The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a Desk!!! Need Help Utility Plugins
Old 30th October 2009
Lightbulb Building a Desk!!! Need Help

Hey everyone, I am currently building a desk for my console and two side carts for equipment. I had a few questions about the electrical parts. I am getting an experienced electrician to help me with this, as the desk will have it's own electrical system. The desk will feature a 220Volt receptacle for power input, the 220V will be split into two sections wired into (2) 20Amp breakers in a small breaker box. Then (2) dual receptacle outlets will be wired to their respective 20 amp breakers. With this kind of power running into the desk what would be the best way to shield the electrical system from harming the audio lines? The lower portion of the desk will be built similar to a wall in your home. Plywood -> 2x4 -> Plywood. With the electronics housed between the plywood attached to the 2X4s like a house outlet box(Imagine the plywood as sheetrock). I was thinking of attaching copper mesh shielding onto the inner side of the plywood. Would that be enough? Also, there will be a ground line running from my equipment to a newly purchased ground rod that hasn't been buried yet. I would also like to know what kind of connectors I could use to attach the ground line to the desk(For remove ability). I was thinking of BNC connectors.

Thanks guys, hopefully I will be able to post pictures when I have more of the desk complete.
Old 30th October 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
The ground line MUST be part of the same connector for the line and Neutral.
Look to the ranges of high current industrial connectors. In the UK and Europe we have yellow (120 Volt) Blue 240 Volt and red 415 Volt types available in 3 pole (single phase) and 5 pole (3 Phase.

Otherwise powerful Harting multipole types.
Consult a proper electrical engineer locally for more relevent details as there may be local bylaws.
Small gauge metal trunking for containing ant 'hum' from power cables, copper is not much good at powerline frequencies.
Matt S
Old 1st November 2009
Thank you, but what about the RF shielding?
Old 1st November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
Most of the gear is already in metal boxes or metalised plastic so should not need extra shielding.
If you want to put mesh inside the woodwork you can but I doubt it would have much effect in a properly wired situation.
The main issue is that you must NEVER be able to have any of the equipment powered without a correct ground conductor to the fuse box. Your ground rod should go to the fuse box or possibly to the point where it enters the 'control room' area.
Matt S
Old 1st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFX357 View Post
Thank you, but what about the RF shielding?
Basic rule of thumb is to run all power cables intersecting to any audio cables they must pass by, your audio cables should be shielded, and as Matt said anything in the box already is shielded.
Old 3rd November 2009
The ground for the equipment will be grounded via breaker box to ground rod. I plan on using foil shielded install cable with the console going to an ELCO connector in the back, so I won't need anything else for shielding? The ELCO connector doesn't look like a very well shielded connector.
Old 4th November 2009
Here is what I have so far:
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Desk!!! Need Help-desk_top_1.jpg   Building a Desk!!! Need Help-desk_bot_1.jpg   Building a Desk!!! Need Help-desk_breaker.jpg   Building a Desk!!! Need Help-desk_bot_3.jpg  
Old 4th November 2009
Sorry I missed the back side:
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Desk!!! Need Help-desktop_bot_2.jpg  
Old 4th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
Although ELCOs are not well shielded there should be no problem unless you have a radio station transmitter in your garden.
You could always fit a 'ground' lead to the shell if you scrape some paint off.
Matt S
Old 4th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
Although ELCOs are not well shielded there should be no problem unless you have a radio station transmitter in your garden.
You could always fit a 'ground' lead to the shell if you scrape some paint off.
Matt S
You sound like you're talking from experience....Fortunately I don't have one of those. Luckily the 220Volt plug is on the opposite side of where the console wires will go.
Old 6th November 2009
I've moved it to my room and have both the top and bottom attached. The only thing left is wiring and the inner walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Desk!!! Need Help-desk_bot_back.jpg   Building a Desk!!! Need Help-desk_bot_l.jpg   Building a Desk!!! Need Help-desk_bot_r.jpg   Building a Desk!!! Need Help-desk_fin_perspective.jpg   Building a Desk!!! Need Help-desk_fin_front.jpg  

Old 7th November 2009
Gear Addict

Wow Great Job.

This is exactly what I want to make for my Ghost 32 LE. W/O the electrical boxes.

Do you have any pictures of how you contructed the frame which secures the console?

Also where did you get the armrest cushion?
Old 15th November 2009
Armrest cushion = car interior vinyl and polyester padding underneath.

I'll try to post pictures of the construction under the console.
Old 15th November 2009
nice work! i would have gone a little darker with the varnish though and would have done the inside as well
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Great work!

I think it looks awesome, very professional - inspiring for us DIYers.
Old 23rd December 2009
I've been working on the software to go in this DAW setup. I'll post pics of the side carts with the desk soon. I still haven't finished one of them. In DIY fashion, I've been working on a custom Linux operating system to power this beast. You can see screen shots of the DAW here: Ubuntu Linux DAW Project

Oh and, if anyone ever tells you that video games don't do anything, I planned this whole desk on "Sandbox 2" editor that comes with a game called Crysis. It's measurements are all in Metric, so I had to convert.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search