The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
if you had 3000$, what would buy first if...
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

you have no analog synth.
you want to do twisted and weird sounds, warm sound, atmospheric and psychadelic leads. (shpongle, entheogenic, early Infected mushroom etc)
I only have a blofeld, ensoniq dp/4, fireface 400, and good monitors and all plugin possible, and a good computer

What should i buy? im considering a lot a moog voyager rack (1800$) and the virus snow (1000$).

need help slutz
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Powerfull computer and some Arturia stuff.
Old 12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

roland jd-800...

my next synth. not $3000 mind you, but it did cost that back in the day. then again, i do prog metal, so my sounds may be not what your looking for either...
Old 12th November 2009
Virus would be probably be good for those references. And maybe an analog to spice things up, Semblance, FR XS, Tetra, etc.

Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

Nord Lead 2
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear
Maybe it wouldn't be bad to look for some older synths. Often you can find good analog synths for a very little money.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Virus TI

(I got mine recently for under 1500)
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Alesis Andromeda A6.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

The Virus sound is so common now. Get the Moog.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well, for twisted and weird, I might be inclined to look at Metasonix, like maybe the KV-100, affectionately named the Ass-Blaster. It's a crazy, all-tube processor.

Probably I'd spend the remainder on old analog synths. I have a Roland SH-09 (mono) and a Juno 6 (poly with digitally controlled VCOs). The SH-2 is more versatile. The Roland filters have a good sound.

Actually, my Casio CZ-1 (phase distortion digital synth) can do some fun sounds, and then things get very interesting when they run through various effects. I especially like my Korg PME Distortion Wah.

The Roland SVC-350 (vocoder) has also been a favorite for nearly 25 years. Running the vocoder output through a fuzz box is good, too.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
roland jd-800...
I love the JD-800 - the synth of my college days!
Old 12th November 2009
lots of options here

if i were you i would check out:

future retro xs (monophonic, semi modular, awesome sounds specially for percussion stuff, i think its very similiar to the korg ms20)

moog little phatty (monophinic, great fat sounding bass and leads)

studio electronics se-x1 (monophonic, similar to the original minimoog with lots of features like the voyaguer but cheaper)

prophet 08 (8-voice polyphonic, a few people don't like this one because of the encoders but i think it is definitely worth a look)

alesis andromeda (16-voice polyphonic, lots of love on this one but it'll cost ya)

something like a sherman filterbank would definintely give you a ton of more posibilities

stomp boxes like fuzz pedals, chorus pedals, analog delays, phasers, etc would complimtent the monophonic synths as well
moogerfoogers are a great option
Old 12th November 2009
also to those who recommended the virus ti, nord lead, jp8000..

those are digital synths and i believe OP is looking for analog (hence the first sentence of the post)

and about the vintage synths..

those are GREAT options but you gotta remember that they usually don't have midi unless modified or used with a midi to cv conveter

you never know when they could go bad those, most of these were manufactured 20 to 30 years ago and usually have to be tuned and maintained often
Old 24th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
you have no analog synth.
you want to do twisted and weird sounds, warm sound, atmospheric and psychadelic leads. (shpongle, entheogenic, early Infected mushroom etc)
I only have a blofeld, ensoniq dp/4, fireface 400, and good monitors and all plugin possible, and a good computer

What should i buy? im considering a lot a moog voyager rack (1800$) and the virus snow (1000$).

need help slutz
A new record collection, an old Dual 1019 turntable, a Roland V-synth(used), a cheap digital multi FX processor, a passive feedback looper, and a stereo cassette deck. put the rest of the money that's left over toward rent & food.

Or you save the money and build upon it until you have enough for what you'd really want... $3000- isn't really fun to spend until it grows into $5000/$6000-

Old 24th October 2010
Gear Nut

Reaktor
Old 24th October 2010
Gear Head

imac i7 2.93
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Nord lead 2 for lead and riddle effects
+ Moog little phatty stage II for awesome bassssssline's.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear