The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Echo audio AF12 W/other interface?
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Echo audio AF12 W/other interface?

What's up slutz. Im makin my move to OTB and am building everything from the ground up.....again. I've been looking at the AF12s for my DA, but am wondering if the play nicely with another card like a Emu 1212M or something with spidf so I can use other converters to track the mixdown. Or should I just get a masterlink and call it a day? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 3rd July 2009
Echo cards playing nicely

Hi, I use Echo cards and have found that they perform very well together when daisy-chained to other Echo cards or other devices with s/pdif (rca type connectors) and/or Word Clock (BNC bayonet type) synchronisation.
This means you have to have one cable going from the Echo device into the computer and another cable carrying time signal to the next audio device in the chain. If your EMU or whatever doesn't have a BNC or rca digital input, then you can't hook up the eight or so Echo inputs, together with the six or so from the EMU and have 14 inputs appear in your Digital Audio Workstation.
The FW12 you asked about can be hooked to another device only by its Word Clock BNC (British Naval Connector) 75-Ohm connector, it doesn't have a s/pdif. The FW-8 does, but not the 12. It doesn't seem to matter which device comes first in the chain, I usually make No1 the Master and all other devices (slaves) take their time from the Master. If you have a high quality external device with a Word Clock OUT, you could drive everything off that, or use an outboard preamp with a BNC OUT. The FW12 still has to have its ieee1394 cable hooked into the computer's FW port (mother board or card) but it can take or give it's time anywhere down the line.
I do not like the FW system (for various other reasons) and I hardly use my 8-input FW device, but I have standardised on the PCI buss cards (4 computers) and I have 2 Laylas hooked up the way I described, plus a couple MIA cards hanging off the end. Although they're all plugged into the same 6-PCI slot Pentium IV motherboards, they still take their time from the wired connections.
Good system, you won't regret the sound quality.I think Marcel is the guy to talk to at the factory - very nice people, always helpful. The Tracktion software couldn't be easier - makes me think Echo ADC/DACs are Mackie's first choice digital chips...
Good luck.
WalterT
Old 3rd July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for that detailed answer. Imma take the plunge.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search