The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording drums
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Recording drums

Looking to put together a small home studio to basically record drums. I have a 4 piece Gretsch USA Custom tuned very well. Room sounds OK. High ceilings and fairly large. Using a MAC mini currently and just garage band. I have an Audix i5 so far. Need a few more mics and a decent FW interface. Any suggestions for a demo quality rig? Thx!

I have been listening to as many clips on here as possible. So far i like the following:
kick - nd868
snare - i5
OH - oktava mk-012 or shure sm81

Probably all I need is kick, snare and OH to start. Thoughts???
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

d112 on kick seems to be the standard
im using an akg 414 and a sub kick made from an old speaker with reversed polarity
ive heard good thing about the modded 012s, let me know how they sound!

firepods are cheap and work. theyre nothing extraordinary but they get the job done. at least you can upgrade them to 16 inputs and run them in any daw, including protools via lightpipe
Old 11th November 2009
Steven Slate drums, Drumagog, done.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Steven Slate drums, Drumagog, done.
???

I am sure there is something about recording real instruments buried somewhere in this forum.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I like shure sm7 on the kick, and somehow have a dislike of 112's...
Even my blue ball sound better than 112 to my ears...
You can start recording with just two overheads using recorderman's method, and Oktavas would be just fine for that!
Shure's are really not that nice
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the good advice. I will be recording acoustic drums so I was thinking of starting with two overheads first. Oktava 012 seem like a good start.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Recently started using Recorderman (with kick and snare also) technique after close-micing everything.
I use 2 Mk-012 OH and love them. Have tried SM-7, D-112, and D-12 on kick--have to say that for what I'm doing the D-112 is my favorite (flame on). Between a 57 and i5 I chose the i5 by a small margin.
The stereo image is a bit goofy but the impact is greater than when I did XY OH with the 012's. I use a single string taped to the kick and snare heads knotted at the mic face to maintan an equal distance between the OH's. (Removed before playing, of course).
Sounds like you're headed the right direction...
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

4 mics is all you need for getting quality drums - I like the RE20 on kick, sm57 on snare and for overheads you you have a whole lot of options. Really depends on the room.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

kik=EV RE20...snare=Sennheiser MD441...toms=2xShure SM57...overheads=2xEV 654a omni

Huge tight sound with lots of definition from 6 mics
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I did a LOT of reading here a few weeks ago getting opinions for mics for drums. I used to use D112, 57's and AT's for OH. It was ok but I wanted something better.

On the kick, I found thay most rely on Beta 52 or D112. I had a D112 a while back and from the comments on the shure, I personally will try the 52 next. On the snare, Beta57 is getting some press and will likely be my next candidate. For OH, KSM32's are becoming more popular and I am interested in trying a MDC/LDC, instead of the typical SDC setup.

I can't vouch for these but I thought sharing my next purchases might get you thinking.
Rob

Oh, I am working towards a 4 mic setup.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

right now i use an SM91 and a D6 on kick (SM91 hands down my favorite kick mic i've ever used).

but i've always really liked the D112.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

+1 on the D6. The cheaper alternative is the Audix F-14. You get more low end out of the Audix mics than a D-112 or Beta 52. Of course, whether or not you need more low end would depend on your music style and the tuning of your kick.

A consideration for the FW interface - I would encourage you to not limit yourself to 8 channels. The 3-mic recorderman setup does work fine, but if you want to isolate toms for those in-your-face fills, it's hard to do with that setup. Plus, you want to consider the possibility of tracking a rhythm section live, which would entail a track for bass, gt/keyboard, and pilot vocal. Trying to fit all that into 8 tracks can be really limiting.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm currently using a Blue Kickball and an Equation Audio DMI.104.SLF on kick, and the combo sounds great. I've used the AT 250DE/2500 double element mic and it sounds superb (they also sound amazing on guitar and bass amps).
I've gotten excellent results with an EV RE100 on snare top and a SM57 on bottom.
For toms I use a pair of modified MCA SP-1s (one on floor tom and the other split between two rack toms). They sound clear but beefy.
For overheads I hang a Studio Projects B3 (in figure-8) and a Naiant X/ML omni in a M/S configuration. The combination sounds fantastic. I run another X/ML about 15 feet away for room sound.
I run all of this into a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 interface with a Platinum Octopre light-piped into it for 16 channels of [email protected] I take the ten TRS outs into a passive summer and return them into the Liquid Preamps for a variety of mixdown flavors.
This is by far the best home recording setup I've had so far and highly recommend the mics and interface.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Head

I would highly recommend the Audix D6 for kick. D112, not so much.

Get a couple of SDC's for overheads- lots of choices.

Or, get a couple of LDC's for overheads- many more choices. The point is, having a pair of anything is useful down the road when you decide to record something other than drums.

Then get some killer pre's to plug 'em into.

Then, some outboard compressors. Then EQ's...join the fold.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

I did I search and found this thread:
Kick drum mic shootout - 11 mics head to head!
when I was trying to decide on a kick drum mic - very helpful! I ultimately went with the beta 52.

It might be worth mentioning what style of music you'll be recording - not that I can be of any help, but I'm sure the knowledgable people around can! Ie. if you were miking a kit for metal, the suggestions you'll get would quite likely be vastly different to if you're miking a kit for jazz.
Old 12th November 2009
i would use..

kick - electro voice re-20
snare - shure sm57
overheads - oktava mk-012s

and add samples for the room mics and accent the kick and snare if needed
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

ATM25 on kick is a beautiful thing. You won't get overhyped low frequencies. I love mine.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear