The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Good/Cheap headphones for Mixing/Reference purposes?
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreamdjs View Post
Alex Tumay swears by the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. He uses them as his source of truth constantly.
They are great for telling you whats going on with the bass and reverb trails, but I wouldn't mix on them. Had mine for ten years, on its second set of replacement pads
Old 23rd December 2017
Gear Maniac

AKG K-612 Pro. Just over a hundred bucks. Best kept headphone secret.

T
Old 7th June 2019
Here for the gear

Shure SRH440 gets my vote today. This is one of the best studio headphones available in the market, in my opinion.

https://homestudiomaven.com/studio-h...ones-under-100
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Addict
I'd stick to open back for mixing, I think DT990s are good BECAUSE they are NOT flat (eh you say?) they emphasise the bottom end which helps you make mixing decisions, you'll soon learn to translate the sound into reality, I can't mix on flat headphones coz I can't hear what's going on down low without turning up too loud. But if you're mixing material with a lot of sub frequencies you may struggle with any headphone - a very experienced mixer will translate it but most mere mortals will struggle. If I'm having trouble with the mids I swap over to my Avantone MP1s - which also have a dead handy mono switch to look for phase issues. 9/10 times though the fine tuning of my mix decisions are invariably made in the car!
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Russell View Post
I bought my Sennheiser 590s when that was the top of the range. Nothing under that number ever came close to being good enough. But they're open. The only closed back ones that I've ever liked are the Beyer DT770s, which we use for tracking. However, the hyped bass in these due to the closed back mean that they're not a good reference set.

It's not a good idea to mix using headphones. It'll make you deafer than Beethoven much sooner than you'd like.

Yeah, 590s are great still. I got mine for $8 at a thrift shop in 2005 and they're still my go-to headphones even though I got some 650s back in 2014, just because they're so comfortable for long term use. 650s feel heavy and tight 9n the head in comparison, so they mainly get used for mix reference stuff.

If you dig you can probably get a used pair of 590s for $150 or less, and if you make friends with your local Guitar Center salespeople, the markup on Sennheiser stuff is unusually big; employee discounted 650s were $220 when I got mine.

I haven't heard any closed headphones that I'd be comfortable trying to mix on.
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Addict

used Beyerdynamic DT 770.
cheap, good, for mixing/reference purposes — 3 in 1.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search