The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Big Knob Issue
Old 15th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
so I guess I'll just come right out of the converters into my monitors which are active?
And just attenuate the monitors?
yeah - but be careful eh and dont make it a permanent solution !!!
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
yeah - but be careful eh and dont make it a permanent solution !!!
thumbsup
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

oh shit...the big knob is gonna have to become a headphone amp or paper weight. major difference in fidelity without it in the chain..

the thing that confuses me thus far is that the stereo track I print back back to in pro tools from my smart c1 distorts my monitors if i leave the fader at 0 for monitoring...if I back it down for monitoring it clears up in the monitors. Therefor the monitors must be getting clipped at the input stage
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
Just looked at the block schematic for the BK.
The mono function happens after the trim pot AND the main volume pot (the BK itself) so the possibility of level mismatch at points other than full up or down does not surprise me.
They have stuffed too many 'features' in to obtain accuracy (or would need a serious amount of accurate components).
Bear in mind however that even (or especially) passive 'controllers' have their own set of compromises.
Matt S
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

on my rig at home all i do is mixing...so I am keeping it converters right into monitors
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Old 16th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
on my rig at home all i do is mixing...so I am keeping it converters right into monitors
hey - please put an attenuator in there somewhere.... I blasted out one set of tweeters on my Sigma 6.2s about three years ago with "direct from DA".... Save that horrible panic you get struggling at max white noise fest from a crashed audio driver!!
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

So... there are some news: I went to the Nano Patch and everything is fine! Big Knob is now doing the TV stuff
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
hey - please put an attenuator in there somewhere.... I blasted out one set of tweeters on my Sigma 6.2s about three years ago with "direct from DA".... Save that horrible panic you get struggling at max white noise fest from a crashed audio driver!!
will dothumbsup I can foresee trouble
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Say you wanted to monitor directly from your converters. Is there a headphone box out there that will pass audio without affecting it so you can still monitor from phones?

I guess I could always just patch it in to another set of stereo outputs and monitor the stereo mix buss in parallel, but what about those poor bastards with only 2 outputs?
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
Doesn't 'Digital' grate! (Isn't Digital great).
Matt S
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongstTheLiving View Post
Say you wanted to monitor directly from your converters. Is there a headphone box out there that will pass audio without affecting it so you can still monitor from phones?

I guess I could always just patch it in to another set of stereo outputs and monitor the stereo mix buss in parallel, but what about those poor bastards with only 2 outputs?
yea I thought about this...what I am gonna do is take a mult off my converters and bang that into the BK for cans
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear