The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
apogee duet vs. focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

apogee duet vs. focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP

hello there,

I really need you advice. I need an audio-interface for around 400 bucks.
I can`t decide between the apoogee duet or the focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP.

is the pre-amp and the ADC of the focusrite on the same level as the duet?
focusrite uses a jitter elimination technology. so this must be a clean ADC I guess but the question is more if the apogee ADC makes a hearable difference and what unit sounds more "expensive".

it`s possible to bypass the pre-amp of the focusrite like in the duet to use the unit with other pre-amps?
I`m also interested in the saffire DSP-effects but only if they are really good. I got some in my E-MU card which are better than any plug-in I know... so the DSP-effects of the fousrite should be on the same level.

also the focusrite is able to emulate different rooms for monitoring. this is a nice feature but I guess there is already some software that could do this too or am I wrong?

best wishes

treewhispers
Old 8th October 2010
Lives for gear
Apogee Duet vs. Saffire Pro 24

BUMP.
Old 8th October 2010
Here for the gear

im thinking about going with a echo audiofire. no experience but they look like a bargain for the price.
Old 8th October 2010
Gear Nut
I would, instead, look at the Presonus Firestudio Mobile. More inputs, solid preamps... I, personally have had great luck with Presonus products.
Old 8th October 2010
Gear Maniac

I have a focusrite saffire pro 40 and i have heard a apogee 200 converter and its night and day to me.
Old 9th October 2010
Here for the gear

I've just bought the Apogee duet and i had the Focusrite Saffire Pro. The Duet sounds ****ing wicked. The Focusrite is also sounding great but i reckon the Duet sounds just that bit better. Really enjoying the Duet!! Unfortunately the Duet has less ins and outs plus no midi (theres a midi breakout cable). In saying that, at the moment i have the tertra, emx1, and the apc running through the computer. EMX1 via Midi in/out to USB cable. No Problems so far with that. The Focusrite suited me at the time for my PC based set-up. The Apogee wins for sound and integration though, now that i'm mac based. If you need all those ins/outs maybe the Focusrite is for you. The Apogee ensemble is a whacking £1500 too, if your wanting more ins/out from Apogee. Hence my Duet decision. Plus, Apogee is where its at right now. most people in the know will tell you this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
As far as "why" the Duet (subjectively) offers better preamps and conversion...I'd say it simply boils down to the design and engineering. You're looking at a $500 no-frills box with two channels of analog I/O, with one knob controlling everything in software versus a $1200 box with eight channels of analog I/O, ten channels of digital I/O, with a big chassis with a bunch of knobs, connectors, etc...it's not surprising that the Duet sounds better when it's actually more expensive on a channel-by-channel basis (and, not surprisingly, on par sonically with Apogee's $1950 Ensemble, which is pretty close to the 003 in terms of features but quite a bit better sonically (again, objectively, of course)...

Hope that helps.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear