The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Making a ITB mixing studio
Old 11th November 2009
Here for the gear

Making a ITB mixing studio

Hi guys,

im writing in order to get help from this community, because i think its the best audio community on the internet. Here´s my situation, i worked for a studio for a couple of years and i made some clients, but as everything, ive changed work, but this new job will give me the opportunity to upgrade my equipment to build a good ITB Mixing studio. Ive already own a treated room ( dont have the measures here ) and a few devices. My computer ( PC,
3gigs of ram 800mhz DDR2, AMD athlon 5000 x2 64 bit procesor, a lot of harddrive space and nuendo with a lot of plugins ), a Presonus firestudio (wich i like a lot) and a pair of KRK Rockit 5 as my monitors. I have a budget of $2000 as a first purchase, so theres no need to purchase all at one. My main concern is to be able to use PT LE at least ( my clients do not use PTHD) to be able to switch from Nuendo to PT as i need it. What do you reccomend? Getting a 2nd pair of monitors ( i was looking at the ADAM A7 or the Dynaudio BM5A ) better converters? A central station ( could be mackie big knob or something like that ) to hook up my monitors?

Any help is appreciated. Oh, by the way. If you think i need to sell something in order to get better things, tell me. I live in Argentina, but i can buy stuff at the US, so even if it is used i can sell it at the same price i bought it.

Thanks a lot

punkoteloco
Old 11th November 2009
Get a Dedicated AD/DA converter (Apogee, RME etc) hooked with SPDIF into MBOX, then Speakers (Adam A7 yes!), then treat the room, done. You need a Digidesign interface to work in protools, or an M-Audio Interface to work in Pro-Tools M-Powered.
Old 11th November 2009
Here for the gear

Yeah i know about Digi or M-Audio in order to work with PT, but i cant figure wich one will work best. So ADAM A7 seems to be a right choice. Wich kind of converter do you think would be better, model mainly. Ive checked on the apogee mini DAC, is that a good one?
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Traer monitores de afuera te va a salir más caro que comprarlos acá (al menos con los que yo había averiguado), por una cuestión de peso. Aunque creo que acá nadie trae Adam.
Old 11th November 2009
Deleted 33f544e
My best suggestion...buy a USED 002, and here's why. Black Lion Audio does incredible modifications to the pre amps, power supply and converters that will be at par with some of the best top of the line models. (this can be done at a later time, but at least you are ready for when your budget allows).

A7's are great, but if you are using 5 inch monitors now, you may want the A5's from ADAM. They sound amazing, are a little cheaper and you can get a sub. (ADAM makes one for them, or you can use another brand).

Avantone, is a company that makes Auratone-like speakers...these come active or passive and are great for referencing your mixes. Sell the KRKs.

Central station is better than the Big Knob. Coleman audio, is even better if your looking for a monitor section, but maybe down the line. If you buy let's say from ebay, you might be within your budget.

Hope this helps.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear
You say you will only be mixing, but that you need PT because your clients use it....hmmmm....

I had this same dilemma because I was using Cubase and had this fear that I needed PT for my clients. Well, over the past two years I have only missed out on ONE mixing project (for only one song) because I didn't have PT. And to be honest, based on discussions with the prospective client, I think I'm lucky I DIDN'T get the job!

Anyway, my point is that it turns out I never needed PT for mixing, which I do plenty of. Everyone sends me consolidated files and it works fine for everyone. Like I said, only one lost project in two years because of it, and it's a project I didn't really want.

Your experience may be different from mine, but I'm just saying: think about it first.
Old 11th November 2009
Here for the gear

Great to hear that!!!! Maybe ill have the pt option later. As for the speakers, i can buy them abroad but i have someone trusty who can get them for me without paying a lot for weight. It cost less than buying them in Argentina. And ill check the avantones. Thanks.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
You say you will only be mixing, but that you need PT because your clients use it....hmmmm....

I had this same dilemma because I was using Cubase and had this fear that I needed PT for my clients. Well, over the past two years I have only missed out on ONE mixing project (for only one song) because I didn't have PT. And to be honest, based on discussions with the prospective client, I think I'm lucky I DIDN'T get the job!

Anyway, my point is that it turns out I never needed PT for mixing, which I do plenty of. Everyone sends me consolidated files and it works fine for everyone. Like I said, only one lost project in two years because of it, and it's a project I didn't really want.

Your experience may be different from mine, but I'm just saying: think about it first.

Lately Ive been thinking about moving away from PT. Im just afraid of starting from square one. What interface do you use Chris?

Thanks,
Francisco
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post

+1

If you can get the tracked-out (consolidated) session, you'll be OK 99% of the time.

Regarding the monitoring setup, why not take advantage of Steinberg's Monitor mixer? It was one of the main reasons I got Cubase. I'm not 100% sure Nuendo has the feature.
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

Ive checked every option i have and i think ill go with a few items i liked:
ADAM A5 ( only on ebay, cannot find them on GuitarCenter ) $800
Coleman Audio spk51 $489.97 Sweetwater
Coleman Audio MB 2 $399.97 Sweetwater
Apogee MiniDAC $805 Sweetwater
Avantone Active MixCubes $459 Sweetwater

Ive extended my budget, but i think this way ill have a complete ITB Studio ( not the best, but the best i can buy )

What do you think of these? I dont know the priority though, but i prefer having extra monitors and leave the MINI DAC for last. I know it will give me superior converting capability, but i think it can wait. Any suggestions?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
Get a Dedicated AD/DA converter (Apogee, RME etc) hooked with SPDIF into MBOX, then Speakers (Adam A7 yes!), then treat the room, done. You need a Digidesign interface to work in protools, or an M-Audio Interface to work in Pro-Tools M-Powered.
agreed. dont get a cheap converter. you'll just be taking steps backwards
i'd recommend the 003 rack. it lasted me 2 years then i upgraded to pt hd2 after the jobs that i have gotten using le haha

sell the krks, they're not good for mixing in my opinion. get monitors that sound like crap haha. (no but seriously, get monitors where you wont have to check your mix in car speakers, cheap speakers, crap apple earbuds a bunch of times)
i hate the sound of the ns10m's but they've saved me time. i love the a7 (dont own a pair but my bud does, i bought my ns10m's off of him) but the ns-10m's seemed to cut down my trips to my car to check my mix
however the ns10 do need a pretty good amp. search the forum for ns10 amps and you'll see what you should buy. there are old cheap ones that are still fine for the speakers

get a tt patchbay (NOT 1/4INCH PATCHBAY), learn to solder half normal, fully normal, and mults
the patchbay will help you a lot when you wanna use outboard gear instead of plugins. still in the process of installing my patchbay. just got a bantam one because i cant use the patchbay i already have haha

buy a bunch of outboard gear! lol

get a rack cd burner

buy a sweet @$$ diffuser that sits on the wall behind you and right above your head on the ceiling. make sure it looks bad @$$ so if it falls off the ceiling onto your head you wont feel as bad about it

thats all i can think of for now :D
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear