Lives for gear

CAR HIFI SYSTEM without A CAR :)

What's up?

I wanna build something like a real nasty, portable ghettoblaster. I got:

- A subwoofer-roll
- two speakers
- an amplifier
- a USB/CD/radio.

Everything from my old car system. I wanna put those things together to one BIG; roll-able piece of blasting-noise-bringer Got it?
I will have to go to the hardware-shop, to get me some wood and stuff.

My biggest problem is the power-issue. Do you think a regular car-battery will do the math? How am I supposed to recharge it?

Does anyone have some ideas/advices? Did somebody allready build something like that in the past?

Help apreciated!
Peace
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Addict

Just get a transformer, or a car-battery charger. You'll be good to go!

Oh yeah. I build something like this for in my boat. With a car battery. Problem is, as long as you're running just a car stereo it will play for hours, but when adding additional amplifiers (for subs for instance) the battery will be dead in 2 hours. I would recommend the transformer anyway. Cause you know that the battery always will be emtpy just when you need to use it!

And.. not to be an asshole, but one of the reasons a car sounds so different is the closed environment. So i would install it in a vocal booth or something, to duplicate the small "room".
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Saw one for like 22 Euros on eBay, but I gotta plug it into a ruglar electric socket in order to charge it. I wanna go to a 3-day festival. There won't be any sockets :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYeah View Post
Just get a transformer, or a car-battery charger. You'll be got to go!
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Addict

You know, construction workers in Holland often have those kind of self-made radio's. Or boomboxes. Without the Sub, i think you can get some decent time out of your battery. Also depends on the battery of course. (How many Ampere)

But three days... don't know. Take multiple batteries?
Old 25th June 2009
For three days you could use a car battery and hook it to your car with jumper cables and charge it with the car's alternator whenever it dies. Otherwise you'll need a generator for that length of time. Or a crapload of batteries.
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I own a 12 volt audio store.
We power our main display board with a 12 volt power supply running to a deep cycle marine battery.
Powers 17 display radios,2 video monitors,2 capacitors and 2 sub amps without breaking a sweat.

You'll drain a car battery pretty quick if that is the route you choose to take.
A deep cycle marine battery will work much better but before it goes dead make sure it gets a full charge otherwise they don't last too long.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search