The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Amp for Dynaudio BM15 - Questions again...
Old 9th November 2009
Here for the gear

New Amp for Dynaudio BM15 - Questions again...

Hi,

i'm still searching for a new Amp to power my Dynaudio BM15p. I still use this old BASF 6160 (2x 60 Watt @ 4 Ohm, Damping Factor 25)...
Sounds strange and i can hear much "sizzle" and distortion in the high Freq's. I'm not hearing at too high volume's, so i guess it's not clipping already, but the Amp just sounds bad (dorty in high freq's) and certainly underpowered.

I already aksed here a few weeks ago and i decided to save money till i can get a used Bryston 4b or something like that.

But I also want to upgrade some other stuff (sell my 2 Firepods and get an Fireface 800 + Digimax D8 and also want to buy some new Mic's) so till i can afford the 4b, it'll take a while...
For this while, i need a new Amp (the BASF is making some other problems anyway)

My Budget is about 300 Euro's.
2nd Hand Equipment is fine, also.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Used Rotel Amp, the Rotel RB980BX is often in eBay for about 280-300€ (2x 180W @ 4 Ohm, Damping-Factor 1000!!!)

2. Samson Servo 600 (2x 300W @ 4 Ohm, Damping-Factor 350 @ 400hz)

3. Alesis RA-500 Studio-Endstufe (2x 250W @ 4 Ohm, Damping-Factor 200)

4. Crown Xls 402 D (2x 450W @ 4 Ohm, Damping-Factor >200 @ 10-400Hz)

5. Used Yamaha AX 1070, 1090 oder 1050 (2x 250W @ 4 Ohm, Damping-Factor 350)

What would you do?
Hafler is not very often available on German eBay :(
Any experiences? It's a hard decission, because I'm a paar student & i want to geht the best bang for the buck :D

Cya, Crap2405
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

No answers?

The most important is the comparison between Rotel RB980 and Alesis RA500 and the Crown Amps.

Greetz, Crap2405
Old 24th November 2009
Here for the gear

O.k, so maybe somebody is interested in the result...

Someone near my town offered me an ALESIS RA 500 for a very nice price, so i simply bought it...

Result: The RA 500 fits nice to the Dyn's... maybe not the best combination, but still a good one...
The RA500 produces very dry and low bass. And i mean "really dry". Nice!
Top End is ok, sounds linear without any unharmonic distortion. Same in the Mids...

So: Nothing special, but still good and very affordable!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear