The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vocal Chain Help!!!!
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Vocal Chain Help!!!!

First off i'm new here. I'm a R&B/pop producer, and i've heard a lot of great things about this site from Futureproducers.com. I'm looking for a place where i can be helped.

Anyway i want to imrpove my vocal chain.
My equipment:
baby bottle mic
ua solo 610 mic pre
presonus firestudio interface
krk rp 8 monitors.

now i am recording in an open room (my bed room)
But i'm currently building a studio with the a vocal booth digi 02 and all that good stuff but that's not done yet. But i want my own home set up going as well where i can just hop out of bed and get going when i want.

Here's some of my material with some of my artist.
Vdub aka Mr. Music on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
"My Boy"
"Mr. Wonderful"

http://www.myspace.com/jayjamersonmusic
And everything on his page i recorded and mixed.

I don't know if i need an eq, compressor, and/or ad/da converter, i've even concidered selling my mic and or mic pre and upgrading those as well.

Now i don't have fat pockets so don't tell me about some 4k unit. My budget is about 1500 atm.
I've heard about the chameleon labs 7602 mic pre with an eq. i've even heard about the ssl alpha channel with an eq limiter compressor and all kinds of other stuff. also i've heard about apogee ad/da.

I'm just clueless when it comes to hardware, and i didnt plan on getting into doing this vocal thing, but the more i do it the more i get into mixing and vocal producing.

So what do you guys recommend me to do about my vocal chain and upgrading with a $1500 budget.

The idea is to make it so i don't have to use so many plugins to make my vocals sound the way i want if you know what i mean. I want a good signal already pretty much coming through.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Get the apogee's, maybe some better speakers, definitely room treatment...other than that...work on making great music. That UA is the real deal. Get a good comp, if you think you need it. Maybe an FMR RNC.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

another LR, AR rat, huh? whereabouts in the rock are you?

as far as to better your chain, a good comp and room treatments are the way to go.
either the RNC or a dbx 160x.
Old 30th June 2009
You already have some good equipment, so room deadening will definitely help, and changing your firewire interface will help as well. I suggest the M-Audio 610, good converters on the unit.
Old 30th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
You already have some good equipment, so room deadening will definitely help, and changing your firewire interface will help as well. I suggest the M-Audio 610, good converters on the unit.

well, chris, i can attest that the FS has pretty damn good converters, too. i use a FS 2626 with 2 digimax's for 24 channels. it does a very fine job.
vdub is fine with his conversion at this point. another thing, the presonus xmax pres aren't exactly horrible. not great, but usable. coming from m-audio preamps, the xmax pres are light years past the quality of standard m-audio pres. can't speak for the octanes, but the base stuff is crap.
Old 30th June 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Ok..although it is very true..why does everyone feel the need to say the same thing as the next guy?...dint need 2 pages of the same answer..I guess some people can not control themselfs
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
another LR, AR rat, huh? whereabouts in the rock are you?
I'm in west little rock-john barrow-romine
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 View Post
well, chris, i can attest that the FS has pretty damn good converters, too. i use a FS 2626 with 2 digimax's for 24 channels. it does a very fine job.
vdub is fine with his conversion at this point. another thing, the presonus xmax pres aren't exactly horrible. not great, but usable. coming from m-audio preamps, the xmax pres are light years past the quality of standard m-audio pres. can't speak for the octanes, but the base stuff is crap.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the FS, and getting an mbox 2 pro and just using pro tools, or getting cubase 5 with the FS. I currently use cubase 1 hahaha.
I want to do some real time mixing. Get deeper in arranging and comping my vocals to perfection. and since im in an open room, i figured grabing the reflexion filter would be a smart move as well.

I'm thinking of grabing the apogee mini dac. I've heard it will be a big help as well.
Old 1st July 2009
The thing is, the Firestudio to the Mbox 2 is a step down especially when it comes to converters. That's why if you want to use pro tools, you can get the M-Audio 610. You get a better bang for the buck, good converters, and you get to use Pro Tools M-Powered at the same time.

Yes sorry about that earlier, I thought I had read Firebox, my bad.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The thing is, the Firestudio to the Mbox 2 is a step down especially when it comes to converters. That's why if you want to use pro tools, you can get the M-Audio 610. You get a better bang for the buck, good converters, and you get to use Pro Tools M-Powered at the same time.

Yes sorry about that earlier, I thought I had read Firebox, my bad.

Ok, i see the 610 being better than the mbox floating around alot here. What about the 2626 M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire Audio Interface at AmericanMusical.com. Do you think that would benefit me even more than the 610
Old 1st July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdub View Post
Ok, i see the 610 being better than the mbox floating around alot here. What about the 2626 M Audio ProFire 2626 FireWire Audio Interface at AmericanMusical.com. Do you think that would benefit me even more than the 610
Definitely, since it has more inputs and has a Wordclock, so if you want to sync external hardware, it's definitely useful. What are your needs? The conversion is the same on both units.
Old 1st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Definitely, since it has more inputs and has a Wordclock, so if you want to sync external hardware, it's definitely useful. What are your needs? The conversion is the same on both units.
I want no limitations. I want to be able to have the best sound as possible within my budget range. I'm getting deeper in artist development. I'm going to try and put out my own artist and get him/her/them a deal. And i want to have a really good sound.
I don't know anything about hardware, or what is really needed, i can just turn some knobs until i feel i have the sound i want. And now i'm at the point where my equipment don't do it for me anymore so i want to upgrage.

So far i'm thinking of getting the 2626, with an apogee mini dac. Do you recommend an external eq/compressor as well. Or do you think software should be able to handle that. I have ssl, api, waves, urs, liquid bundle, etc etc.
Old 1st July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdub View Post
I want no limitations. I want to be able to have the best sound as possible within my budget range. I'm getting deeper in artist development. I'm going to try and put out my own artist and get him/her/them a deal. And i want to have a really good sound.
I don't know anything about hardware, or what is really needed, i can just turn some knobs until i feel i have the sound i want. And now i'm at the point where my equipment don't do it for me anymore so i want to upgrage.

So far i'm thinking of getting the 2626, with an apogee mini dac. Do you recommend an external eq/compressor as well. Or do you think software should be able to handle that. I have ssl, api, waves, urs, liquid bundle, etc etc.
How many tracks are you going to be recording at the same time? If you only need max 4 channels, then the 610 is the way to go. if you need more, then the 2626 is better. Today I rented an SSL Alpha channel, it has SPDIF out and could easily be used with a 610 or 2626. Avalon 737, great river are also great preamps. What is your budget? Check out my post about the SSL Alpha Channel. I have some samples in there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search