The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kel HM7U in action
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Kel HM7U in action

There seems to be a lot of curiosity for the Kel HM7U. I did a recording of an extremely absurdistic (but funny) story the other day, with the Kel HM7U. It's in Dutch so I think most of you won't understand but I guess your auditory cortex will not be distracted by semantic processing then. Listen here:

Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

MP3 at 192 kbps. Any comments greatly appreciated.
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

That's the best clip I have heard on that mic. What is the chain?
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
That's the best clip I have heard on that mic. What is the chain?
I pm'ed you the chain. I'll post it here after a couple of replies cause I don't want to prime people heh
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Come on, 82 views and one reply? heh
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Head

Thanks so much for posting this mate! well done
great to hear the 7U outside of KEL's samples, although how hard is it to get a clean version with no reverb etc? would be a easier (for me anyway) to get a better view ion the mic.

Any further comments on the 7U? build quality, overall impressions etc?

thanks again for making the effort
jas
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrove View Post
Thanks so much for posting this mate! well done
great to hear the 7U outside of KEL's samples, although how hard is it to get a clean version with no reverb etc? would be a easier (for me anyway) to get a better view ion the mic.

Any further comments on the 7U? build quality, overall impressions etc?

thanks again for making the effort
jas
It's pretty clean actually. Just a little bit of T-Racks Fairchild compression and Bricasti M7 verb. If you want a 100 % clean version I can post one.

I love this mic. I have a bunch of mics lying around which cost ten times as much, but I find myself using this mic just as much, if not more.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Head

clean post please.
Have heard some comments about it being too light, flimsy and cheap feeling in its build.
which having owned the HM-1, I find hard to believe

jas
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrove View Post
clean post please.
Have heard some comments about it being too light, flimsy and cheap feeling in its build.
which having owned the HM-1, I find hard to believe

jas
"too light, flimsy and cheap feeling"

I don't really care :-)

Yes the mic is relatively light, is that a bad thing? I don't think weight has anything to say about how it sounds. I have two HM-1s as well and they share the build quality of the HM7U.

I'll post a raw sample today here ASAP! Have to get my external HDs organized first.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Head

Agree, post i read made it out that it wouldnt last a week.
Glad its up the build of the HM1 which is solid.

thanks in advance for the clip
j
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
It's pretty clean actually. Just a little bit of T-Racks Fairchild compression and Bricasti M7 verb. If you want a 100 % clean version I can post one.

I love this mic. I have a bunch of mics lying around which cost ten times as much, but I find myself using this mic just as much, if not more.
What mic pre did you use ??

David B
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler59 View Post
What mic pre did you use ??

David B
What do you think? Take a guess :-)
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Addict

GA Pre73 ??

DB
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
GA Pre73 ??

DB
I PMed you the chain. Let's not prime other people for a while heh
Old 6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Maniac

that sounds pretty!

looks like im picking one up soon
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Head

clip

Thanks for posting that! sounds good
j
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Maniac

I find a lot of mics are great on voice over, but very few can catch that musical vibe well. If you can post some samples of singing that would be great.
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBassPlayer View Post
I find a lot of mics are great on voice over, but very few can catch that musical vibe well. If you can post some samples of singing that would be great.
Ah yes. I'll be using the mic to record a singer next week, I think it will be OK to post some clips online. I'll do it when I have the chance :-)
Old 17th July 2009
Gear Head

So what mic pre?
Old 17th July 2009
Anyone else have any thoughts/input/clips on this mic? Im considering getting the hm7u to get a present and full vocal sound for an acoustic album. Price/performance wise, this seems to be the obvious choice...
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangemeders View Post
Anyone else have any thoughts/input/clips on this mic? Im considering getting the hm7u to get a present and full vocal sound for an acoustic album. Price/performance wise, this seems to be the obvious choice...
it's a cool mic..
I posted a pretty lengthy review or two on another hm7u thread previously.

It's got a bit of a mid-range honk to it.
It's a crisp sounding mic, but lacks the super painful essy-ness of most cheaper mics.

It isn't as up-front or as dry sounding as my SM7.
the sm7 handles about 90% of my vocal duties, but when I need a different feel/sound.. the HM7u is just a completely different sounding mic.

It takes eq and reverb really, really well... which is nice.
Old 17th July 2009
I did a big thread about it, you can hear my samples on Kel audio's website. Their mics definitely sound good.
Old 17th July 2009
Gear Nut

Question

Thank you for sharing this with the community.

I'm always looking for a kick ass "budget" condenser mic, but every single one I've heard (chinese copies, etc) all have this extremely horrid and annoying and easily noticeable amount of "sizzle" that I cannot stand.

Overall, this mic is better to my ears than most "budget condenser microphones, so...

This mic has less sizzle, but I'm still hearing that almost ear-piercing like sizzle on the high end. It almost sounds like a slight distortion and it is is slight, but I still notice that high-end sizzle. Does anyone else here that trebbly / sizzle quality?
Old 18th July 2009
Gear Addict

I use my HM-7u with either a Sebatron VMP-4000 or a Hamptone HVTP2 mic pre and I have no problems with the sizzle you are talking about. I have a nice airy top end that works well for the type of music I record (acoustic folk / americana). In the words of Borat, "Very Nice !!!).

David Blackmon
Old 18th July 2009
Lives for gear

HM7U + Auteur + Talent = WOW!
Old 18th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejacky View Post
Thank you for sharing this with the community.

I'm always looking for a kick ass "budget" condenser mic, but every single one I've heard (chinese copies, etc) all have this extremely horrid and annoying and easily noticeable amount of "sizzle" that I cannot stand.

Overall, this mic is better to my ears than most "budget condenser microphones, so...

This mic has less sizzle, but I'm still hearing that almost ear-piercing like sizzle on the high end. It almost sounds like a slight distortion and it is is slight, but I still notice that high-end sizzle. Does anyone else here that trebbly / sizzle quality?
Which pre are you using? The Hm7U doesn't have a harsh sizzle at all.
Old 18th July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere View Post
it's a cool mic..
I posted a pretty lengthy review or two on another hm7u thread previously.

It's got a bit of a mid-range honk to it.
It's a crisp sounding mic, but lacks the super painful essy-ness of most cheaper mics.
+1, on certain voices I have had to make some seriously deep and wide mid cuts with this mic... I do love it though!
Old 24th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use my HM-7u with either a Sebatron VMP-4000 or a Hamptone HVTP2 mic pre and I have no problems with the sizzle you are talking about. I have a nice airy top end that works well for the type of music I record (acoustic folk / americana). In the words of Borat, "Very Nice !!!).

David Blackmon
Been gagging to hear the sebatron for a while now & now I have. Very nice. I'm gonna get a couple of their mics I think.
Old 25th July 2009
Gear Head

i really want to know what pre you're using.....

i'd love to think you got that kind of a sound out of a tube mp or something similar, but thats a long shot...........

great river?
Old 26th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutnoah View Post
i really want to know what pre you're using.....

i'd love to think you got that kind of a sound out of a tube mp or something similar, but thats a long shot...........

great river?
what pre? what pre? please

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search