The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Heat From Active Monitors?
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Addict

Heat From Active Monitors?

I am curious as to how much heat is given off by the amps inside various active monitors and if the speakers themselves become warm? I am concerned about the heating of speakers, because I am chemically sensitive, and heating the speakers increases off-gassing of the cabinets and components. I am under the impression that active monitors will elicit more sonic clarity, but if they heat up, they are not an option for me due to increased off-gassing issues. Could some people chime in on various models as to their heat properties and also if you notice any smells with your particular model?

Thanks for your help.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

Dove - wow sounds crazy

but my K&H 0300 never get anymore than slightly warm and never smell.

On the other hand my PC DAW gets well hot and stinks inside there - PC's are off-gassing heaven I would say - now you mention it.

TMY
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Addict

Ya the quad stays in the closet but monitors need to be where I can hear em. Just wondering if active's smell or if i'd be okay with them?
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

brand new equipment sometimes smells for a couple of weeks.
but my msp5 monitors don't smell or get hot.
i also have yorkvillie unity u15p's(800 watts) and they don't get hot or smell either,there's a fan in those.
i think your o.k. there.
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Most modern day Powered Monitors are designed very well to disperse heat away from the cones themselves. They are usually designed with metal Heat Sinks (metal fins) on the rear of the power supply. Although powered speakers do not put off a significant amount of heat, the size of the room you are working in will dictate how warm your environment will get. Powered monitors in a 10X15 room get warmer than a 20X23 Room size. As far as chemicals, strict testing and guidelines prevent most products from emitting harmful chemical irritants. More so today than in our past.

I own a pair of Yamaha HS80 Monitors. Little heat, no smell, great sound, huge punch, small package.
Old 29th June 2009
Lives for gear

My HR824s only get a little warm. But, like Cavern said, new gear will always smell. And, I would be more concerned about what materials you are sensitive to rather than what puts off the most heat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search