The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I/O Quandary
Old 25th June 2009
Here for the gear

I/O Quandary

I'm moving and want to expand my setup. I'm currently using an MBox 2. I figure I need 16 simultaneous inputs to be able to do what I want, which is record larger bands live, minus vocals.

My budget is around $2000. I've been looking at getting 2 MOTU 8pres and chaining them via firewire, in the interest of price vs. 003 plus an 8 preamp unit. In the future I would like to get a modest analog console, and keep recording into the computer, so I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on something that would restrict I/O capabilities (the 8pres only have the ADAT out, so I couldn't run that to an analog desk, unless I'm not thinking of a workaround).

If I were to get the MOTUs, I would probably track in Logic and mix in PT.

Does this seem reasonable? Is there a better way to do this?

Old 26th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp614 View Post
I'm moving and want to expand my setup. I'm currently using an MBox 2. I figure I need 16 simultaneous inputs to be able to do what I want, which is record larger bands live, minus vocals.

My budget is around $2000. I've been looking at getting 2 MOTU 8pres and chaining them via firewire, in the interest of price vs. 003 plus an 8 preamp unit. In the future I would like to get a modest analog console, and keep recording into the computer, so I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on something that would restrict I/O capabilities (the 8pres only have the ADAT out, so I couldn't run that to an analog desk, unless I'm not thinking of a workaround).

If I were to get the MOTUs, I would probably track in Logic and mix in PT.

Does this seem reasonable? Is there a better way to do this?
Hey there. Using two MOTUs doesn't sound unreasonable at all, but 'chaining them via firewire' may be a problem. Firewire devices and interfaces can be finicky, and using the two in a row on it might result in them not working properly or going too slowly.. It might not even be possible. I'm not certain of this I just know from experience sometimes this is the case. If I were using them I would use one as the interface and use a digital out on the other to the interfaces digital in.

A better option might be using a motu 8pre as an interface and get a different 8 channel pre amp. Not that you couldn't simply use the second 8pre, but it being an interface as well seems like maybe it'd be a waste of money to use it just for it's preamps. You could get a better one or a cheaper one to save money. That's up to you I suppose. I'm not necessarily an expert on 8-ch pres so I can't tell you which one is the best. Hope this helps!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search