The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixer amp remote channel control
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

Mixer amp remote channel control

I've been scouring the web for the answer/best suggestion for this, and I think this site is probably going to be my best hope! I work at an aquarium (non-profit, limited budget) and have a request to add remote volume control to our internal sound system. This scenario is this: 2 educators are in the main exhibit, each with their own wireless mics. 2 divers are in the big tank behind them each communicating with their own underwater mics. At this point, if the educators want to adjust the volume of any of the mics, they have to go into a back room, adjust, and come back. They want to have a way to control those individual volumes from the main exhibit.

I have 4 microphones feeding into a Mackie board which then ouputs to a Toa A512A amp that feeds into our building's sound system. The request is for independent control of the 4 mic volumes. It doesn't matter to me if it's before the Mackie, between the Mackie and the amp, or in the amp itself. I have found amps that have remote options by way of pentiometer, however, those only control the main out, not the individual channels. The mixer and amp have to stay in the back room, and re-running all of the mic signals to go somewhere before the mixer is an absolute last resort because of where/how these cables are run. It's about a 40 foot run from there to the closest acceptable place to install the volume controls. I'd really like to just use a simple wall knob to control each channel, but have no idea how to go about getting the right pieces in place.

Thanks for any suggestions you may be able to provide, and please ask as many questions as you may have!

Rob Jackson
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
I don't know of a specific product but look at Canford in the UK for ideas as there are various 'boxes' for exhibition / conference work and something may be suitable or at least links to the various companies.
Matt S
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Head

The best bet is going to be a distributed audio system. It's purpose-built for situations like yours.

You'll have all your sources (mics/audio players/etc.) in your wiring closet, and you'll have a digital control that you can select a source and adjust volume for that source specifically.

It would pretty much do away with the Mackie you have now, but it's a much more elegant and user-friendly solution.

Russound is one of the top brands for that sort of equipment. I'd start researching there first. If necessary, contact a local installer that can help you put together a system that'll work for your specific setup.
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look into those options. When I say low budget, I really mean low budget. $800 US or less. Other than what's been mentioned in the previous posts (as I haven't reviewed those and potential costs yet), are there any other suggestions for this setup?
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look into those options. When I say low budget, I really mean low budget. $800 US or less. Other than what's been mentioned in the previous posts (as I haven't reviewed those and potential costs yet), are there any other suggestions for this setup?
Hire a midget to run back and forth, adjusting the volume as necessary? heh

Your only other possible solution (with the equipment you have now), is to use some sort of line mixer between the mics and the mackie (which, unless there is something special, you could get rid of and go directly to the amp). You'll HAVE to run from your mic receiver location to wherever you want to put your "remote volume control". No other way around it...especially since you're on such a limited budget. You'll probably easily chew up $800 with that solution also.
Old 23rd November 2009
Here for the gear

Talking Solution Found

I ended up purchasing some gear made by PASO, specifically the DMS3120 with the RVC10W controls (standard 10k potentiometers). Total, not including cables, ran me about $600.

DMS Series

Thanks again for the suggestions! (I proposed the midget idea, but that was shot down pretty quick...something about legal problems...)
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear