The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I need a microphone and probably a preamp too.
Old 16th September 2009
Here for the gear

I need a microphone and probably a preamp too.

Hey!

I've building a very low budget homestudio for some time now and it has got sort of out of hands as the whole project has evolved into something bigger than just making beats. But as I'm still a student, I'm very much broke and I've no understanding about microphones.

So now I need a microphone and probably a preamp too if my presonus firebox preamps don't cut it. Will they? I've no idea.

There are three things to record. A female singer, male.. uhmm.. rhythmic singer/shouter and occasionally some saxophone and trumpet parts for a jazz/triphop/hiphop/funk project.

So I have around 300 euros/ dollars and I realize it isn't much for a mic and a pre and it would probably divide 2/1 for the mic.

Here are a couple of mics that I'm aware of:

Studio works c1 mk II -I've heard some compliments
Mxl 990 -No idea about this but the price is nice
Mxl 9000 -Don't know this either
Akg c2000b/3000b - I tried the c2000b and it worked better for me than the sm57 I have for micing the bass cabinet. But it still is the only condenser mic I've ever recorded with.
Kel hm2d - I've heard this is a great mic for hip hop, but as the sm57 does that decently I'm not sure it's a good buy considering the female singer is probably the biggest reason for buying the new mic.

And then there are the preamps. I only know the art tube mp, presonus tubepre and studio projects vtb-1 and the SM audio products. What do you think, will I benefit from them instead of just using the pres on the presonus firebox? And if so, which one should I pick? I know that all of these are usually considered crap but with a wallet as thin as mine, I gotta make do.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help!
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

Stay away from the AKG C3000 - I have it its a really unimpressive mic. There are countless options within your price range. Just poke around the low-budget forum and you will find many great recommendations.
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

For what you're doing I think the pre's on your firebox should be just fine. At the least they probably won't be any worse than something you would buy for $100. I would go sm7b as well.
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

I used to own a Firebox and the preamps are a little weak for an SM7b and buying a cheap external preamp probably won't do you much better (depending on your budget). As much as I like that mic and think it would work great for you I'd probably suggest a budget condenser as it will mesh better with the lower powered Firebox preamps (they don't have as much juice as in the bigger Presonus units). Your firebox preamps will cut it, you just can't put super gain hungry mics in front of it for moderate levelled sources (like voices). You'll have the preamp cranked to the max most likely.

The KEL HM2d would be the closest thing to an SM7b.

However in condenser land there are lots of solid choices the AT40 series are terrific, the CAD M179 is great, Blue Baby Bottle and Bluebird are both excellent, etc.
Old 16th September 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
However in condenser land there are lots of solid choices the AT40 series are terrific, the CAD M179 is great, Blue Baby Bottle and Bluebird are both excellent, etc.
Don't listen to this guy. AT don't do a 40 series. The M179 is good on Toms but not on voice. EV mics are great for horns. The ND468 or an RE20. The Blue mics are good but i bet he never used them.
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

What ever was in that last post IGNORE! AT 40 sereis are great mics. AT 4047 is hard to beat for the price and needs very little gain from a preamp.
"There are three things to record. A female singer, male.. uhmm.. rhythmic singer/shouter and occasionally some saxophone and trumpet parts for a jazz/triphop/hiphop/funk project."

Any BLUE mic you can afford is always a good choice. I personally would stick with the AT4047 in your situation. The BLUE mics are very good on 50% of things but not very good when they are not the right mic. The 4047 seems to always do well and sometimes great. It's a very good work horse. It will also add a little color to those presonus pres.
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

If I were you I'd get the best cheap preamp you can afford like the the Golden Age 73(Chinese Neve copy) and an SM57 or SM58 to start with.

Bono uses a similar setup, an SM58 into a Neve 1073 if thats anything to go by.

You can upgrade your mic later when necessary but an SM58 will sound freakin awesome through the Golden Age, a middle ground preamp and mic won't sound awesome but only adequate. Get the good preamp and basic mics will still sound fabulous if your budget is tight!
Old 16th September 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
What ever was in that last post IGNORE! AT 40 sereis are great mics. AT 4047 is hard to beat for the price and needs very little gain from a preamp.
It's not a 40 series it's a 4000 series man. You even said it yourself 4047. That's no forty seven. It's four thousand and forty seven.

I don't think you can get it for 300 dollars. I bet you're an Audio Technica dealer.
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fresh Man View Post
It's not a 40 series it's a 4000 series man. You even said it yourself 4047. That's no forty seven. It's four thousand and forty seven.

I don't think you can get it for 300 dollars. I bet you're an Audio Technica dealer.
Look noob, everyone here knows what the AT 40 series is, except you!! tutt
Old 16th September 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks for all your replies. I will look into what you have suggested.

I think I'll spend my whole budget to a condenser mic that doesn't requiere a whole lot preamping so I can just get the mic for now and get a better preamp later on. As I said, I already have a sm57 (and an art tube mp...) to get a mic line to add some meat to the DI line when recording bass. At that job the art isn't that bad either, afterall the mic line is there to add beef and little mud doesn't matter that much.

However, as the presonus pres aren't hot enough for the shures and as I know I can get a sound that better suits my needs with a condenser, I think I'll go that way and get one of those golden age pre 73's a bit later on.

The AT 4047 sound really interesting, but it's sale price over here is over twice my budget, almost 700 euros.. So I guess I'll look into the Kel. Do you know if it's hotter than the shure sm7b, as I believe that the presonus pres couldn't handle the shure. From AT, the 2035 and 2050 would fit my budget, I'm guessing they're no good.

A local guy really recommended the studio projects c1 for a broke a** student saying it's the shiniest turd in a pile of s*it, which is a big compliment from him, any input on that?

Also thomann, the big german dealer, apparently really wants to sell SE electronics mics, are they any good? Namely the SE 2200A?

The kel would also probably be a great choice, but I'm a bit worried to order overseas, as there will be customs and taxes to pay and if I don't like it, it could get quite expensive.

Anyhow, thanks again. This is a great forum, so many replies in such a little time.
Old 16th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejii View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I will look into what you have suggested.

I think I'll spend my whole budget to a condenser mic that doesn't requiere a whole lot preamping so I can just get the mic for now and get a better preamp later on. As I said, I already have a sm57 (and an art tube mp...) to get a mic line to add some meat to the DI line when recording bass. At that job the art isn't that bad either, afterall the mic line is there to add beef and little mud doesn't matter that much.

However, as the presonus pres aren't hot enough for the shures and as I know I can get a sound that better suits my needs with a condenser, I think I'll go that way and get one of those golden age pre 73's a bit later on.

The AT 4047 sound really interesting, but it's sale price over here is over twice my budget, almost 700 euros.. So I guess I'll look into the Kel. Do you know if it's hotter than the shure sm7b, as I believe that the presonus pres couldn't handle the shure. From AT, the 2035 and 2050 would fit my budget, I'm guessing they're no good.

A local guy really recommended the studio projects c1 for a broke a** student saying it's the shiniest turd in a pile of s*it, which is a big compliment from him, any input on that?

Also thomann, the big german dealer, apparently really wants to sell SE electronics mics, are they any good? Namely the SE 2200A?

The kel would also probably be a great choice, but I'm a bit worried to order overseas, as there will be customs and taxes to pay and if I don't like it, it could get quite expensive.

Anyhow, thanks again. This is a great forum, so many replies in such a little time.

I myself have not used the c1, but from everything I've read, many people would keep studio projects mics in their locker even after having several high end brands.
Look for the AT4047 used...you might be able to find a steal.

Getting an ok mic first is fine. As you learn the craft and your ears develop, then you'll learn what kind of preamp you want in order to achieve what you aren't hearing with your current setup.
Old 16th September 2009
Quote:

Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't listen to this guy. AT don't do a 40 series. The M179 is good on Toms but not on voice. EV mics are great for horns. The ND468 or an RE20. The Blue mics are good but i bet he never used them.
I used to sell pro audio gear for a living and I worked for an authorized Blue and Audio-Technica dealer (among many other highly reputable brands in the industry). I've used plenty of their gear before. And I'd never suggest anything I haven't used or wouldn't back up.

The AT 40 series is what the mics are called the 40 are the first two digits to every model in the series. If you had common sense you would've at least looked on the AT website to try to prove me wrong but you'd probably realize after visiting there that all their literature calls it the AT 40 series.

The AT2035 is pretty much the same mic as the AT3035 and it was a terrific mic. I haven't really messed with the 2035 yet to know they are identical but judging by the specs, look of the mic, model number, etc I'm pretty sure the 2035 is the same thing with a black paintjob instead of nickel. Now as to getting a 40 series mic, which is a big step up in quality, I was referring to looking used. In the states you can often get them anywhere from $150-$400 used depending on shape and model. AT4040, AT4047, and AT4050 work terrific on vocals in my experience I've owned all three mics I know what I'm talking about. Furthermore that was when I owned my Firebox and I know they all pair well together.

I own the CAD mics and they work just fine for most vocalists, yeah they aren't super charactered so pretty much what you put in is what you get out. But there is nothing wrong with having a neutral canvas.

Basically I'm just saying the OP is probably going to need to expand options a bit and be willing to try out as many things as he can. How about instead of flaming me for giving him some good CHEAP options (though I didn't realize he was in Europe so that will probably change some of my advice) you just add in what you want to add.

I've actually owned the Firebox and believe it or not I have an SM57. I've used the SM7b countless times in college and in commercial studios I know how the mic works. Using the preamps in the Firebox probably wouldn't work optimally on that mic. At least on my Firebox a few years ago the pres only had about 40-45 dB of gain range there simply wasn't enough power to do vocals with most dynamic mics. I love the SM57 but to use it with a Firebox you'd be looking at upgrading to a much nicer preamp I'm not so sure the OP wants to just buy a really nice preamp with his hard earned money.

So perhaps before you try to flame and insult people you should make sure you know wtf you are talking about yourself.

As far as the EV mics go yes the N/D-468 is designed for instruments (and I never suggested it) but the N/D-767a and RE-20 work great on most male vocalists.

But what do I know I've only sold the gear and worked freelance with friends that have successful live sound companies and commercial studios? I just don't do that with my life right now because I'm busy with college, playing with my band, working two jobs (non music related), etc.

And frankly I'm probably not completely full of **** look at how many posts I've contributed vs the number you have and how long I've been a member here. Get some friggin perspective. If I had no clue what I was talking about or was obnoxious I'd be thrown off the forum long ago.
Old 16th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonwannabe View Post
I used to sell pro audio gear for a living and I worked for an authorized Blue and Audio-Technica dealer (among many other highly reputable brands in the industry). I've used plenty of their gear before. And I'd never suggest anything I haven't used or wouldn't back up.

The AT 40 series is what the mics are called the 40 are the first two digits to every model in the series. If you had common sense you would've at least looked on the AT website to try to prove me wrong but you'd probably realize after visiting there that all their literature calls it the AT 40 series.

The AT2035 is pretty much the same mic as the AT3035 and it was a terrific mic. I haven't really messed with the 2035 yet to know they are identical but judging by the specs, look of the mic, model number, etc I'm pretty sure the 2035 is the same thing with a black paintjob instead of nickel. Now as to getting a 40 series mic, which is a big step up in quality, I was referring to looking used. In the states you can often get them anywhere from $150-$400 used depending on shape and model. AT4040, AT4047, and AT4050 work terrific on vocals in my experience I've owned all three mics I know what I'm talking about. Furthermore that was when I owned my Firebox and I know they all pair well together.

I own the CAD mics and they work just fine for most vocalists, yeah they aren't super charactered so pretty much what you put in is what you get out. But there is nothing wrong with having a neutral canvas.

Basically I'm just saying the OP is probably going to need to expand options a bit and be willing to try out as many things as he can. How about instead of flaming me for giving him some good CHEAP options (though I didn't realize he was in Europe so that will probably change some of my advice) you just add in what you want to add.

I've actually owned the Firebox and believe it or not I have an SM57. I've used the SM7b countless times in college and in commercial studios I know how the mic works. Using the preamps in the Firebox probably wouldn't work optimally on that mic. At least on my Firebox a few years ago the pres only had about 40-45 dB of gain range there simply wasn't enough power to do vocals with most dynamic mics. I love the SM57 but to use it with a Firebox you'd be looking at upgrading to a much nicer preamp I'm not so sure the OP wants to just buy a really nice preamp with his hard earned money.

So perhaps before you try to flame and insult people you should make sure you know wtf you are talking about yourself.

As far as the EV mics go yes the N/D-468 is designed for instruments (and I never suggested it) but the N/D-767a and RE-20 work great on most male vocalists.

But what do I know I've only sold the gear and worked freelance with friends that have successful live sound companies and commercial studios? I just don't do that with my life right now because I'm busy with college, playing with my band, working two jobs (non music related), etc.

And frankly I'm probably not completely full of **** look at how many posts I've contributed vs the number you have and how long I've been a member here. Get some friggin perspective. If I had no clue what I was talking about or was obnoxious I'd be thrown off the forum long ago.
I don't think anyone here was questioning your advice after that guys rediculous post. Rest easy.
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

yeah sorry people just annoy me as of lately I'm not a fan of the flame and insult but never really offering any type of decent suggestions/advice

And really it's not always good advice to say a dynamic mic like an SM7b will always work better for every situation.

Sometimes I like capturing the air from my voice from a condenser mic over the rolled off highs type of vibe you get from just about any dynamic mic. Although I'm a tenor I have a dark/raspy character to my voice sometimes my voice gets lost naturally without really EQ'ing and everything when I record with a dynamic mic. For stuff when I'm rockin out I love the sound I get when I record with a dynamic mic. But for the stuff I'm doing now which is more acoustic guitar oriented I prefer throwing up a condenser (in my case I only have 2 M179 since I have a small apartment and I'm broke,not the variety of condensers I once had).

If you already have an SM57 I'd probably suggest getting a condenser. Because the SM57 can give you the fat, meaty vibe when needed and then the condenser is a world of different color.

An SM7b is basically just a hi fi SM57.
Old 16th September 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Oh so you've made long winded posts.

May I remind you of these....Nate McClure on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos...

So making those posts made you an average engineer.

It's not my fault Audio Technica can't count. Everyone knows that 4047 is four thousand and forty seven and that 47 is forty seven.

Quote:
Although I'm a tenor I have a dark/raspy character to my voice sometimes my voice gets lost naturally without really EQ'ing and everything when I record with a dynamic mic
Huh? A good dynamic doesn't need EQing. The SM58 is designed to sit above mixes generally, with it's presence peak.
Old 16th September 2009
For once, Chris's infamous "ignore list" is actually a tempting idea...
Old 16th September 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
For once, Chris's infamous "ignore list" is actually a tempting idea..
Don't ignore him, just tell him not to make stuff up.
Old 16th September 2009
Corrected:

Quote:

It's not my fault Audio Technica can't count. Everyone knows that 4047 is four thousand and forty seven and that 47 is forty seven.
For once, Chris's infamous "ignore list" is actually a tempting idea...
Old 16th September 2009
Gear Maniac

If your budget is greatest thing to factor in, I'd look at some plugins as a cheap fix. It's not nearly as good as a real preamp, but I think you might find more control over the color of your sound this way. I'm sure there are lots of half decent plugins in the lower price range that I've never tried, but here are a couple that I have used and depending on the situation still use sometimes:

1. Good Ole' T-Racks. I think you can get a new, low end version of this for about $100. This will color the heck out of your sound, which can be a bit of a double edged sword. Also along the same type of sound, there are the "Classic" plugins that you can download for free on the internet. With both of these, there is no actual preamp model, but using any of the effects (EQ, Compressor, Limiter...) will give the impression of some sort of preamp in the chain.

2. Podfarm of ilok... ...that is if you have an ilok device. You can get an entry level version for $100, and I think that there is a free 15 day trial. They have models of guitar amps, bass amps and studio preamps.

3. I've seen some other preamp model plugins around but I have never used anything else at this price point. I'm sure some one else around here could tell you about others.

As for mics go, rent some and try them first or see if you can do a shootout at the store. It's usually not a that great an idea to buy a mic if you don't know what it sounds like, unless you are okay with the possibility of buying something you hate. There is no one who can tell you what you will like better than your own two ears! I know a lot of people like the mxl 990 for it's price, but I find it doesn't quite have the detailed response of a LDC and doesn't quite have the sound of a pencil condenser. Here are some mics that some people like in the lower price range:

Audio Technica AT2020 - similar to a mxl 990, sounds a good bit nicer and built like a tank
MXL V67 - you can mod it later
Shure KSM27 - good solid sound for the price
Apex 460 - tube mic, you can mod it later
Blue Baby Bottle - great for some, not so great for others
Audio Technica AT4040 - some love it, others hate it. I'd take it over a NT1A

HTH,
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh so you've made long winded posts.

May I remind you of these....Nate McClure on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos...

Huh? A good dynamic doesn't need EQing. The SM58 is designed to sit above mixes generally, with it's presence peak.
Every mic requires EQ'ing you can ask just about any sound engineer that. Run sound for an event that has a bunch of different bands all using the same mics say SM58s on vocals. Tell me you never have to touch the EQ to make it sound better for the different performers. And the SM58 is a stage mic it will not be engineered to sound the same as a recording or broadcast mic. Most dynamic mics including the SM58 do not have the high end extension that a condenser mic will have. But don't take my word for it just download a couple frequency plots from a few mics. Take an SM58 chart and say a neutral mic like an AT4050. The high frequencies will not drop off on the AT4050 you can clearly see them drop off on the SM58. And if you honestly think that every dynamic mic has the frequency plot of an SM58 you are vastly mistaken.

And I'm sorry but you are wrong about the title of Audio-Technica's line. I'm merely representing their products I didn't come up with them. If you don't like that they call it 40 series instead of 4000 than why don't you take it up with Audio-Technica!

I never claimed to be anything more than an average engineer I don't make my living off this. You seem to be the only one here that believes that. If I'm wrong I stand corrected, but I don't claim to be professional.

And like I said earlier if you knew wtf you were talking about where are your brilliant suggestions? Why don't you quit attacking me and try helping other people out, which is the whole purpose of the forum and the thread.

I'm so glad you found my myspace page congrats dude.
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

Out of the budget but decent mics I recommend :-

Oktava MK-319 (can get it modded later)

MXL v67G (can get it modded later)

Studio Projects B1

Rode NT-1a

The Kel HM-2d looks very interesting and I know lots of people who love the CAD M177 and SE 2200a.

I possible you should try a get to a store and try these mics out and buy the one that suits you the best!
Old 16th September 2009
Here for the gear

Thank you very much KeithMoonWannabe for your extensive and informative post, especially the information regarding compatibility with the firebox is really useful and very much appreciated. I'll snoop around ebay. By the way, do you know any other places I could scavenge for a used AT mic in US? Preferably a store of somekind as I'm not very trusting when it comes to overseas ebay stuff as I once got burned with a saxophone that was nothing like described, ended up taking a hit of almost 800 usd in taxes even though paypal sided with me..

Waiting for a specific used quality mic to come on the market in my little country would result me turning 90 before getting that mic.

But I must say, I'm really interested in the 2020/ 2035 too because of the price and the availability. I realize a used high end microphone would be a much better investment though.

And to jlipoth, I almost forgot about the plugins. I don't have any of the ones you mentioned, but I do have the diamond bundle from waves with plenty of compressors and eq's, I just don't know if it's usable with vocals and most of all how to use them with vocals, but for that I can get help from a friend. The need to record vocals is something I didn't plan on but as the need came up pretty urgently, I'm now forced to make decisions on a low budget and very little time for research.

Regarding the more aggressive posts I was about to say: "relax guys, they're only microphones.." But I guess I'd be the next in row for some tar and feathers

So yeah, thanks again. Now I just got to make my own mind and take the plunge.
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

Add to Dickie's list:

MXL M3 - this will work wonders on female vox as a value-priced mic.
Old 16th September 2009
Lives for gear

If a used AT 4047 ( you know, 40 series) is too much go with the Studio projects B1. $100 bucks and work well on nearlly everything I put them in front of. BTW I do not sell gear. Full time studio owner/engineer for 20 years. The vast majority of my gear belongs in the high end catagory, vintage and new. I help out if I can. I don't like seeing the blind lead the blind. If you don't like a suggestion ( The fresh man) easy enough to ignore.

Cheers
Old 16th September 2009
Gear Maniac

The waves plugins are very nice to work with. The stuff in the Diamond Bundle is much more transparent than the plugins I recommended; That is they will help bring out the sound you already have. I like the Rvox plugin: it's a very simple plugin that can really fill out a voice in a mix. On the preamp plugin side of things, I really like the Waves SSL pluginns. Anyways, depending on the mic and vocalist the same preamp plugin could sound like junk or amazing (at least in the lower price/free range). Hopefully you'll find what your looking for.
Old 17th September 2009
Gear Maniac
An AT 40 series used, and a Rane MS1b pre used, to go with the Firebox. This will cover most of the low budget bases you seem to need covered. You might want to throw a used RNC into the equation too.
Old 17th September 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
And I'm sorry but you are wrong about the title of Audio-Technica's line. I'm merely representing their products I didn't come up with them. If you don't like that they call it 40 series instead of 4000 than why don't you take it up with Audio-Technica!
From Audio Technica:

Dear Dave,
Thank you for your question into our four thousand series microphones. It is true about them being four thousand series but for convenience and interweb abbreviation purposes we allow them to be known as the forty series which does devalue the product some what but most of us in the office, particularly Julie, still call them four thousand. For example my favorite overheads are four thousand and fifties (but not really I love the sound of my KM84s and have you ever used an M49 as a room mic.. but I digress) .
I acknowledge you want the world to understand that it is not our fault that people call them the forty series but instead we just claim that we call them the forty series, which may I say really annoys Julie ( though not as much as when she found out Jarrod was gay at last years Christmas party after she had pashed him and promised bedroom things that I shouldn't talk about with clients).
we'd like to take this oppurtunity to inform you of our constantly updating Two Thousand Series ( Hey I know what you're thinking but we're hoping this will stay correctly titled, especially Julie). Did you know the 2035 is the exact same as the old 3035 but we've made it black to smooth it out at around 6k?
Thank you for your correspondance we love hearing from forty thousand series fans.
Love Mrs Technica.

Quote:
I never claimed to be anything more than an average engineer I don't make my living off this. You seem to be the only one here that believes that. If I'm wrong I stand corrected, but I don't claim to be professional.
Incorrect. I don't believe you are average. I believe that someone with the quality of recordings you do should not be reccomending 17 microphones when they don't don't know how to use them.

But anyway peace out, I'm sorry you didn't like my criticism and about how that jerk wanted to ignore you.
Old 17th September 2009
Quote:
From Audio Technica:

Dear Dave,
Thank you for your question into our four thousand series microphones. It is true about them being four thousand series but for convenience and interweb abbreviation purposes we allow them to be known as the forty series which does devalue the product some what but most of us in the office, particularly Julie, still call them four thousand. For example my favorite overheads are four thousand and fifties (but not really I love the sound of my KM84s and have you ever used an M49 as a room mic.. but I digress) .
I acknowledge you want the world to understand that it is not our fault that people call them the forty series but instead we just claim that we call them the forty series, which may I say really annoys Julie ( though not as much as when she found out Jarrod was gay at last years Christmas party after she had pashed him and promised bedroom things that I shouldn't talk about with clients).
we'd like to take this oppurtunity to inform you of our constantly updating Two Thousand Series ( Hey I know what you're thinking but we're hoping this will stay correctly titled, especially Julie). Did you know the 2035 is the exact same as the old 3035 but we've made it black to smooth it out at around 6k?
Thank you for your correspondance we love hearing from forty thousand series fans.
Love Mrs Technica.

Incorrect. I don't believe you are average. I believe that someone with the quality of recordings you do should not be reccomending 17 microphones when they don't don't know how to use them.

But anyway peace out, I'm sorry you didn't like my criticism and about how that jerk wanted to ignore you.

It's posts like these that make this place so frustrating.

Let me try to meet you on your level.

In the English language, we sometimes shorten common words to make them quicker and easier to say.
This is called speaking "Colloquially." It makes conversation easier and a little more personable for both the speaker and the listener.

Audio Technica, and many other companies for that matter, use nomenclature to name their product, and to differentiate between price points. Since particular mics may be very similar within a given price point, with a few varying features, they may have the same first two digits.

Most people 4 years old and above know that 4047 is pronounced "Four Thousand Four Hundred and Fourty Seven."
However, as you can tell from even me typing that out, it's a mouth full and/or a lot of typing.

As we mentioned above, many English speakers shorten common, or long words in conversation.
So in this case, most people shorten the long form to "Fourty Fourty Seven."

This, in turn, causes people to use the term "Fourty Series" to clarify about which price point of Audio Technica mics they are talking about.

In NO WAY, does it signify that they are unaware that 4047 is actually Four thousand Four hundred and Fourty seven.

So you have contributed NOTHING to anyone's understanding of ANYTHING by being pedantic about such a rediculous detail that everyone already knows anyway.

Furthermore, your insults are quite rude and takes away the sliver of credibility that you may have had to start with.

/rant.
Old 17th September 2009
Lives for gear

thank you draw the moral!!!

to the fresh man:
and by what do you judge my recordings? you haven't heard them before...so what if you listened to my myspace page...most of that stuff is really dated material and if I told you what I used to record most of those songs you probably couldn't have made a better recording of it yourself

What's funny is in another thread a guy askes what do you suggest NT1a or KSM27 both are $200-$300 mics.

You suggest a U47???? then later it becomes an MXL V67 modded????

maybe I just don't get you AT ALL...perhaps it's just me but that just doesn't make sense.

But how does any advice like that even help anyone or give you any type of reputation/credibility. How does anything you're contributing to this thread or community help anyone at all?

I realize I may talk a lot or come off as long winded but at least I have constructive things to tell people. And I have better things to do than to insult people over something they have no control over. I don't sit at my computer being an asshole to people or are just trying to share ideas and help each other.

Think whatever you want about me, bottom line is you don't really know me and you don't really know what knowledge I have about what I'm saying. So what if you don't believe I've used so many products and don't know how to use them. Nobody gives a flip, if I'm so full of crap people can just ignore what I say or kick me off of here. It's not hard to do, no body put a gun to your head and made you heed every piece of advice I've ever given. The fact that you dig through the archives basically to find dirt on me is kinda sad don't you have anything better to do with your life?

The difference between you and I is that I actually know when I can give advice and when to stop talking before making a fool of myself. I can't say based on the continuous posts you put up arguing with me that you have the same self control.

Not once did I admit to know everything or being uber talented I'm just giving advice and suggestions based on my experience. Bottom line is none of the suggestions I have given anywhere on here where terrible, oftentimes I've found that other people either agree with me or merely add to them. They may not be perfect but that's situation dependent and in an online forum where I don't personally work with these people it'd be a little hard to match them with a perfect mic or whatever it is they want if I've never heard the source been in there room etc.

I'm really not sure why you are so quick to criticize others and why you seem to single me out. If you don't like my music or whatever fine you are entitled to your opinion but I'd suggest from now on that you keep your opinions to yourself because I'm tired of reading them. If you wanna give me constructive criticism that I can actually use then go for it. But if you are just going to continue being unproductive and insulting here I'll talk to the moderators because I don't feel I've done anything to deserve this. Frankly for the sake of the rest of the community gearslutz doesn't need this. People like you make the internet a crappy place to spend what little free time you have.

Why are you so pissed off at me I don't even know you? Furthermore what did I do to you to cause you to be pissed off at me? You act like a little child throwing a temper tantrum. Leave me the hell alone if you are just going to be rude and demeaning every time I post something.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search