The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making a crappy steel snare drum sound good.
Old 2nd July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonrichter View Post
For the record, I realize a steel snare has a certain amount of 'bong' by nature. The problem here is that the 'bong' on this one is unpleasant.
It's not possible for the words 'bong' and 'unpleasant' to be used in the same sentence

A bad snare drum will sound bad. You need a good shell for a good drum. You can't make a bad snare sound good. The best you could to is keep the tuning tighter rather than looser, and the shorter the snares, the better. Remember micing it will make it sound different to how you hear it.
Old 2nd July 2009
(Note: as posted earlier I think I finally have this thing sounding decent, but I'll answer these anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Long View Post
what kind of snare is it?
It's a chrome-colored Ludwig with no other identifying text on the inside or outside. It has seen better days but it seems structurally solid.

Quote:
Steel is usually pretty good sounding..
I'll readily admit to a general preference for a medium depth wooden snare, but I can't afford to be picky about such things right now.

Quote:
What heads have you used?
Remo heads of unknown model (white coated). Nothing esoteric.

Quote:
Also Steven Slate rolls duct tape in little hoops with the sticky side OUTWARD and uses it to damp snares,
Quote:
I used to use moongels but the ductape works way better.
What seems to work for me is the rough textured side of a washcloth resting lightly on the snare edge via gravity (positioned to taste... I like about 1+1/2 inches from the rim), with tape holding it to the shell rather than the head. I will have to try the tape rolls idea and see what happens.
Old 2nd July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandy View Post
It's not possible for the words 'bong' and 'unpleasant' to be used in the same sentence
Bongs smell a bit like cat urine to me, but then again, chips smell gross when someone else eats them in the car, but taste darn good when you're eating them.
Old 2nd July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkom View Post
Drumagog + SSD 3.0 + blend = one great snare sound.
This is pretty much what I would say.

Something else I've found useful on crap snare drums is multiband compression, but I don't remember exactly what I did. It took a lot of fiddling around with Waves C4 and Q8 but I eventually got a good, rock sound out of a snare that sounded like a biscuit tin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search