The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Must have plug-ins for under 200 buck!
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Must have plug-ins for under 200 buck!

I'm going to be owning my first ProTools system shortly. I'm looking to find some cheap plugins, mostly compressor, EQ, and reverbs. I feel like I see the same plug-ins all the time becasue of my geographical area. So I need to reach out and find some different plug-ins. So what is everyones favorites.
Old 20th August 2005
Gear Addict

Why Pro-tools? Please don't say it is industry standard.
Old 20th August 2005
Lives for gear

Are you getting an HD system, or LE?

I have a DIgi 002R, so I only know the RTAS plugs. Of those, the PSP and Elemental Audio plugs are some of my favorites.
Old 20th August 2005
Lives for gear

Sonalksis comp. I really think this is one of the best naitive "analog" style plug in comps available today. It doesn't set itselt up. You have to know how to use a compressor! Don't rely on the presets... this plug is super versitle!
Old 20th August 2005
Lives for gear

Waves musicians bundle II- rencomp (absolute essential- I have tried demos of lots of other comps and this one sounds the same as all of them to me (bomb factory, mcdsp, etc.), doesn't look exciting but sounds really good), reneq, renvox, supertap and doubler- $150 for the package, less in some places, I paid $125. Waves customer service was fine when I had to call them. Digi's eqIII, included with protools, is fantastic. I tried the URS EQ's, and to me, eqIII sounded just as good, and reneq was good on certain thigns too. Believe me, I was ready to bust out th eplastic for that Neve EQ. PSP Vintage Warmer and Mixpack make it on every mix I do, and finally, the fxpansion vst-rtas adapter. Opens you up to lots of free vst's, among the best are the Kjaerhus free stuff and the digitalfishphones plugs. Also lets you use spinaudio roomverb, which I like a lot, and SIR (free) convolution verb. I bought convoboy by elevayta because the latency wa slower than SIR, and it was only $15. Hope that helped. The biggest thing I'm finding out the more I mix is that if it sucked going in, no plug in will help that much, but if it sounded good to begin with, well chosen plugs will enhance it. That being said, I am now looking to improve my hardware to get better sound in the first place. Good luck.
Old 20th August 2005
Lives for gear

PSP mixpack
Old 20th August 2005
Gear Nut

Ohm Force's stuff is great; absolutely awesome tools when in the hands of weirdos.
Old 20th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummin4christ
Why Pro-tools? Please don't say it is industry standard.
Why not Pro Tools?
Old 20th August 2005
Gear Maniac

URS has a cool two band EQ for $50.00 (RTAS version) on their website, that I use a fair bit. Also, I think the McDsp Filterbank LE and Compressor Bank LE are right under $200.00. Their stuff sounds very good for the money. If I was only going to buy 1 eq, and 1 compressor plug in, these would be the ones.
Old 20th August 2005
Gear Nut

I used Protools LE for a few years. It was a nice system...but Digidesign is extremily slow with software upgrades especially with Mac/Windows upgrades. For a person on a budget, it's pretty bare as far as built in effects, etc. Now you can add plug-in bundles when buying. PT is perfect for recording and major editing. But, I must say, I am a Logic convert. For a composer of electronic and acoustic music, Logic is an ideal choice. I use to do final editing in PT but I do everything inside Logic now. If I send a session out to another person to mix or a mastering house that used PT, I just convert tracks to .wav or aiff. Check out Logic express for a basic version that is feature packed. Even if you use PT, having Logic express around will be helpful for many things. Thats how I got hooked on Logic. Also, ALL input audio hardware (even digidesigns) is usable with Logic.
Old 21st August 2005
Lives for gear

check out the Elemental Audio plugins. Very good sounding and not really expensive. The PSP Vintage Warmer is great, too. I use it a LOT, but it's easy to screw things up with it. I used it for a while and then fell out of love with it, but then Alphajerk gave me a short tutorial via PM, and now I've got it cookin'. But if I were just putting a system together, I'd get the Elemental bundle.

As EQ's go, the URS N and A series are great. They're pricey, but you can rent-to-own at $150/month (who doesn't like that!) and then you've got one of the best EQ plugins around.
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Maniac

No offense to anyone, but if I wanted to get information about other DAWs that would work for me, I would have asked the impossible question, "Which DAW is better". But I didn't. I've used Logic and Neuendo, and don't like either of them.

Thanks a bunch for the input. These are for an LE system. Any other ideas?
Old 21st August 2005

elemental audio's equim is one of my most used eq's ITB.
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Maniac

A little more than $200, but Waves IR - L Reverb....WOW!!!!!
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Addict

One of my favorite compressor and eq plug ins for ProTools are McDSP Filterbank and Compressorbank. They sound great and are amazingly efficient (take up very little CPU power) so you can use a ton of instances and have room left over for verbs.

The full versions go for about $400 but the LE versions are around $179 each and sound amazing as well.

Cheers,

Rick Naqvi
www.presonus.com
800.750.0323 x114
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
check out the Elemental Audio plugins. Very good sounding and not really expensive. The PSP Vintage Warmer is great, too. I use it a LOT, but it's easy to screw things up with it. I used it for a while and then fell out of love with it, but then Alphajerk gave me a short tutorial via PM, and now I've got it cookin'...

I picked up VintageWarmer a while back, and feel I have yet to get the most out of it...at the risk of sounding lazy, that tutorial sounds like it would be of some benefit to me ?

Cheers,

Nathan
Old 22nd August 2005
Lives for gear

waves musician's bundle II - $149
tritone digital hydratone - $149
digitalfishphones fishfillets - free
psp nitro - $149
psp mixpack - $149
voxengo analogflux - $79
voxengo crunchessor - $49

thumbsup
Old 22nd August 2005
Gear Addict

Same here with the vintage warmer tut. Maybe alphajerk could share his experience on a public thread?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search