The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Peluso Quality Question
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Peluso Quality Question

How good is the quality of Peluso CEMC6s that I can buy two separate units rather than the matched pair?

I am looking to save money by not getting the shock mounts and carrying case, which I dont really feel like spending more for when it is just the mics and hard clips that I need.
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Guru

The CEMC6 is a very high quality mic, regardless of whether you buy a single, or in a matched pair, or with accessories. Matching does not improve the quality of the mics. It just makes sure that the two that you are buying are more similar to each other than a randomly selected pair.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Peluso is great quality.

Nothing concerning the microphone, but the cable that came with it let me down once but mr. Peluso was kind enough to send a new one overseas right away.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
Peluso is great quality.

Nothing concerning the microphone, but the cable that came with it let me down once but mr. Peluso was kind enough to send a new one overseas right away.
I second that. Got a short body 2247 here since a few days and that mic has some serious character. Huge Lows, nice, thick low mids, a little hyped upper mids and a nice smooth rolled off top end. Build quality is great too and Mr. Peluso being one of the most concerning people in audio I ever dealt with. I bought the mic second hand from a fellow gearslut and my power supply was having some minor problems. I wrote an e-mail to John Peluso. Ten minutes later he phoned me (I am from Germany and he found out my number himself via my internet adress) and we solved things quickly. Incredible! I can whole-heartedly recommend Peluso!
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock View Post
I second that. Got a short body 2247 here since a few days and that mic has some serious character. Huge Lows, nice, thick low mids, a little hyped upper mids and a nice smooth rolled off top end. Build quality is great too and Mr. Peluso being one of the most concerning people in audio I ever dealt with. I bought the mic second hand from a fellow gearslut and my power supply was having some minor problems. I wrote an e-mail to John Peluso. Ten minutes later he phoned me (I am from Germany and he found out my number himself via my internet adress) and we solved things quickly. Incredible! I can whole-heartedly recommend Peluso!
The 2247 is actually my favorite mic for lead vox most of the time. Sometimes I use something else depending on the singer's voice, but this is really a nice microphone, hasn't let me down yet. I had a 2247 shortbody and a 2247 LE here to A/B them and decide which one to buy, but the 2247 was really favored by all those in the room.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

So if I used a non matched pair for stereo recording, the difference wouldn't be very big?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict
You can balance by ear if they differ audibly. I have a matched pair of Pelusos. I have (2) Rode NT1s that are "off" by a bit...just balance by ear...and have fun!
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUtubadude View Post
So if I used a non matched pair for stereo recording, the difference wouldn't be very big?
I should think that with Peluso's reputation for quality that you'd be absolutely safe ordering a non-matched pair. In terms of the actual sonic difference I'm sure it would be insignificant. Other mic manufacturers are moving away from the practice of matching for that very reason.

Frank
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

i asked him this awhile ago about peluso mics.

there is a possibility of a 2db difference, where as if there matched there is a possible 0.5db difference.

i dont really care, as no matter how much you work your preamp knobs, theres always a little fluctuation with a stereo pair.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Guru

I think Peluso quality is quite high. I have something like 10 Peluso mics! I had to replace one power supply. I've had no issues with any of them ever.

I'm trying to sell a 22 251. There is some paranoia about their build quality. You know, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict
I spoke to John today and he said the 2247SE is getting used on some big name artists currently in the studios.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sweet. It looks like I've found my next pair of mics!
Old 11th November 2009
FWIW, I ordered a "matched pair" of CMC6s in the spring of 2007 to bring to a friend overseas and I was not quite as impressed with the build quality - one of the capsules has to be really torqued to prevent an electrical noise/connection problem between the body/capsule, and the pair never appeared to be truly matched within anything close to .1dB - more like 3dB difference over parts of the spectrum. Hopefully they have resolved whatever issues we experienced with ours, but I believe this info should be out there for prospective buyers.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have a few pairs of microphones: NT-1, KM-184, 57, SM-7b and Peluso P28's (one being serial 002, the other a few years younger) and have yet to hear a difference within a pair.

I mean, you use a pair to record something stereo, that is: you would like to have a difference between the left (mid) and right (stereo) channels, right?

I also have a P12 and a 22 251. The best mics in my collection. The 251 needs a cap replaced but is still usable (though with a little higher noise floor but I'm not afraid of no noise )

btw: km-184's are sold in a stereo box but they are by no means matched, only consecutive serial numbers.

Herwig
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

A year after I buy my peluso 22 251, the body look like a vintage and un-laked microphone. It is all the time in your wood case. I think that the metal work is not fine... But the microphone sound nice, warm and airy.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Does Peluso publish frequency response plots? I cant seem to find them anywhere.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUtubadude View Post
Does Peluso publish frequency response plots? I cant seem to find them anywhere.
I got a response chart with my 2247. If that's the one you're looking for I can make scan of it. The chart of a different 2247 I once had here looked somewhat different though.
Old 12th November 2009
I've got the 22 251 and it is the most perfect mic for my vocals. I love peluso mics!
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Are the CEMC6's comparable to Schoeps in any way? My school does concert recordings with them, and I love the sound....just not the price tag.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear