The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Event TR 8 Monitor volume is very low
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

Event TR 8 Monitor volume is very low

Hi all! This is my first forum post on here. I just joined because this seems to be a good place for getting advice and feedback etc.

I'm having a problem with one of my Event TR 8 monitors. Basically, the input level knob on the back has been a bit dodgey for some time now, and often needed a few odd tweaks before any sound would come out. It was as if there was some kind of loose connection related to the knob but I usually managed to get around the problem by just fiddling around with it a bit. But it's now got to the point where no amount of tweaking on the knob will make it work anymore and the output volume from the speaker is very low. Interestingly, there is some signal coming out but it's just loads lower than it should be and it's kind of hissy and crackly. The knob does still change the volume of the output from the speaker but it's just a very low signal. I came across this thread describing a similar problem:

Event TR5 Monitor... Volume is extrememely low... is it broken?

But after having a quick read through it looks like everything suggested is in order all ready.

I was wondering if anyone knew how easy it is to sort out this problem and wether it's common or not? The speakers are old now but have been well looked after.

Would really appreciate it if anyone can help!

Best,

Mike
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Head

I'd first start by checking your connections to your monitors...cables can make or break you. I own the same monitors and my gut thinking is that it's a quality control issue that Event will probably have to fix.

You may also make sure what db your coming in at, -10 or +4. Start with a relatively low monitor volume setting.

Good luck,

-Jake
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply! At -10 there is almost no sound at all but at +4 you can hear that it is louder. There is a smooth progression in the volume when you turn the knob frrom -10 to +4 but its as if as if the amp just isn't working at all. I have taken the sub cone off just to have a look and see if I can see any obvious bare wires but I'm a bit too scared to pull all the internal stuff out as I don't really know what I'm doing. I'd really like to be able to take the amp out and have a proper look at it to see if there is anything obvious that's come loose... Is that a bad idea?

Mike
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Mike
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

Mike,

I'd call Event and let them know about the issue. You probably want to ship them to the factory and let them fix them. I wouldn't chance trying to fix the problem yourself, but if you do decide, make sure they're not plugged in

-Jake
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Definitely get in touch with tech support at Event. I had a similar problem with a TR-6 awhile back and they sent me a replacement amp for free and shipped free, too. You have to disassemble the speaker but it was a pretty easy swap and took care of the problem.

Theo
Old 11th November 2009
Here for the gear

I've just emailed them so I'll see what they have to say. The thing is I got the speakers second hand a few years ago so I very much doubt they'll be covered by any kind of warranty...
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Maniac

If you don't get a quick response I would call tech support and talk to a live person. They didn't even ask me about me any warranty information, just an address to ship the part to. Explain to them that you would be comfortable doing the repair yourself to save money ( trust me, it's pretty simple), because if you ship your monitor, have them do the repair, and ship it back to you it's not going to be very cheap.

Theo
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks Theo! I still havn't had an email response so I'll try calling them today

Best,

Mike
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Desktop View Post
If you don't get a quick response I would call tech support and talk to a live person. They didn't even ask me about me any warranty information, just an address to ship the part to. Explain to them that you would be comfortable doing the repair yourself to save money ( trust me, it's pretty simple), because if you ship your monitor, have them do the repair, and ship it back to you it's not going to be very cheap.

Theo

I tried calling the number and it takes me through to Rode Microphones... Do they now own Event? Also I waited on the line for 10 minutes and had no answer, is this normal? I ended up hanging up because it costs a fortune to ring australia from here but if it's normal to wait that long then I'll call back again

Thanks,

Mike
Old 27th July 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Foyle View Post
I tried calling the number and it takes me through to Rode Microphones... Do they now own Event? Also I waited on the line for 10 minutes and had no answer, is this normal? I ended up hanging up because it costs a fortune to ring australia from here but if it's normal to wait that long then I'll call back again

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,

What happened with your speakers? The same thing happened to me in Australia (when I called RODE). Arrrrggghh wish I'd never bought Event speakers - a friend is having similar problems with his.

Ryan
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear