The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
~$1000 to $1200 high end mic recommendation
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

~$1000 to $1200 high end mic recommendation

I'm looking to upgrade my current mic collection. Right now it consists of a couple sm57's, a shure beta 52, a few other mediocre mics, and a shure ksm32 (which is my best mic right now).

I want to find something around $1000 to $1200, that would be used primarily for vocals (I mostly do folk music), although I'd like to be able to use it as an overhead for drums as well as a few other acoustic instruments (guitar, strings) and possibly to mic a guitar cabinet. So, basically something that's pretty versatile.

I've been considering the akg 414 so far, any other suggestions?
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Beezneez maybe?

Make sure the rest of your chain is good.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

A Soundelux U195 is a good workhorse in that price range. I've used it for all the applications you've mentioned.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Gefell m930 is a great all-rounder
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I would split up acoustic and electric duties; I've never liked a condenser on electric guitars. Get a nice condenser for $1000 or less for your acoustic applications and use the rest for a cheap ribbon for electric guitars if the 57s aren't cutting it. Pearlman TM1, Bock 195, or any of the Peluso mics are all great condensers in that price range.

edit: A 414 is a good idea, too. It's not my favorite for vocals--too bland for me--but on everything else it sounds pretty good, and at that price range you can pick up a pair of them.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

A BLUE Kiwi can be found in that price range. Actually, an AT 4050 is a really good all-around mic and can yield nice results on vocals.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

In that price range a 414 would be a good choice for its versatility. I agree with the post above that a 4050 would be nice as well.

For vocals with a bit more character, you might try something like a Neumann TLM 103 or a used TLM 49 or TLM 193. They're all cardioid only though.
Old 10th November 2009
Peluso P12. You'll love it.
Old 10th November 2009
Old 10th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by retropete View Post
A Soundelux U195 is a good workhorse in that price range. I've used it for all the applications you've mentioned.
+1 for the 195! Girth/Punch/Clarity all come standard with this microphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY
Gefell m930 is a great all-rounder
+1 for the M930. I do agree that it is an amazing "all around" microphone.

I would also recommend checking out the MTG MT71 as well. Its a bit more "tucked" in sounding than the M930.
Old 10th November 2009
I would definitely go for a pair of Blueberry (Blue Microphones). Indestructible, amazing for vocals (deals really well sibilance issues), so far my best guitar cabinet mic, and far less aggressive than the best 414 you can buy - for delicate sources (horns, accordion, etc...). And really cheap in the US...
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Other mics I would look into would be the Soundelux PTM, bock 195, Mojave ma200, lawson mp47 or any version of the akg 414.
Old 11th November 2009
Beesneez James. (it's hand made).
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

Another +1 for the Bock (Soundelux) U195.

It can be found on ebay sometimes in the 6-800 range.

I bought one a few years ago for all around chores, but wanted a highend mic.
Ended up becoming one of my all time favs.

I love it on male vocals.

This mic is an all-arounder/workhorse - I'll never part with mine
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

why not buy a few Advanced Audio mics and not look back. I just did 6 weeks on major label records. We used all of my AA mics and left a few other extremely high dollar mics in the closet.

I will say we had more mics then needed on the sessions. So we shot out all the mics in different applications. The mics that got used along with the AA mics where royers, coles, dynamics like 57's, 421's.Also a few other classics KM84's and 414's. All of the tube mics and LDC where daves mics except for the other pair of 414's.

Korby, manely, soundelux and nuemans all stayed in the closet. We just liked the sound of these mics better for each application. Obviously those mics are great as well but not winning everytime. Get mics you use and don't break the budget!!!!!!!!
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Nut

I'll let you ship me some of those "second class" mics if it helps clear out room or saves space for you.

Nothing worse than having mics just sit!
I guess you can send anything Soundelux or Neumann my way.

BTW, just glad to help! LOL
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

I would look at

Audio Technica AT4050

Well it is a bit cheaper of what you said you are ready to spend, but it sounds real good and it is very versatile mic!

Cheerz!!
Old 14th November 2009
Here for the gear

thanks for the recommendations everyone. i ended up going with the akg 414; mainly because it seems to be universally respected and I found a new one for $800, and so far it's living up to it's reputation..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear