The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the blue blueberry? anything better in the price range Condenser Microphones
Old 29th September 2009
Here for the gear

the blue blueberry? anything better in the price range

so im looking for a good vocal mic and i keep looking at the blueberry. i know the 103 seems to get alot of bad reviews and the rode k2 seems to be hit or miss. i didnt like the a.t that much. what do you guys think about the blueberry? im looking for between 600 and 1200 dollar price range if there is something that will change my life for a couple hundred more dollars ill pay it. This is something ive been looking into a few weeks now and all i really see are factory reviews of the damn thing. My buddy seems to think the blueberry is gonna do it for me. I will be recording a wide range of vocals from death metal to acoustic music. so something that delivers.

thanks guys
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

look into Mojave Audio's MA200 or MA201.

I really like the BLUE mics Dragonfly, Baby Bottle, Blueberry, Mouse, etc. They're all good.

The Neumann is a nice mic regardless of what people on here say.

You need to use your ears and formulate your own opinions. Bottom line IF IT WORKS FOR YOU and IF IT SOUNDS GOOD THAN IT IS GOOD!!!

I should also ask as it will eventually come up....what are you using now? what do you dislike about it? what are you hoping to achieve with the upgrade?
Old 29th September 2009
Here for the gear

yeah my first thought was the 103 i just cant find a store that has both mics to demo. i havent heard anything bad about the blueberry except that a 2000 or 5000 dollar mic would sound way better. duh. but i do seem to read alot of bad about the 103 and the k2 which were other suggested mics for my project. what would you say between the 103 and the blueberry?
Old 29th September 2009
It really depends... Which preamp will you be using your mic with?
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

well if it were me personally I'd probably go with the Blueberry. But I like to invest in stuff that no one else (locally) has.

Both of my good friend's studios have TLM103's in their lockers. So I always have the option of borrowing or going there and using them not too many studios use the Blueberry at least in CBUS.
Old 29th September 2009
Here for the gear

At my bands studio we have a audio technica 4050 i believe it is and i dont care a whole lot for it. This will be the first vocal mic for my personal studio i am just getting going. Just wanna research as much as possible before i settle. i have a digi 003 rack + factory(the one with 8 pres) and im looking at buying an rme octamic 2 for the extra 8 ins and a solid class a pre. (unless anyone has a better suggestion) i bought the audix dp 7 mic set for now i also have some shure 57s and a mxl dung mic. i also just bought a pair of rode nt5's. For guitar and bass im debating between the blue woodpecker and the obvious royer 121. Im still unsure on a good vocal pre amp that wont break both arms and legs. Im using a custom built PC quadcore 3.0 processor 4 gigs rm. pro tools 8le. Thats kinda where i stand on this right now. And yes i have room treatment. auralex bass traps diffusors and 2 by 4.
Old 29th September 2009
The Blueberry is not a bad mic, actually sounds really great with certain voices.
well I have one of the first ones..i heard are different than the new ones.
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

that sounds like a pretty awesome setup for a personal rig.

But most expensive doesn't always mean best for the job.

You may want to consider a dynamic mic like a Heil PR-40 or Shure SM7b in conjunction with a different vibed mic like the Mojave or a BLUE mic of some sort.

The AT4050 is a nice mic but it's a very neutral mic. It's not particularly flattering for most sources as what you put in is what you put out. I love them on drum overheads and for acoustic instruments but I find them to be either a hit or miss on vocals.
Old 29th September 2009
Here for the gear

yeah i hear ya the 4050 just doesnt sit well in the mix vocal wise. we got a good deal on it and it has done well for what it was worth. I just want a vocal mic that will help deliver awesome results in almost any situation that is still affordable. I know im reaching. But from what i keep hearing this blueberry might be the mic im looking for. Figured id register for this gearslutz **** seeing as how i always end up reading whats written here.

Also if anyone knows a good vocal pre amp that isnt to ungodly expensive id appreciate it. everyone says i need to get the avalon or a great river.
**** i dont know this **** is confusing.
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

The pres you have are thin and weak sounding compared to high end pres. I think a perfect balance to this would be the TLM 103.
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridlokt_1 View Post
Also if anyone knows a good vocal pre amp that isnt to ungodly expensive id appreciate it. everyone says i need to get the avalon or a great river.
There's a few good choices that are cheaper than the great river (though it IS a very good pre!)
There's the Grace M101, Universal Audio Solo 610, I think Summit has a decent one, Groove Tubes Brick, Focusrite ISA One, Daking Mic Pre One, and my current inexpensive fav, the Golden Age Project Pre-73.

You really can't go wrong with any of them!
Old 29th September 2009
Gear Addict

I am not sure what you call expensive, but from my experience doing A LOT of vocals - here's some things to check that will NEVER disappoint on a female vocal...

1. Rode K2 - Listen to this. Today I recorded on a K2. I did a punch-in on a track done with a u87. The line fit so freaking perfectly on the same track as the u87 I only adjusted the volume and it fit so well nobody on the planet would know it wasn't the same mic. It's an AWESOME mic and it's equally as good in pairs. I know TOMMY LEE uses it as near-rooms. See his website.

2. As far as PRES - use what you got. But, if you're searching, Focusrite is a mix of nice cost versus flawless performance. Nobody can argue against a Focusrite. UA stuff is OK too.

So, please know from my very particular experience that the Rode K2 is VERY nice and has adjustable pickup pattern - sweet!
Old 29th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaForte View Post
2. As far as PRES - use what you got. But, if you're searching, Focusrite is a mix of nice cost versus flawless performance. Nobody can argue against a Focusrite.
Really? No one?
If you are talking about the Platinum series stuff, I can and will argue against it ;-)
Old 29th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsty View Post
Really? No one?
If you are talking about the Platinum series stuff, I can and will argue against it ;-)

Yeah. My mistake is forgetting what is low end and what is high end, in terms of gear.
Old 29th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsty View Post
Really? No one?

Just so I know - what would you say against Focusrite Pres? I haven't had anything negative tosay but like to know other opinions!
Old 29th September 2009
Gear Addict

I only tried one once, and admittedly it was against an Avalon, but even so it just sounded flat and lifeless - swithcing to the Avalon suddenly added live and lushness. Sure, the Avalon is significantly more expensive but the difference was profound. I think for the money there are much better things than the Platinum series stuff...
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

I have a Blueberry and love it. Between that and an SM7b I can cover just about every voice. But I really just do alot of rock.
Old 29th September 2009
Here for the gear

well what do you guys think between the blue blueberry and the blue kiwi?is there a big difference in tone for the extra 600 bucks? i guess the u87 is the way to go from what i have been reading its friggin pricey though. 3 grand is alot of salsa for one damn mic. i dont know. but yeah if anyone has compared the kiwi and blueberry let me know
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

I have a TLM103 and love it. But if I had to start over with only one of my microphones it would be the C414 B-XLS.

Good Luck!
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridlokt_1 View Post
well what do you guys think between the blue blueberry and the blue kiwi?is there a big difference in tone for the extra 600 bucks? i guess the u87 is the way to go from what i have been reading its friggin pricey though. 3 grand is alot of salsa for one damn mic. i dont know. but yeah if anyone has compared the kiwi and blueberry let me know
I have a Kiwi. They come up for sale in the classifieds here regularly and at the top of (but still within) your budget. I think having the 9 polar patterns is worth the extra you pay for the Kiwi. I haven't tried a Blueberry, so I can't comment on sonic differences.
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

My friend has a Kiwi. It's not like the Blueberry. The Blueberry is pretty much a vocal mic (and maybe acoustic guitar). But the Kiwi can do almost anything and sounds great doing it.
Old 30th September 2009
Lives for gear

Front End Audio has a blowout going on for B-Stock Blues...

Very appealing price the B-Berry

Blue Blueberry Studio Cardioid Condenser Microphone at FrontEndAudio.com
Old 30th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaForte View Post
I am not sure what you call expensive, but from my experience doing A LOT of vocals - here's some things to check that will NEVER disappoint on a female vocal...

1. Rode K2 - Listen to this. Today I recorded on a K2. I did a punch-in on a track done with a u87. The line fit so freaking perfectly on the same track as the u87 I only adjusted the volume and it fit so well nobody on the planet would know it wasn't the same mic. It's an AWESOME mic and it's equally as good in pairs. I know TOMMY LEE uses it as near-rooms. See his website.

2. As far as PRES - use what you got. But, if you're searching, Focusrite is a mix of nice cost versus flawless performance. Nobody can argue against a Focusrite. UA stuff is OK too.

So, please know from my very particular experience that the Rode K2 is VERY nice and has adjustable pickup pattern - sweet!
My K2 can easily compete with the U87ai. It shines when it's paired with a quality pre. None of that harshness heard with a sub par pre.
Old 30th September 2009
Gear Addict

the blueberry is very similar in sound the a tlm103. I personally like the blueberry better. I don't think you can go wrong with a mojave either...
Old 30th September 2009
Lives for gear

i recommend the ma-200 and an sm-7b. sure it's more than what you asked for, but the pair will do a lot for your vocals by covering a ton of ground.
Old 30th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Front End Audio has a blowout going on for B-Stock Blues...

Very appealing price the B-Berry

Blue Blueberry Studio Cardioid Condenser Microphone at FrontEndAudio.com

Yeh, Ive been watching that one for about a week since Im a deal huntin hoe. Actually a minute ago I just ordered one of the Blueberry's. I LOVE BLUE!!

Last edited by musicbydesign; 30th September 2009 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: mye speling wuz badd (hee hee)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search