The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ADAM A7 - Room EQ & Tweeter settings?
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Nut

ADAM A7 - Room EQ & Tweeter settings?

Hi guys!
I just picked up making music after yeaaaars even thinking about it. I decided to go for the ADAM A7 monitors and got them used in great condition.

I was woundering is someone could explain the Room EQ and Tweeter settings that theres knobs for in the back of the monitors? Dont got any manual ..
I have them in my bedroom, a not very big non-treated room.
I havent mixed anything really so far with them, i just tried it fast
Heres the file if that helps
http://bazzflyfishing.com/BasselMusi..._Sat7Nov_4.mp3

So i was woundering if someone could help explain how to use these settings.. i understand that it might be hard to give advice on settings since it depends on the room. But i thought id ask anyway since im a noob and dont know much about this matter =)

Regards!
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Those are frequency shelving filters.
They are useful if you hear too much highs or lows in your room.
If the music coming from your A7s sounds too crispy and fatiguing your ears apply some LP.
If you hear too much bass in your room apply some HP.
That's it.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Personally I see no point in using these, even in an untreated room.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah - I would leave those alone for awhile (keep them all set to be flat), maybe forever - only consider a change after you understand your room and clearly see how it could help (and if your room is good, changes to those controls could probably only hurt).
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

OK thanx guys
My problem is for example that when i listen to the monitor now this mix sounds really great. Enough bass and nice treble. but when i listen to it in the car its sharp in the high end. I cant hear when a de-esser would be needed as well.

Heres the latest mix that sounds great as it is now.. but im guessing its way to sharp.
http://bazzflyfishing.com/BasselMusi...L_MOVINGON.mp3
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

It sounds really bright on my A7s.
Guitar and hi hats are a bit ear peircing making the overall mix very thin sounding.
You should orient the guitar to the mid region.
Low end is also lacking, all I hear is an undefined bass guitar.

Just reset the mixer and try again. thumbsup

Is your room acousticly treated? You could expiriencing cloudiness and ringing which you over compensate when mixing.
Its hard to make good calls when what you hear is not there at all or too much of it is there.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Same here - sounds very bright. Maybe give yourself some time to get used to them - they're fantastic speakers...

The room EQ controls are a 'vague' correction tool - they correct for what could be considered common traits of untreated rooms, but ultimately aren't of much use. I suspect Adam only includes them to tick the boxes most other manufacturers tick.

I'd leave them all set to 0 as I have with mine (in an untreated room). I did have a play with the low-end notch filter, and at first found it was quite effective, but realised quite quickly I was overmixing the low-end...
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

i turned the tweeters on mine down ever so slightly.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyskull View Post
i turned the tweeters on mine down ever so slightly.
But if i turn the Tweeter down a little, dosnt that mean that i will hear less treble??

My room is not treated by the way
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass View Post
My room is not treated by the way
...and that explains it. The shelving filters are to make minor compensating changes. For example, if your speakers are 6" from the front wall you may want to roll off the low shelf a bit to compensate. They're not designed to correct room issues. The things you're describing are typical of a room with low end issues.

Frank
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear