The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer BCF 2000 Control Surfaces
View Poll Results: Thoughts?
Me likey
100 Votes - 86.21%
Don't even go there.
16 Votes - 13.79%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th July 2009
Behringer BCF 2000

I know it's Behringer but is it really that bad? It's £120 and the next jump on Thomann is about £400 for a similar unit. I really want motorized faders!

General thoughts? How smooth is the motor control? For example, I drag it down on the computer, does it go down as I drag it or does it jump a little? I've seen some units do that and I really didn't like it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

For a home studio the bcf2000 is a great addition.

The fader movement is a little wobbly on playback but it's no big deal.

The main thing is how it can add another dimension to your mixes. You can mess around with the faders in ways you'd never dream of with a mouse
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
General thoughts?!
Good. Worked fine in MCU mode for about five years, maybe more. Bangs about a bit when shifting though banks, but I kinda like that. Bit like my wife. I got a Mackie Universal Pro on order but I shall still keep the Berry as spare or even 8 more faders.

If you get one find the bcfview.exe virtual hud display.

ns
Old 5th July 2009
Can I get the HUD display for Mac?

I pretty much had my heart set on it and then I saw a couple of people bashing them. I suppose it's the norm with anything made by Behringer but I don't wanna buy something being described as a mistake! Pretty sure I'll go for it.
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Can I get the HUD display for Mac?
Someone over here BCF 2000 rubish,or not?

is using this

LC Xmu — Logic/Mackie Control emulation and management

LC Xmu — supported controllers

ns
Old 5th July 2009
Another couple of questions:
Just how "freely assignable" are the controls on this thing? For example in Logic, can I use the knobs for panning but then when I open up my EQ, the knobs become my EQ? Then I close that and they go back to pan. Same with compressors, gates, etc? Can I program the buttons to open and close my various plugins?

Thanks for the link and the help, I'm slowly securing my decision!
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Another couple of questions:
Just how "freely assignable" are the controls on this thing? For example in Logic, can I use the knobs for panning but then when I open up my EQ, the knobs become my EQ? Then I close that and they go back to pan. Same with compressors, gates, etc? Can I program the buttons to open and close my various plugins?
Don't know about Logic. Should all work fine as BCF has Logic Control emulation built into it. It all depends on how Logic handles things to what can be customised. The easiest way to use the BCF is in one of the emulation modes. MCU, Logic Control, whatever, obviously LC for you. Then when you fire things up it's all mapped out and ready to go. You can spend an eternity programming your own templates but that's not my idea of fun. I have Samplitude. The MCU mode I employ can be customised to whatever I fancy by adjusting the Samplitude MCU template. Logic probably has something similar but I'm not sure as I'm not a user. In Samp the track EQ's are mapped and VST's can be controlled but I prefer a Nocturn for any VST/VSTi plugs. I guess if you take a look at the hardware controller documentation in the Logic documentation you will see what can and cannot be done with regard to customisation. BCF is limited to some extent, which is why I'm opting for a Mackie Pro, more knobs, VDU, jogwheel and everything. Much can be done with the BCF though and it is an extremely useful little mixer.

You switch from, say, pan to EQ, by changing the function of the Vpots with one of the edit buttons.

This is the BCF emulation .pdf with all the mappings for Logic in it.

http://www.behringerdownload.de/BCF2...tion_modes.pdf

ns
Old 5th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Don't know about Logic. Should all work fine as BCF has Logic Control emulation...
Muchas gracias
Old 5th July 2009
the faders are very noisy when they move. I hate that listen to fadermovement instead of music.

try mackie control secondhand.
Old 5th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
try mackie control secondhand.
I was thinking that but I think that will end up way too expensive for this budget. I'd love to get a Mackie.
Old 5th July 2009
I'm loving my BCF2000
Mixing goes way faster and easier and I find I'm less lazy about making the tweaks that are painful with a mouse.

about 1/7 the price of a mackie control for about 80% of the functionality and as a hobbiest I really don't understand the 20% I'm not getting anyway.

in MCU mode I was set up and using it in Acid Pro in about 4 mouse clicks.
No complaints here at all one of the most bang for the buck, functional pieces of kit I've bought even if it is Behringer.
But then again it never touches the sound anyway it's just a physical extension of the on screen mixer display so really could be made by Honda or GM for all that aspect matters.
Old 5th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post
it never touches the sound anyway it's just a physical extension of the on screen mixer display so really could be made by Honda or GM for all that aspect matters.
Exactly my justification for buying one

I really want a Mackie but simply can't afford it. Even a second hand one is over £300, the Behringer is £120. Eventually I may be able to get one but right now I can't even afford the BCF, gotta sell half my stuff to get my new gear.
Old 5th July 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Just get it..it is a great little mixer!!!
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
Just get it..it is a great little mixer!!!
no...dont get one

get threeeeeee!
Old 5th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by awakened View Post
no...dont get one

get threeeeeee!
I like your thinking. When I've built up my home studio as it's SUPPOSED to be (waiting for my brother to move out before I can do that) I want a BCF and a BCR. The CR would be great for EQ in Logic.

8 band EQ meet 8 columns of knobs
3 values (frequency, gain, Q) meet 3 rows of knobs
Then there's the top row which I could switch for compressor and gate and God only knows what else
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like your thinking. When I've built up my home studio as it's SUPPOSED to be (waiting for my brother to move out before I can do that) I want a BCF and a BCR. The CR would be great for EQ in Logic.

8 band EQ meet 8 columns of knobs
3 values (frequency, gain, Q) meet 3 rows of knobs
Then there's the top row which I could switch for compressor and gate and God only knows what else
yep, theyre fun units
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

I love my BCF2000 I have had mine since 2005 and I have no intention of ever getting rid of it.
Old 6th July 2009
a bit more complex and of course more expensive are those

Mixed Logic
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Addict

I really love mine. I hate maneuvering around Cubase without it.
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

Can anyone comment re: if you can adjust the sensitivity / feel of the faders ??

Can't find the info on their online pdf manual.
Old 27th July 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

I used to grab mine and set it in my lap and mix a song..I'm lazy so it worked great for me!!
Old 28th July 2009
Lives for gear

I have one and never use it.. This is garbage
By the way they are not touch sensitive, if you want to move your fader when it's alredy following a course... forget it.
Useless is how I would describe it
Old 28th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud View Post
By the way they are not touch sensitive, if you want to move your fader when it's alredy following a course... forget it.
+1

if you use protools, its not very good.
it doesnt follow automation etc....and there is no scribble strip...

i geuss its good if your starting out, but once you get to a certain level....

but hey, maybe it does work great with cubase and the other DAW's

but if you on protools, its a no-go.
Old 28th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1400 View Post
+1

I'm not sure why there's a limitation with protools, but with reaper it follows automation like there's no tomorrow
Old 28th July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'll give you 20 bucks for it!
Old 28th July 2009
Quote:
I'll give you 30 bucks for it... Unless it's faulty.
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

It's not faulty in anyway. It spend 90% of it's life in it's box and even if I consider this to be crap I treat it like the rest of my gear...
It's in France at the moment and I'm in Montreal so I'm not going to be selling it just now as I obviously can't have access to it.
Old 29th July 2009
Well if you're ever selling give me a holler. I appear to be loosing all the eBay auctions.
Old 29th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

am using it with protools with total satisfaction!!??

need to clean up your greasy fingers or read about the automation mode in PT...

F
Old 31st July 2009
Mja
Here for the gear

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flober1970 View Post
am using it with protools with total satisfaction!!??

need to clean up your greasy fingers or read about the automation mode in PT...

F
Hay flober1970, im just about to migrate from Logic 8 to protools 8- point is, i cant 'hell on earth' afford a command 8 or protools surface right now - are u using PT 8? ?

oh - cheers all for this thread- ive learnt loads !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search