The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie Onyx 800R Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 20th September 2005
Gear Addict

Mackie Onyx 800R

Bit of a newb when it comes to this sort of stuff so I hope you can help me out here. Basically I'm working with an Mbox right now but I'm hoping to upgrade to an 002r in the nearish future and also buy another device I can connect through ADAT lightpipe. I want better convertors then the 002r has, plus having the extra inputs would be good too.

So I'm looking at a few right now and the Mackie 800R looks good for the price. However, I see it only has XLR inputs and I really want XLR & 1/4" line-ins. I see it has a 25-pin D-Sub connector for balanced line inputs on the back, but I'm not totally familiar with what this is. I'm assuming it would work as some kind of breakout 'box' with cables for inputs? I think I've got this right, I just want to make sure. Oh, and how much do these sort of connections cost?

Thanks in advance!
Old 20th September 2005
Gear Addict

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of:
http://media.venda.com/dv247/ebiz/di...058/5058_l.jpg

Except the connectors would be female in the case of inputs.
Old 20th September 2005

Looks like the 800R has two 1/4" high imp line ins and DB25 connectors for ballanced line ins. You could put 1/4" TRS or XLR connectors on the break-out for the DB-25. I suppose you could wire it for unballanced too (if you need it)

-tINY

Old 20th September 2005
Gear Addict

So I'm correct about the break out cables for the d-sub?
Old 20th September 2005
Gear Head

You are correct about the breakout cable. You can find that cable online at Markertek.com

I am currently using the Onyx 800r with my setup, much in the same way that you are intending to use it. However, I am using the XLR inputs. Either way, the converters on the 800r seem better than the 002's, and the preamps sound nicer as well.

Having a total of 16 inputs (8 from the 002, and 8 from the 800r) is also a plus, but keep in mind that if you decide to record at 96k, the 002 cannot receive more than 2 channels at a time from the 800r.

Hope this helps

Moses
Old 20th September 2005
Gear Addict

thanks a lot for the reply! Glad to know I've got at least something right!

I'm only recording at 48khz right now, cant really see myself moving up from that though so it shouldnt really be an issue for me
Old 30th September 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmoses
You are correct about the breakout cable. You can find that cable online at Markertek.com

I am currently using the Onyx 800r with my setup, much in the same way that you are intending to use it. However, I am using the XLR inputs. Either way, the converters on the 800r seem better than the 002's, and the preamps sound nicer as well.

Having a total of 16 inputs (8 from the 002, and 8 from the 800r) is also a plus, but keep in mind that if you decide to record at 96k, the 002 cannot receive more than 2 channels at a time from the 800r.

Hope this helps

Moses
Moses, how is the latency when using the oo2 and the onyx? I have an HD setup
and an oo2 setup and am thinking about getting rid of HD now that I have my new G5, but I need go record 10-12 tracks at once, have you tried recording a band with your setup? Thanks
daniel
Old 30th September 2005
Gear Head

I actually have NOT had the chance to record a band as of yet. I will be micing up a full drum kit, some guitars, and a singer for my own project in about a week. I will be more than glad to let you know after that.

IMO, I don't think there should be any problems with latency. I have the Onyx 800r going lightpipe to my 002, and if I am not mistaken, the firewire cable from the 002 to my G5 should be able to handle all 16 tracks (if I were to use up all my inputs) with no problem.

Moses
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search