The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DMP3, Mico, P-Solo, Grace M-101
Old 4th August 2012
Gear Head

I have a P-Solo and a Grace M-101.

Both very nice, clean, although the P-Solo has a 'little something'.

The Grace sounds crystal clear on Acoustic guitars and also has a ribbon button/circuitry.
I love an AT4050 on male baritone vocal through the P-Solo and I love an AT4047 through the grace with a female soprano.

If I could only have one, I'd probably choose the Grace as it has the added ribbon circuitry but saying that, if I was only going to record my own vocals I'd stick with the AT4050 and P-Solo as this has worked for me and taken a while to find a combination that sounds good on my voice. For Tenor singers it seems they sound good with a variety of combinations of mics and pres but for me (baritone) less so.
Old 20th August 2012
I have stuck with Soundcraft, for the moment. Have a Notepad 124 that goes everywhere with me on gigs, and also have an EPM12 for big orchestra gigs, But I got a rather spectacular Verdi REQUIEM last week, with just 2 Omnimouse mics on a spreader bar some 20 feet over the conductor's podium.
Old 20th August 2012
Gear Maniac

I had a DMP3 and really liked it. It was a significant upgrade over what I'd been using before. Then I got a RNP and sold the DMP3 shortly afterward. The RNP completely smokes the DMP3 at its own game. More gain, more detail, more headroom, and more vibe. And it's not THAT expensive - ~$500 for two channels.
Old 20th August 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
For Tenor singers it seems they sound good with a variety of combinations of mics and pres but for me (baritone) less so.
Why do you think that is? I feel like baritones would benefit more from a more ballsy fuller sound, but for tenors it wouldn't matter as much. idk tho. I don't exactly have a lot of mics/preamps to experiment with it. :P

As for a preamp, I just ordered another m-101, so I guess that'd tell you what I think about that one...
📝 Reply