The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If the middle of a woofer on a monitor is dented, but not punctured...
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

If the middle of a woofer on a monitor is dented, but not punctured...

I saw a good deal on some monitors, but one of the woofers is dented in the middle - should I avoid them? Does it make a big difference in sound? It isn't too severe looking.???
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

It's not a problem. It's only a dust cap. It more visual than anything.
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

the dent can usually be pulled out by covering it with a small piece to masking tape and pulling quickly on the tape.
Old 12th November 2009
Yeah, my dust cap randomly got dented, I think my cat whacked it with its tail, but it doesn't affect performance.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

or a vacuum hose and a steady hand
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

Buy em and suck it.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

All this being said that it isnt really a problem - If you purchased a pair of monitors (open-box, from a manufacturer) and one cap was pushed in, you would likely return it for a fresh one, correct?

This exact situation happened to me and I am trying to decide whether it is worth returning or fixing.
Old 13th November 2009
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

It doesn't hurt the sound. But yes, it makes them look a bit crap.

The safest way to fix it though, is to suck it back out via a drinks straw. But if it's stubborn and won't budge, then i'd simply leave it alone..
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I attached a couple pics of my particular situation, am I wrong to assume that this would affect the sound?
Attached Thumbnails
If the middle of a woofer on a monitor is dented, but not punctured...-krk1.jpg   If the middle of a woofer on a monitor is dented, but not punctured...-krk2.jpg  
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

+1 for the drink straw...

i used to install hi-end AV and allways had a stiff drink straw (and a stiff drink) in my tool box.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$h Marty View Post
I attached a couple pics of my particular situation, am I wrong to assume that this would affect the sound?
I dont think it affects the sound. The only funtion of this, as the name says, its to prevent from dust particles or any other material to enter the voice coil. Try to pull it out with a piece of tape. I've even done with the tip a very narrow pin. Sometimes you can tell the needle whole, but if you do it carefully, you wont puncture the cap all the way. Anyway, a little whole its better than having it like this.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear