The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
M Box 2... Recording drums in mono problem!!
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

M Box 2... Recording drums in mono problem!!

Does anybody else find that if you record your drums in mono from an MPC into the M Box 2 the drums are way too quiet.. If I record them in stereo they sound loud enough but I really prefer them to be in mono. Does anybody else agree with me on this?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarz45 View Post
Does anybody else find that if you record your drums in mono from an MPC into the M Box 2 the drums are way too quiet.. If I record them in stereo they sound loud enough but I really prefer them to be in mono. Does anybody else agree with me on this?
I actually find the opposite.. Normally when I use mono, the signals collaspe in the center and gets " bigger" sounding. ( especially kick/snare)..Make, sure you are using mono out ( if you have a dedicated jack for mono in your stereo pair output..).I have found when using most stereo outputs that the manufacturer labels one jack "mono" because when you plug a cable in this jack only, you get the combined output of L/R outs. If you use the one not labled, you basically gets whats designated to that side which may or may not make the signal not as loud as stereo.. Good luck..
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

If you want to record in mono from the MPC to the Mbox2, you want to choose a side (Left or Right) output and then plug that into one of your Mbox2 inputs.

Does your MPC have just one jack for the output? Or does it have a left and a right?

Since you have volume differences my guess is that you could be using a improper cable/connection scheme.

Hope this helps
Old 12th November 2009
errr...turn the drums up then? Sounds like recording 101 to me.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear