The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What next?
Old 6th July 2009
  #1
Gear Head
 

What next?

I am building up a small home studio, buying what i can, when i can. Acquiring things when an opportunity presents itself. My question is, what should i buy next? I know i need a lot of things, but im having trouble prioritizing.

I currently have:
Digidesign 003
Yamaha MW10C (currently using it as four extra mic pre's)
Fostex Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 25
3x SM57's
SM58
Shure Beta 52
AT3035
2x AKG Perception 220's
A korg NanoKontrol
Line 6 UX2 (amp modeling)
Sennheiser HD205 headphones

And a collection of keyboards, guitars, basses, amps, ect.

What is the next logical thing for me to add? Mic's? Pre's? A control surface? Tell me, please!

Thanks
Old 6th July 2009
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoore1230 View Post
I am building up a small home studio, buying what i can, when i can. Acquiring things when an opportunity presents itself. My question is, what should i buy next? I know i need a lot of things, but im having trouble prioritizing.

I currently have:
Digidesign 003
Yamaha MW10C (currently using it as four extra mic pre's)
Fostex Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 25
3x SM57's
SM58
Shure Beta 52
AT3035
2x AKG Perception 220's
A korg NanoKontrol
Line 6 UX2 (amp modeling)
Sennheiser HD205 headphones

And a collection of keyboards, guitars, basses, amps, ect.

What is the next logical thing for me to add? Mic's? Pre's? A control surface? Tell me, please!

Thanks
I think it depends on what you are trying to do...what kind of music, etc. But the standard go to answer here is always ROOM TREATMENTS! learning how to put in bass traps and things is going to be an important next step. Check out the acoustics forum on here
Old 6th July 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
close/far's Avatar
 

Upgrade monitors, if not room treatment. What model are the Fostex?
Old 6th July 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
rty5150's Avatar
 

get that room sounding great! more important link and most often neglected part.

after that, get the best preamp you can afford...and throw in a couple more hundred. a great channel is worth a month of ramen noodles.

after that, one really good mic and a good set of monitors. all of these will make mixing 100x easier and more enjoyable.

less fixing more mixing!
Old 6th July 2009
  #5
Gear Head
 

thanks guys
Old 6th July 2009
  #6
Gear Guru
 
Ethan Winer's Avatar
 

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
get that room sounding great! more important link and most often neglected part.
Indeed. Who cares how accurate your speakers are when an untreated room adds half a dozen peaks/nulls spanning literally 25 to 30 dB each.

--Ethan
Old 6th July 2009
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
Benlittlejohn's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Indeed. Who cares how accurate your speakers are when an untreated room adds half a dozen peaks/nulls spanning literally 25 to 30 dB each.

--Ethan
+1!
Old 8th July 2009
  #8
Gear Head
 

thanks for the input.

By the way, my monitors are Fostex PM-1 MKII's
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump