The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I REALLY want Beat Detective, but.....
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

I REALLY want Beat Detective, but.....

Hi All,
I'm running a Digi 001 (yes, I'm in the dark ages) on an XP with Pro Tools LE 6.4cs9, which from what I'm told is the last version of Pro Tools LE that is compatible with the 001. But I REALLY want Beat Detective, which I guess only comes with LE 6.7 and up. Any ideas what to do, absent of shelling out for a 002/003? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Nope. They planned it that way. Sure makes you think about upgrading doesn't it? That or just going with a different DAW...
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

buy an mbox?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I've actually got an mbox original I could part with. I believe I have 6.7 software too, probably with a 6.9 upgrade.

Something you should know about beat detective LE, you can only do one track at a time, which makes it almost pointless to use for drums anyway. You gotta step it up to HD to get multiple track capabilities so you can align all your drum tracks properly.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

There are ways to use the beat detective in LE on full drums as well - takes a little longer but works nice as well. Tap to Transients with the Drums grouped and splice the regions up on every transient you want beat detective to work on. Now do the region conform for each track in the drumgroup individually (drums ungrouped). Group the drums again and do the edit smoothing (works strangely over many tracks at once) - done. On HD its alot easier but it'll work in LE as well. Have done it on my home laptop when I was too lazy driving to the studio....
Old 10th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongstTheLiving View Post
You gotta step it up to HD to get multiple track capabilities so you can align all your drum tracks properly.
Not true. The MPTK comes with the full version of Beat Detective featured in HD systems.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

i'm still using an 001 w/ LE 6.4.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thats right, for multi track beat detective you need the music production toolkit
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

I'm not sure if this helps you or not, just putting it out there. But... Samplitudes audio quantize wizard, is nearly identical to beat detective and it sounds fantastic as well. Might be something to consider, but again, I'm just tossing that out there.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixntrixx View Post
Hi All,
I'm running a Digi 001 (yes, I'm in the dark ages) on an XP with Pro Tools LE 6.4cs9, which from what I'm told is the last version of Pro Tools LE that is compatible with the 001. But I REALLY want Beat Detective, which I guess only comes with LE 6.7 and up. Any ideas what to do, absent of shelling out for a 002/003? Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks.
Reaper 3 would do the trick.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanface View Post
Reaper 3 would do the trick.
indeed.

Cockos Confederated Forums - View Single Post - Quantize Drums
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

just get a copy of Nuendo 3 (cheap, cheap, cheap nowadays) and stop squandering your precious time away with "Professional Tools".
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenlunch View Post
just get a copy of Nuendo 3 (cheap, cheap, cheap nowadays) and stop squandering your precious time away with "Professional Tools".
Neither of these are as fluid or easy as bd though.

Some might argue logic 9's flex is as good. I don't know, not tried it yet.

Loving the way digi hate blossoms in these posts, especially from those who don't really have a clue as to the feature sets.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Neither of these are as fluid or easy as bd though.

Some might argue logic 9's flex is as good. I don't know, not tried it yet.

Loving the way digi hate blossoms in these posts, especially from those who don't really have a clue as to the feature sets.
I beg to differ, the editing system in Nuendo(/Cubase) is unbelievable intuitive and seamless. We recently had some drums tracked at a seriously high-end studio in Canada, which were BD'd by the dude there, but needless to say, I had to load up the original audio in Nuendo and do it all again... correctly...!

Ultimately it's just down to personal preference, I much prefer the hands on approach where I can physically move hits around, sample by sample if necessary, to keep the feel I want. BD just seems a bit... sterile.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I beg to differ, the editing system in Nuendo(/Cubase) is unbelievable intuitive and seamless. We recently had some drums tracked at a seriously high-end studio in Canada, which were BD'd by the dude there, but needless to say, I had to load up the original audio in Nuendo and do it all again... correctly...!

Ultimately it's just down to personal preference, I much prefer the hands on approach where I can physically move hits around, sample by sample if necessary, to keep the feel I want. BD just seems a bit... sterile.
Pro Tools does that. Its called grid mode and easily achieved after you separate regions using BD.

I agree with the fact that its pretty much personal preference. Whatever works for you is the right one.
Old 12th November 2009
Quote:

Operator error there - Nothing to do with PT! You wouldn't have had to redo drums that a competent editor had worked on.

Moving hits around is great if you've got the time...BD just automates this a bit. It's only sterile if the operator lets it get sterile. you can do it iteratively, with groove quantise, whatever. Essentially, it doesn't do anything that you don't do by hand...just lets you do it substantially faster.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear