - Vintechx 73i?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

the 'nashville' sound - Vintechx 73i?

i'm interested in getting that 'nashville' sound. and a review i read on "Vintechx 73i" says

Quote:
“If you are a Country Artist Or Engineer looking for that Famous "Nashville Sound" you have come to the right place. I have learned that you must have Professional Quality Equipment to achieve Professional Results. I recently purchased the Mojave Audio MA-200 (LDC). You simply Cannot Beat this Microphone! I soon realized I was in need of a High End Mic Pre
would you guys say this is accurate? or just 'some hobbiest' opinion.
also would the Vintech Model 273 the same exact thing as the x73i
but two channels?

also are there any forums dedicated to both 'country/nashville sound recording? i ask because i know there are tons of hip hop forums and have people discussing engineering. but i feel this site (although could be wrong) isnt geared to much on the nashville sound.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I read an interview with several Nashville engineers and by far the most mentioned mic pre were API and Neve. In fact, I don't think any others even got mentioned.

I also don't think the "Nashville" sound is something you can create by just using the same equipment some Nashville engineer used.

The room, the mixing, the musicians, etc. all are much more important.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound View Post

I also don't think the "Nashville" sound is something you can create by just using the same equipment some Nashville engineer used.

The room, the mixing, the musicians, etc. all are much more important.
+1

I don't think the "Nashville sound" has all that much to do with the preamps they're using.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

The Avalon VT 737 has been called 'the Nashville Sound in a Box' by many. Don't know if that's true but I love mine and love many recordings that come from Nashburg.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by avpmusik View Post
i'm interested in getting that 'nashville' sound. and a review i read on "Vintechx 73i" says

would you guys say this is accurate? or just 'some hobbiest' opinion.
also would the Vintech Model 273 the same exact thing as the x73i
but two channels?

also are there any forums dedicated to both 'country/nashville sound recording? i ask because i know there are tons of hip hop forums and have people discussing engineering. but i feel this site (although could be wrong) isnt geared to much on the nashville sound.
The term "Nashville sound" became popular in the '60s to describe that particular era (mostly boring stuff but definitely a recognizable "sound" nonetheless). That sound has morphed and evolved ever since - just like other genres and music trends. While I agree that the sound is mostly defined by the artists and players, the current Nashville sound is mostly identified by the artists' accents. In my view, most (not all) of the recordings currently being made there have a tightly compressed sound that I don't care personally care for. I've got a lot a studio musician friends in Nashville who tell me that I'm probably referring to the Neve equipped studios. I can't confirm this of course but the bottom line is that if you want the "Nashville sound" (whatever that happens to be), you'll probably need to go there and book the proper studio and players.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

I have to agree with the previous posters that the sound comes from the players first and foremost. I've tracked talented amateurs in the studio where I work frequently and the sounds may be good, but most certainly not a "Nashville" sound. Throw in a few Nashville session players and it takes me a third of the time to get sounds up, and there is immediately a balance and tightness to the sound that is hard to replicate. Not to mention that they can cut upwards of ten songs in a day if necessary.

It should be mentioned though that Nashville is really widening out musically. There is a lot of great rock and pop stuff being done here as well. Hopefully Kings of Leon and similar artists will help to break us out of this pigeonhole the rest of the country sees us in.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear